Jazz

Can anyone recommend a good "Jazz for newbies" book / boxset / compilation? I'm looking for something covering different styles, with some tracks for each, and - most important - detailed listening notes (I have the Blue Note cover ones in mind). I have maybe a dozen of classic Jazz LPs but trying to go deeper, and to understand - and appreciate - what makes Hard Bop different from Bebop, etc. (if that makes sense!).

Many thanks - and sorry if that's been asked and answered already

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good "Jazz for newbies" book / boxset? I'm looking for something covering different styles, with some tracks for each, and - most important - detailed listening notes (I have the Blue Note cover ones in mind). I have maybe a dozen of classic Jazz LPs but trying to go deeper, and to understand - and appreciate - what makes Hard Bop different from Bebop, etc. (if that makes sense!).

The Blue Notes cover book is good but its more of an art book/coffee table book. I have both volumes and while they are good, its perhaps not what you are after given your desire for the listening notes etc.

The Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression is a favourite of mine, and fully covers the history of the label and the key albums (with comprehensive notes). The Verve book, Verve: the Sound of America, has the same layout etc and is also fantastic. Both of these books appear pricey but can be picked up at a good price (I paid £20 for the Verve and £22 for the Blue Note) and are MASSIVE coffee table books.

The Jazz Tradition by Martin T. Williams is a good book but arguably quite 'heavy'. You need a real interest in the genre to stick with it as he gets really deep and detailed. Its also kind of dated in the sense that it was written in 1970, although if you have 'classic' pre-70's albums then his points are still relevant.

While it does not provide comprehensive notes on specific albums, HOW TO LISTEN TO JAZZ By Ted Gioia is a recent release which has had great reviews. I have yet to read it but I believe it would cover the 'different styles' part of your search.

If you find a specific artist you really dig then check to see if he/she has a autobiography. This might be more useful later on once you have found/read an more general book, but still worth remembering. I have read a TON in the past couple of years and learn so much from them. The more you read the more you start seeing bit tie together as well. Good ones include - Miles: The Autobiography , Straight Life: The Story Of Art Pepper , Herbie Hancock: Possibilities , Raise Up Off Me: A Portrait of Hampton Hawes and, although it doesnt actually cover that much of his musical life, Beneath the Underdog by Charles Mingus

While its not a book, its also well worth looking at the London Jazz Collector's website. The chances are he will have reviewed/posted about an album you have and often goes into great detail on the history behind it. Theres also general, super detailed, posts about specific labels, sub-genre's, pressings, etc.

Hope this is a bit of a start.

@Selaws awesome - many thanks for the pointers, I'll have a look at the books! By the name of it, "how to listen to Jazz" might be the kind of thing I'm looking for

As for the "The Blue Notes cover", I meant the liner notes on Blue Note albums - I was not aware of the book - as I really enjoy things like "listen how they move from 4/4 to 5/4 after the second impro", etc.

@Selaws awesome - many thanks for the pointers, I'll have a look at the books! By the name of it, "how to listen to Jazz" might be the kind of thing I'm looking for

As for the "The Blue Notes cover", I meant the liner notes on Blue Note albums - I was not aware of the book - as I really enjoy things like "listen how they move from 4/4 to 5/4 after the second impro", etc.
Ah I see, my bad. Theres a 2-volume book called 'The Art of Blue Note covers' or something which is basically looking at the artwork rather than the music. I had it confused with those haha.

Yeah I suspect the "how to listen to Jazz" is your best bet then. I have had a look through it in a shop, but not bought it yet. From memory there was a chapter on major movements and what key changes to look out for during a track, sounds like the kid of thing which might interest you.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Comet Is Coming live last night. It was the 3rd of of us seeing them but the first when we weren't standing. It was a fantastic show as always, and amazing to see everyone jumping up and down, even those people that were seated. Even more brilliant was the mix of ages in the audience. There were SEVERAL older couples (im talking 60s-70s here) who were waving their hands and dancing as much as everyone else. Incredible to think such a lively and 'modern' sounding group is attracting such a diverse audience!

View attachment 25209
View attachment 25210
View attachment 25211
There is hope in this world.

Thanks! I am a bassist so I am always wanting to listen to bass heavy stuff, especially with my jazz.

Favorites: Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Jaco / Weather Report. I am much more into fusion stuff than cool jazz. I love horns, but I prefer them to a sweet funky drum beat vs a swing. I doubt I'll ever be able to get too deep into older jazz, but I truly appreciate the nature of the genre.
Have you listened to Herbie Hancock's records with his Headhunters group? I would suggest trying the live album Flood. It's got tons of grooves mixed in with a lot of invention and creative soloing.

While it does not provide comprehensive notes on specific albums, HOW TO LISTEN TO JAZZ By Ted Gioia is a recent release which has had great reviews. I have yet to read it but I believe it would cover the 'different styles' part of your search.
@apassant I was in your position a couple of years ago, and this book helped a lot. It features a list of suggested recordings (specific tracks, not full albums) at the end which are meant to give an overview of the historic development of jazz. I found a spotify playlist with all of the songs listed at the end of the book.

Also, I did a playlist of my own where I compiled different recordings of standards meant to show the different ways in which musicians across different styles and eras have approached the same compositions.

Hope this helps!

Can anyone recommend a good "Jazz for newbies" book / boxset / compilation? I'm looking for something covering different styles, with some tracks for each, and - most important - detailed listening notes (I have the Blue Note cover ones in mind). I have maybe a dozen of classic Jazz LPs but trying to go deeper, and to understand - and appreciate - what makes Hard Bop different from Bebop, etc. (if that makes sense!).

Looks like everyone else got you covered re: books. As for a boxset/compilation, the Ken Burns Jazz boxset is pretty decent (but by no means perfect) for an overview of many different styles and artists.

Looks like everyone else got you covered re: books. As for a boxset/compilation, the Ken Burns Jazz boxset is pretty decent (but by no means perfect) for an overview of many different styles and artists.

While we are at it, how about jazz documentaries? @Selaws I know you have recommended some in the past, but couldn't track down your post.

While we are at it, how about jazz documentaries? @Selaws I know you have recommended some in the past, but couldn't track down your post.
Im quite partial to a number of jazz documentaries/films:
I Called Him Morgan - Lee Morgan documentary
Chasing Trane - John Coltrane Documentary
My Name Is Albert Ayler - Albert Ayler Documentary
1959: The Year That Changed Jazz - Documentary focusing on 4 key records released in 1959
Bird - A 1988 film starring Forest Whitaker as Charlie 'Bird' Parker

I also really want to see the new Blue Note documentary but its not yet released online:
Beyond the Notes

As an update I have now seen the Beyond the Notes documentary and its fantastic. I really like how they chat to Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock as they are at a session with the younger generation of musicians (Robert Glasper etc).

Edit: this is great as well, a 1966 documentary looking at Bill Evans, his work, and musical theory - Universal Mind of Bill Evans

Welcome buddy, you are in good company here. Makaya is killing the scene lately, and his live shows are superb.

As @Mr Moore said, a handful of us managed to snag the white label early release of Wildflower so hopefully we will be able to listen to the full thing over the weekend! Maybe you already know, but they also have a second group with a slight change in line-up called Ill Considered which are superb as well.
Love Ill Considered too. Some really great music coming out of London lately. Been enjoying the Binker Golding LP that came out this year quite a bit too. Much more reserved than what I anticipated after the Binker and Moses records.

Love Ill Considered too. Some really great music coming out of London lately. Been enjoying the Binker Golding LP that came out this year quite a bit too. Much more reserved than what I anticipated after the Binker and Moses records.
Ah superb, I really enjoy his new album too. I actually did'nt pick it up when it was first released but then I had the pleasure of seeing him live at a tiny venue in London. Ended up ordering it that night and im glad I did!

This beauty arrived today. I will give it a spin later, looking forward to it.

As a heads up though (especially to the international folk), the record is just in a non poly-lined inner sleeve, with no outer. The reason I mention this is that even though mine only travelled a few miles (literally the same city), the mailer was pretty banged up and bent at the corners. It doesnt look like theres any warps to the record, but I will have to check when I get it on the turntable. Going to have to try and find a spare outer sleeve now.

IMG_0784.jpg

As a heads up though (especially to the international folk), the record is just in a non poly-lined inner sleeve, with no outer. The reason I mention this is that even though mine only travelled a few miles (literally the same city), the mailer was pretty banged up and bent at the corners. It doesnt look like theres any warps to the record, but I will have to check when I get it on the turntable. Going to have to try and find a spare outer sleeve now.

View attachment 25377
Oh me oh my. Will they ever learn? o_O

Enjoy the record!
Fingers crossed we don’t get a @Mathergate...

View attachment 25377
Great...can’t wait to get mine in the states🤦🏻‍♂️

View attachment 25377
Okay honestly, I like Ill Considered, but that is just straight up cheap and stupid. You can't send a record in a damn paper sleeve. Those sleeves scratch the hell out of everything even IF there IS a jacket. That's brutal.

Okay honestly, I like Ill Considered, but that is just straight up cheap and stupid. You can't send a record in a damn paper sleeve. Those sleeves scratch the hell out of everything even IF there IS a jacket. That's brutal.
Yeah man, completely agree.

Im assuming their logic is this (although I certainly dont agree with it) - Usually, their test presses/white labels come in a plain black 12" card jacket but they sell through a London store for £50+. This time they sold them for less than the actual pressing and shipped them 2+ months early. I would send them an email or message just to say something, but honestly its not the first time they have had issues with their records. Luckily its actually a great pressing and sounds fantastic, not a single pop or crackle which has been an issue in the past.

Back