Jazz

Yeah man, completely agree.

Im assuming their logic is this (although I certainly dont agree with it) - Usually, their test presses/white labels come in a plain black 12" card jacket but they sell through a London store for £50+. This time they sold them for less than the actual pressing and shipped them 2+ months early. I would send them an email or message just to say something, but honestly its not the first time they have had issues with their records. Luckily its actually a great pressing and sounds fantastic, not a single pop or crackle which has been an issue in the past.

Yeah the guys are great musicians, but they are not great planners / logisticians.

Yeah the guys are great musicians, but they are not great planners / logisticians.
Understatement of the year :ROFLMAO:

I still dont quite understand why after recording around 7 albums in one year, plus extensive touring AND other working with other groups they decided to take on the task of getting the records pressed and sorting out the packing, shipping and customer service themselves.

This arrived yesterday
Miles Davis - Early Minor (RSD 2019)

Very excited when this was announced. I first got a taste of jazz when a friend turned me on to In A Silent Way. I was listening to a lot of ambient stuff at the time and In A Silent Way really clicked with me. I found a used copy of the Complete In A Silent Way boxset and just devoured it.
IMG_0231.jpg

I haven't seen enough talk about Daymé Arocena's Sonicardiogram on Brownswood. The more I spin it, the more I'm convinced it's one of the best records of the year. Her singing is amazing, the diverse array of sounds and influences displayed makes the record very fun and unique, and the musicians who acompany her are top notch too. Give it a listen if you haven't alreay. I don't listen to a lot of vocal jazz, but this record (which is definitely jazz, but also definitely not-only-jazz) has grabed me like very few in recent time.

If any of you use Spotify its the breakdowns of the year today. Turns out I listen to Miles......a lot.

View attachment 25045

Mine

ELBbTIWXkAQZw2F.jpg

ELBbTIuXYAAopxC.jpg

ELBbTIyWkAE__nj.jpg

Bummed to see that about the Wildflower. Mine has to get all the way to Chicago without getting thrashed. Doesn't seem too promising.

Had a few nice pick ups today. Found a sealed copy of the Dolphy "Musical Prophet" RSD release for it's original asking price and a cheap copy of the Bill Dixon "Intents and Purposes" reissue from Superior Viaduct. Anyone else have solid digs this weekend?

Nice pick up on the Dolphy set. that's a beauty ! Dixons good too .
Bummed to see that about the Wildflower. Mine has to get all the way to Chicago without getting thrashed. Doesn't seem too promising.

Had a few nice pick ups today. Found a sealed copy of the Dolphy "Musical Prophet" RSD release for it's original asking price and a cheap copy of the Bill Dixon "Intents and Purposes" reissue from Superior Viaduct. Anyone else have solid digs this weekend?

So... I’m sitting here having my mind melted by the new reissue of Azar Lawrence’s Summer Solstice from Jazz Dispensary. It got me to thinking, we’ve all been delving into this Prestige and Strata East and ECM stuff from the sixties and seventies... there is just soooo much Jazz that seems amazing to me and I never would have heard of without these labels doing these represses and the good folks here pointing the way. Why do some things sort of catch the Zeitgeist and everyone knows it, whether it’s Miles and KOB or Coltrane and A Love Supreme or Herbie with The Headhunters; but other stuff like Azar Lawrence, Harold Alexander, etc that is legit amazing gets forgotten in the annals? I guess it happens in other music, it just seems like there is more legit forgotten masterpieces with Jazz.

Marketing/Promotion .
So... I’m sitting here having my mind melted by the new reissue of Azar Lawrence’s Summer Solstice from Jazz Dispensary. It got me to thinking, we’ve all been delving into this Prestige and Strata East and ECM stuff from the sixties and seventies... there is just soooo much Jazz that seems amazing to me and I never would have heard of without these labels doing these represses and the good folks here pointing the way. Why do some things sort of catch the Zeitgeist and everyone knows it, whether it’s Miles and KOB or Coltrane and A Love Supreme or Herbie with The Headhunters; but other stuff like Azar Lawrence, Harold Alexander, etc that is legit amazing gets forgotten in the annals? I guess it happens in other music, it just seems like there is more legit forgotten masterpieces with Jazz.

Things are changing a little with all these reissue labels. People like Jazz Dispensary, Mr Bongo, Superfly Records, Mad About Records, Far Out Recordings etc... are doing an incredible job in this area.

Anybody know of a good 33RPM pressing of Art Blakey!!! Jazz Messengers!! ? Currently eyeballing the AP 45RPM version but not too keen on flipping this thing a bajillion times

Im quite partial to a number of jazz documentaries/films:
I Called Him Morgan - Lee Morgan documentary
Chasing Trane - John Coltrane Documentary
My Name Is Albert Ayler - Albert Ayler Documentary
1959: The Year That Changed Jazz - Documentary focusing on 4 key records released in 1959
Bird - A 1988 film starring Forest Whitaker as Charlie 'Bird' Parker

I also really want to see the new Blue Note documentary but its not yet released online:
Beyond the Notes

As an update I have now seen the Beyond the Notes documentary and its fantastic. I really like how they chat to Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock as they are at a session with the younger generation of musicians (Robert Glasper etc).

Edit: this is great as well, a 1966 documentary looking at Bill Evans, his work, and musical theory - Universal Mind of Bill Evans
Some good documentaries there. I've seen the ones on Lee Morgan, Coltrane, Blue Note and the 1959 one, all great to watch.

There was also a BBC documentary called The Girl From Ipanema: Brazil, Bossa Nova And The Beach which i enjoyed, as well as the PBS Ken Burns Jazz ten part series which I'd recommend too.

Im quite partial to a number of jazz documentaries/films:
I Called Him Morgan - Lee Morgan documentary
Chasing Trane - John Coltrane Documentary
My Name Is Albert Ayler - Albert Ayler Documentary
1959: The Year That Changed Jazz - Documentary focusing on 4 key records released in 1959
Bird - A 1988 film starring Forest Whitaker as Charlie 'Bird' Parker

I also really want to see the new Blue Note documentary but its not yet released online:
Beyond the Notes

As an update I have now seen the Beyond the Notes documentary and its fantastic. I really like how they chat to Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock as they are at a session with the younger generation of musicians (Robert Glasper etc).

Edit: this is great as well, a 1966 documentary looking at Bill Evans, his work, and musical theory - Universal Mind of Bill Evans
@QuickDrawDave reminded me of a fantastic BBC show called 'Jazz 625'. It was a 19-episode show, first broadcast in 1964, which showcased the finest British and American jazz. Heres a great one with Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.

Anybody know of a good 33RPM pressing of Art Blakey!!! Jazz Messengers!! ? Currently eyeballing the AP 45RPM version but not too keen on flipping this thing a bajillion times

I would check out the Speakers Corner version:

They are close enough to AP/MM quality imo and is on 33rpm

Back