Jazz

Question for y'all. Is this a good album, and would the pressing to get be the 1986 Blue Note?

Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Max Roach: Money Jungle

I see there are a number of gray-market DOL and Waxtime releases, which I want to avoid.

(Probably not dropping $80 on the 200g Blue Note version, haha)

Question for y'all. Is this a good album, and would the pressing to get be the 1986 Blue Note?

I see there are a number of gray-market DOL and Waxtime releases, which I want to avoid.

It's a great album IMO but as @jamieanderson1968 says, it's scheduled for a good release in a few months.

It's a great album IMO but as @jamieanderson1968 says, it's scheduled for a good release in a few months.

That's good to know. There's a 1986 BlueNote version on eBay for $30, got a private offer for $22 from the seller, which sounds pretty good to me. But what do I know?

Can you wait until March? It is part of the 2020 Blue Note Tone Poet reissue series. It will sound great and be less than $30Usd.

Think it will sound amazing? The write-up sounds promising. What's a good US source for Tone Poet releases?

That's good to know. There's a 1986 BlueNote version on eBay for $30, got a private offer for $22 from the seller, which sounds pretty good to me. But what do I know?

Think it will sound amazing? The write-up sounds promising. What's a good US source for Tone Poet releases?

Those mid 80s releases don't have the best rep. They were the early days of using DMM and out of all of the variations of BN releases they're widely considered bottom tier in terms of sound quality. I don't actually have any to offer a personal opinion on that.
The TPs have all sounded grand so far, really good sonics and great packaging quality too.
If you don't mind shopping at Amazon, they've all been available there, often at great prices too.

Definitely avoid this until the TP. I picked up a grey market press of this earlier this year and it sounded ATROCIOUS. Apparently the original recording wasn’t very good to begin with so I’m interested to hear how it’ll come out in a couple months.

Looking forward to seeing where this label goes. Here’s hoping they’ll locate and use proper source materials over needle drops.

To follow-up on this, looks like the Tino Contreras record is a needle drop. Disappointing; hard pass for me. Will stick to streaming.

First single from 'We're New Again' is out...everything Makaya touches turns to gold these days, but this is gonna be especially rad...

To coincide with the Makaya McCraven reworking and the 10th anniversary, the original Gil Scott-Heron version of I'm New Here is getting reissued with bonus vinyl containing previously unheard material.

gil-scott-heron-i-m-new-here-anniversaryedition-4000x4000.png

"In February 2010, the late, legendary musician, poet and author Gil Scott-Heron released his thirteenth, and last, studio album. First conceptualised in 2005, and ultimately produced by XL Recordings head Richard Russell during New York recording sessions that commenced in January 2008, 'I’m New Here' was Scott-Heron’s first album in thirteen years and found him sounding as vital, boundary-pushing and insightful as ever before. XL Recordings release a limited-edition, expanded version of the album on its 10th anniversary. In addition to the original album, the 'I'm New Here 10th Anniversary Edition' features two unreleased tracks - a cover of Richie Havens’ 'Handsome Johnny’ and a previously unheard Scott-Heron song 'King Henry IV’ - as well as a selection of other recordings from the original I’m New Here sessions that were only previously available on a rare, vinyl only deluxe version of the LP."

I appreciate the tips and the insight, I am in no rush (and on a vinyl diet), so it's best I wait anyway.
What Ghost said. I've heard the Classic and it's pretty good but this is certainly no audiophile recording. Avoid all of those crappy versions. Honestly, I know it's not sexy anymore, but the CD is pretty solid - 8 extra cuts and Malcolm Addey's mastering.

The Tone Poet version will far and away be the best version you can get for $30.

Just got back from my first gig of the year, Wildflower at The Crypt in Camberwell, London. The venue is the basement (crypt) of a church, and its amazing! As for the music......incredible. They played for an hour straight and never once stopped, killer stuff.

The Crypt is super tiny and with all the tables in there you can barely move. At the end of their session the 3 of them (with Tom Herbert replacing Leon Brichard for the night) just hung out on the stage and chatted. I mentioned I brought their latest album along and before I could even ask them to sign it, they huddled over to the corner where I was sitting and pulled out pens to sign the blank label. I asked Tom Herbert if he could sign it as well (I know he's not on the album but he was a fantastic stand in and played amazingly) and he wrote a funny line to clarify who he was.

Great night!

IMG_1860.JPG
IMG_2928.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG

Thats.......mental. What a find, great way to start off 2020!
And I went to another shop here in Dallas (Josey Records) and randomly there was a live in -store performance by Black Pumas and they signed records afterwards! Lucked out big time today. Also snagged a copy of Miles Live Evil with the crazy cover

Back