Jazz

Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened is getting a reissue. Pressing of 300 on sale at VMP now if you still trust them to mail it to ya. Otherwise, pressing limited to 1000 is up on amazon/bullmoose as well.

Last edited:
Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened is getting a reissue. Pressing of 300 on sale at VMP now if you still trust them to mail it to ya. Otherwise, pressing limited to 1000 is up on amazon/bullmoose as well.

Fantastic news, I believe this is the first time it has been reissued on wax. I went for the VMP one, £22 is a standard price nowadays and at the very worst it will just take a bit longer to get to me.

Fantastic news, I believe this is the first time it has been reissued on wax. I went for the VMP one, £22 is a standard price nowadays and at the very worst it will just take a bit longer to get to me.
Yes--first reissue ever on vinyl. It does seem that it might be from high res digital sources....but I still pulled the trigger on it. There's a 20% off VMP code as well if you haven't used it already. Seems to work on 1 order for each customer.

Really looking forward to this. It’s been tough to even find on CD!

Last edited:
Great record. As noted, from HiRez but if you don't have the International Phonograph version, I'd say money well spent. I wonder if reissues of Flight For Four or Self-Determination Music could be far behind?
The International Phonograph version is a CD right? I couldn't seem to find any other vinyl releases of this outside of the OG pressing.

The International Phonograph version is a CD right? I couldn't seem to find any other vinyl releases of this outside of the OG pressing.
Yes, sorry if I was not clear. I know this is an LP-focused site but thought it was worth mentioning since Jonathan did such a great job (and is a great person to boot). I think the only LP IP ever did Dogon AD and it didn't last long.

Yes, sorry if I was not clear. I know this is an LP-focused site but thought it was worth mentioning since Jonathan did such a great job (and is a great person to boot). I think the only LP IP ever did Dogon AD and it didn't last long.
I was mostly just confused because of the name of the company and that they seem to do CDs as well as the LP I saw on their site. Hadn't heard of them prior to today but I'll check them out!

I was mostly just confused because of the name of the company and that they seem to do CDs as well as the LP I saw on their site. Hadn't heard of them prior to today but I'll check them out!
Sadly, Jonathan doesn't seem to be doing reissues anymore since licensing has become impossible. There was hope (discussion over at Organissimo) that he was going to do Joe Daley's Live At Newport with extra music but he never could pull it off. All of the CDs are incredible with meticulous attention to detail - I have them all expect for Film Noir because I already have a mint LP copy of that one from back in the day.

This is a tremendous spiritual jazz album. I cherish my copy.

Back