Jazz

Anybody know of a good 33RPM pressing of Art Blakey!!! Jazz Messengers!! ? Currently eyeballing the AP 45RPM version but not too keen on flipping this thing a bajillion times

This record was pressed so many times back in the day that you can find 60's Liberty and 70s United Artists 33rpm pressings with the Van Gelder master plates for decent prices if you keep an eye on Discogs/ReverbLP/Ebay.

This record was pressed so many times back in the day that you can find 60's Liberty and 70s United Artists 33rpm pressings with the Van Gelder master plates for decent prices if you keep an eye on Discogs/ReverbLP/Ebay.
I think you are confusing this with another Jazz Messengers album but I agree with you on early reissues. There’s a few late 60’s early 70’s represses that pop up every week it seems for around $30. They are the rainbow label ones used by Impulse in that era. Just make sure that Van Gelder is stamped in the deadwax. I would personally go for those in clean condition.

I don’t have the AP issue but I assume that and the Speakers Corner issues are fantastic modern reissues as well.

I think you are confusing this with another Jazz Messengers album but I agree with you on early reissues. There’s a few late 60’s early 70’s represses that pop up every week it seems for around $30. They are the rainbow label ones used by Impulse in that era. Just make sure that Van Gelder is stamped in the deadwax. I would personally go for those in clean condition.

I don’t have the AP issue but I assume that and the Speakers Corner issues are fantastic modern reissues as well.

Ah, my bad! Exact issue I would call out for the Impulse as well. Still a lot of the Impulse catalog available at really nice prices on really nice wax if you move past the orange and black labels and into the later 60s and early 70s pressings.

I'm looking to buy some books on jazz to read this winter. As someone who has just started getting into jazz since joining VMP a few years ago, what would you recommend picking up? I know there's a Blue Note book that everyone likes, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

I'm looking to buy some books on jazz to read this winter. As someone who has just started getting into jazz since joining VMP a few years ago, what would you recommend picking up? I know there's a Blue Note book that everyone likes, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.
The Blue Notes cover book is good but its more of an art book/coffee table book. I have both volumes and while they are good, its perhaps not what you are after given your desire for the listening notes etc.

The Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression is a favourite of mine, and fully covers the history of the label and the key albums (with comprehensive notes). The Verve book, Verve: the Sound of America, has the same layout etc and is also fantastic. Both of these books appear pricey but can be picked up at a good price (I paid £20 for the Verve and £22 for the Blue Note) and are MASSIVE coffee table books.

The Jazz Tradition by Martin T. Williams is a good book but arguably quite 'heavy'. You need a real interest in the genre to stick with it as he gets really deep and detailed. Its also kind of dated in the sense that it was written in 1970, although if you have 'classic' pre-70's albums then his points are still relevant.

While it does not provide comprehensive notes on specific albums, HOW TO LISTEN TO JAZZ By Ted Gioia is a recent release which has had great reviews. I have yet to read it but I believe it would cover the 'different styles' part of your search.

If you find a specific artist you really dig then check to see if he/she has a autobiography. This might be more useful later on once you have found/read an more general book, but still worth remembering. I have read a TON in the past couple of years and learn so much from them. The more you read the more you start seeing bit tie together as well. Good ones include - Miles: The Autobiography , Straight Life: The Story Of Art Pepper , Herbie Hancock: Possibilities , Raise Up Off Me: A Portrait of Hampton Hawes and, although it doesnt actually cover that much of his musical life, Beneath the Underdog by Charles Mingus

While its not a book, its also well worth looking at the London Jazz Collector's website. The chances are he will have reviewed/posted about an album you have and often goes into great detail on the history behind it. Theres also general, super detailed, posts about specific labels, sub-genre's, pressings, etc.

Hope this is a bit of a start.
Here you go. The Uncompromising Expression is the Blue Note book. It is fantastic but its a chunky coffee table book, not one you would carry around in your bag.

So... I’m sitting here having my mind melted by the new reissue of Azar Lawrence’s Summer Solstice from Jazz Dispensary. It got me to thinking, we’ve all been delving into this Prestige and Strata East and ECM stuff from the sixties and seventies... there is just soooo much Jazz that seems amazing to me and I never would have heard of without these labels doing these represses and the good folks here pointing the way. Why do some things sort of catch the Zeitgeist and everyone knows it, whether it’s Miles and KOB or Coltrane and A Love Supreme or Herbie with The Headhunters; but other stuff like Azar Lawrence, Harold Alexander, etc that is legit amazing gets forgotten in the annals? I guess it happens in other music, it just seems like there is more legit forgotten masterpieces with Jazz.

I'd have to say bandwidth. People only have so many hours in the day to pay attention to music. Therefore, you can only discover so much.

But I think the back end of that is that jazz has a structure of vetting performers that prevents low quality stuff getting through to record labels. People gotta spend time in the woodshed and pay their dues before they even get a spot in a band.

Hey, did anyone get their Chet box set from Plaidroom yet? I thought they were sending mine with the RSD orders I grabbed from them but it wasn't with those. Just curious if they've started sending them out or not.

Hey, did anyone get their Chet box set from Plaidroom yet? I thought they were sending mine with the RSD orders I grabbed from them but it wasn't with those. Just curious if they've started sending them out or not.
Haven’t gotten a shipping notification yet but I checked Informed Delivery and it looks like I have a package from Dublin, OH on the way scheduled for Friday delivery. Plaidroom is located in Ohio, so I imagine that would be it. Really excited to get my hands on this one, especially considering Chet Baker Sings is getting the TP treatment in February!

What are everyone’s thoughts on the two Black Friday Miles Davis releases? Pressings good and all that jazz?
I wasn't around for Black Friday, so I delayed purchasing either title until today actually. I picked up Early Minor for $11 on eBay. I like that era Miles Davis so figured it was worth grabbing at that price. I have heard mixed reviews about the pressing - some have said there was a bad batch. I guess I'll find out when it arrives.

I had been listening to Miles in Tokyo the last couple of weeks. Decent set - and well reviewed - but not something I was really desperate to get my hands on. You can pick it for $19.99+shipping via Comeback Vinyl on eBay. They've already sold 64 copies and have more than 10 remaining. I've had a copy in my cart for a few days but haven't checked out yet.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the two Black Friday Miles Davis releases? Pressings good and all that jazz?

My copy of the Live in Tokyo sounds great. I bought it because I wanted to hear how Sam Rivers (who I love) fared with Miles’ second great group (Shorter would soon replace him). My takeaway is that Miles plays a lot more than usual on this record, which of course I like, but I’m guessing the motivation was to prevent Rivers from playing too much.

Well, in the last 2 days I've scrolled all 103 pages of this thread. I've learned a lot. My eyes are tired. Somehow my wallet doesn't hurt, as I've already spent too much the last few weeks and waiting for a bunch of Tone Poet/BN80's from uDiscover, which was supposed to ship on Nov 30th and still hasn't.

But more importantly, I'm rewarding myself with a ticket to Ezra Collective on Sunday. It's the least I could do for myself.

Did anyone pick up that Bill Evans album from barnes & Nobles “Smile With Your Heart”? Worth the pick up?

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2020 Release Schedule:
January 24

February 28
  • Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
  • Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)
March 27
  • Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)
  • Herbie Hancock – The Prisoner (Blue Note, 1969)
April 24
  • Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)
May 22
  • Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)
June 26
  • Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)
July 24
  • Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
  • Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)
August 28
  • Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
September 25
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
October 23
  • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
November 20
  • Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
December 11
  • Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2020 Release Schedule:
January 24

February 28
  • Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
  • Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)
March 27
  • Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)
  • Herbie Hancock – The Prisoner (Blue Note, 1969)
April 24
  • Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)
May 22
  • Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)
June 26
  • Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)
July 24
  • Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
  • Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)
August 28
  • Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
September 25
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
October 23
  • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
November 20
  • Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
December 11
  • Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)
Absolutely blinding! Thanks for this. Im all in apart from the cooker (I bought an OG Mono earlier in the year). So happy with this list!

Back