Jazz

Looks like this is getting a repress, shows out of stock on Bandcamp. Did anyone get it first time round? What I've heard of it sounds pretty awesome.

I got it through a music magpie offer/glitch (cost me a tenner) and its SOOOOO good. Its a lengthy package and really great music. Listen to the sample tracks on bandcamp if your not sure, its much most jazz based than his latest release.

Oh brilliant, I saw the poster for that! Looks like it was a great night!
Yea, super fun. Short sets from Angel, Jaimie Branch, Resavoir, Makaya/Junius Paul, Resavoir, and Black Monument Ensemble with a documentary about the making of "Universal Beings" and Gilles doing interviews in between.

It is really a great moment for the jazz that they are supporting through the label here. Seeing hundreds of people come out to shows on a week night is wild. Even just a few years ago, when they were doing the shows that became "In the Moment" the crowds were small and fairly disinterested, but now it is a really vibrant community around the label. I am sure that some of the other Jazz players in the city think it's unfair that their shows and records don't get the same kind of attention, but I would argue that it can only help the scene as a whole.

I absolutely love the Damon Locks/Black Monument record. And the label puts out a insanely high quality product when it comes to vinyl. VMP could learn a thing or two about IA’s packaging and pressings, which are generally competitive with VMPs pricing.

also Jaimie Branch- Fly or Die

Yes, great label very popular round these parts . Branch, Jeff Parker, Makaya ,etc, lovely stuff done right !
I absolutely love the Damon Locks/Black Monument record. And the label puts out a insanely high quality product when it comes to vinyl. VMP could learn a thing or two about IA’s packaging and pressings, which are generally competitive with VMPs pricing.

also Jaimie Branch- Fly or Die

My Parker arrived direct from the label this afternoon. Agreed, sounds fantastic.

Speaking of International Anthem, this Pitchfork piece will likely be of interest to some:

“There’s going to be a lot of energy and emotions and people trying to topple over the fucking fascists running our country. We want to be putting out music that’s fueling the fire.”

Last edited:
My Parker arrived direct from the label this afternoon. Agreed, sounds fantastic.

Speaking of International Anthem, this Pitchfork piece will likely be of interest to some:

“There’s going to be a lot of energy and emotions and people trying to topple over the fucking fascists running our country. We want to be putting out music that’s fueling the fire.”
i was just About to link the same article here.

Yea, super fun. Short sets from Angel, Jaimie Branch, Resavoir, Makaya/Junius Paul, Resavoir, and Black Monument Ensemble with a documentary about the making of "Universal Beings" and Gilles doing interviews in between.

It is really a great moment for the jazz that they are supporting through the label here. Seeing hundreds of people come out to shows on a week night is wild. Even just a few years ago, when they were doing the shows that became "In the Moment" the crowds were small and fairly disinterested, but now it is a really vibrant community around the label. I am sure that some of the other Jazz players in the city think it's unfair that their shows and records don't get the same kind of attention, but I would argue that it can only help the scene as a whole.

Lex Blondin, founder of Total Refreshment Center in London, was there too. It must be for some reason :) Here I hope for another London/Chicago jazz record.

This might be of interest to some of you UK/London based people. Anthony Braxton has confirmed a 3 day residency at Cafe Oto. Its a superb, tiny venue (the 'stage' is literally one step off the floor and they lay it out prior to the gig). I will warn you though, pretty pricey at £45 per day (£40 for early bird)......heres a link anyway.

And to show you how intimate the venue is, heres a photo I dug up of the band bowing at the end of the Ata Kak (obscure Ghanaian dance/rap musician) gig back in 2018. They are actually stood on the stage at this point so it gives you an idea of just how DIY it is.

IMG_7406.JPG

This might be of interest to some of you UK/London based people. Anthony Braxton has confirmed a 3 day residency at Cafe Oto. Its a superb, tiny venue (the 'stage' is literally one step off the floor and they lay it out prior to the gig). I will warn you though, pretty pricey at £45 per day (£40 for early bird)......heres a link anyway.

And to show you how intimate the venue is, heres a photo I dug up of the band bowing at the end of the Ata Kak (obscure Ghanaian dance/rap musician) gig back in 2018. They are actually stood on the stage at this point so it gives you an idea of just how DIY it is.

View attachment 29362

I had tickets for the Sunday session but had to cancel, I forgot it was my mum's 70th birthday so I'm off up north this weekend and won't be back in time. Bit gutted but he'll be back. Still got tickets for Nat Birchall later in the year for Oto.

Back