Jazz

You probably saw me.
I was front row.
In that first picture I was right next, or behind, that guy on the far left with his girl.
Sweaty dude, long hair, Ween hat.

Anywho, absolutely amazing.
I’ve got a few videos on my phone although I don’t think you can really see anyone.
“Blood Of the Past,” “Unity,” “Start Running” for sure I think I have one more.
Let me sleep then I’ll try to get some up.

Was really impressed by the drummer and keyboardist, who’s name’s I embarrassingly don’t know even though he introduced them twice, who both got a little time to shine.
More than they do on the albums.
I mean, shit, we got a 5-6 minute drum solo. 👌

I noticed near the beginning of the show Shabaka talking off his shoes, and then shortly after taking off his socks.
I see Ween do that too.
Must be something with the vibrations.
Anyone know?

But they are great live,
songs translated well,
some even better imo, from the albums. Transitions were incredible and well done, I think there were only two compete stops...?

Also, Shabaka’s smile is so pure.
He looks so happy.
Go see them.
That. Was. Exhilarating.

My wife and I go to 3-4 live shows a month. (Music fans - don't sleep on the Twin Cities as one of the most ardent and supportive music scenes in the country.) It's been a looooong time since I've seen a crowd response like that. I would call it "rapturous." There were some serious out-of-body experiences going on at the Turf Club.

@Dark Star Boogie did you see the diminutive fella up front who clearly was in another universe? I think he really thought a comet was coming! Dude was losing his :poop:! I was so sure he was going to smack his head on the front of the stage in a rare self-inflicted TKO.

As for the band, it was a frenetic, joyous, edge-of-your-seat, hold on for dear life performance. Felt like the whole night could have went off the rails at any moment - AND I LOVED IT!

Pure joy and a live experience that will not wane.

That. Was. Exhilarating.

My wife and I go to 3-4 live shows a month. (Music fans - don't sleep on the Twin Cities as one of the most ardent and supportive music scenes in the country.) It's been a looooong time since I've seen a crowd response like that. I would call it "rapturous." There were some serious out-of-body experiences going on at the Turf Club.

@Dark Star Boogie did you see the diminutive fella up front who clearly was in another universe? I think he really thought a comet was coming! Dude was losing his :poop:! I was so sure he was going to smack his head on the front of the stage in a rare self-inflicted TKO.

As for the band, it was a frenetic, joyous, edge-of-your-seat, hold on for dear life performance. Felt like the whole night could have went off the rails at any moment - AND I LOVED IT!

Pure joy and a live experience that will not wane.
Hahaha, the guy slamming his hands on the stage repeatedly and shaking his fists at certain band members while screaming, “YES! YES! YES!” He got a few people around him upset. I thought the guy in the bottom right of your first photo was gonna get in it with him for a second, and I hate fights, but it leveled out rather quickly.

But for sure, it’s been probably 9 or so years since I Ive been to the Turf Club (I remembered the Zappa on the shitter poster on the men’s restroom), and was so excited to see that the venue was small. Like damn there was must have been no more than 200-300 people there In guessing. Incredible. I don’t think we’ll ever see them in such an intimate setting again. I hope so, but am doubtful.

Here’s some shitty phone photos—
Qc2oPtU.jpg

Rare, early show photo of Shabaka still wearing shoes 😆

CPJXF53.jpg

JqWIETl.jpg

Shabaka post shoe & sock era

VnuE4Vp.jpg

Wasn’t quick enough for the group photo.

Also, this isn’t the thread for this, but what did you think of the opener? I think he went by Makr, or something similar. He was pretty dope. Seemed like some Aphex Twin inspired IDM. I was diggin it.
iFgFYpR.jpg

I felt bad for him because that same guy you were talking about losing his shit was talking shit about him and how back in his day people used instruments and that his whole set was brought to you by Ableton. Makr, heard this and seemed upset, I even heard him say “Back in my day!” in a very sarcastic and aggressive tone back towards where he was while packing up his equipment.

So, my opinion of that guy was pretty poor before The Comet Is Coming even came on. Dude was sort of obnoxious and slightly disrespectful to fellow audience members.

Team, has anyone picked up this 'Chet Baker ‎– 79 - Round Midnight' release on Wnts Corp. Ltd? Its limited to 500 copies but pretty pricy at 40 Euro plus shipping. I have never heard of this label before and the info on the pressing is really vague to be honest. Sounds like it would be a great bit of music, but it would need to be a decent audiophile quality for me to fork up the kind of money they are asking.

Heres a link to their store and the record. https://wntsjazz.com/products/chet-baker-79-round-midnight-limited-edition-vinyl

Team, has anyone picked up this 'Chet Baker ‎– 79 - Round Midnight' release on Wnts Corp. Ltd? Its limited to 500 copies but pretty pricy at 40 Euro plus shipping. I have never heard of this label before and the info on the pressing is really vague to be honest. Sounds like it would be a great bit of music, but it would need to be a decent audiophile quality for me to fork up the kind of money they are asking.

Heres a link to their store and the record. https://wntsjazz.com/products/chet-baker-79-round-midnight-limited-edition-vinyl
Hmm intriguing...but never heard of them and can't seem to find anything about them. And as you said, I get a little wary when it says stuff like "carefully remastered" but offers no specifics. It also says limited to 500 copies on their YouTube page but 1,000 on the link you posted.

It appears this is a reissue of the materials that were first released as Rendez-vous in 1980. Since this album was reissued on CD with bonus materials in the 1990s, I would be very cautious in jumping on this limited release as it could be using the CD as its source.

TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they have vinyl?
I didn’t see any Merch table except for a stack of CDs. I will say before the show I saw a VMP single mailer on the soundboard table by the sound guy spinnin’ some pre show tunes. Wondered if it was the CIC exclusive. (They pre show tunes were good—“The Sidewinder,” Jamilia Woods - “Giovanni,” Little Simz - “Therapy.” From what I remember.)

I’m jealous man, I want to see them again already.

Also, after binging on them the last few days, is their best song “Final Eclipse?” I think so.

I didn’t see any Merch table except for a stack of CDs. I will say before the show I saw a VMP single mailer on the soundboard table by the sound guy spinnin’ some pre show tunes. Wondered if it was the CIC exclusive. (They pre show tunes were good—“The Sidewinder,” Jamilia Woods - “Giovanni,” Little Simz - “Therapy.” From what I remember.)

I’m jealous man, I want to see them again already.

Also, after binging on them the last few days, is their best song “Final Eclipse?” I think so.

I guess I go to Bandcamp.

I guess I go to Bandcamp.
Wait and see though, I tried looking after the show, and the place was small, but honestly I was hoping to buy something to support them. Maybe that new Prophecy repress or a t-shirt.

Definitely left a little disappointed about that, but still soaring on the energy from the show.

Have fun!

Wait and see though, I tried looking after the show, and the place was small, but honestly I was hoping to buy something to support them. Maybe that new Prophecy repress or a t-shirt.

Definitely left a little disappointed about that, but still soaring on the energy from the show.

Have fun!

To late, already went to Amoeba and bought it. Gotta love free shipping inside CA.

Also like to give a shout out to https://extralovelyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/lo-que-es earlier recommended by @ThePakoBuelna

I've been enjoying listening to it a lot at work. Really chilled out...I think if you liked the MdCL vibe it will also be interesting for you.

edit: I bought it off hhv where it's listed for pre-order still

Glad you liked it. Vinyl sounds lovely and the limited edition is a nice shade of transparent red. Did you managed to get the black one or red? What I didn't like was that it came on a black sleeve with just a sticker on the sleeve, its a thick sleeve but I wanted also a cover lol. Minor grips. pressing is nice!

Back