Jazz

There goes part of my vinyl budget spent.

I was really hoping that tina Brooks would make another appearance and he did
Im excited for that one too! Plus Lee Morgan - The Rajah, that was an unreleased session from the 60's but released in the 80's during the DMM years. Always though that should have a better pressing and now sounds like we are going to get one!

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2020 Release Schedule:
January 24

February 28
  • Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
  • Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)
March 27
  • Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)
  • Herbie Hancock – The Prisoner (Blue Note, 1969)
April 24
  • Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)
May 22
  • Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)
June 26
  • Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)
July 24
  • Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
  • Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)
August 28
  • Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
September 25
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
October 23
  • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
November 20
  • Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
December 11
  • Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)
Well, I guess there are worse ways of dropping $50 a month.

Im excited for that one too! Plus Lee Morgan - The Rajah, that was an unreleased session from the 60's but released in the 80's during the DMM years. Always though that should have a better pressing and now sounds like we are going to get one!

I will have to buy them all but really excited for Grant Green – Nigeria, Herbie Hancock – My Point of View, Duke Pearson – The Phantom & Art Blakey & The Jazz MessengersRoots & Herbs

I will have to buy them all but really excited for Grant Green – Nigeria, Herbie Hancock – My Point of View, Duke Pearson – The Phantom & Art Blakey & The Jazz MessengersRoots & Herbs
Duke Ellington – Money Jungle Is a superb pick as well. Ellington is legendary and to choose this one with Max Roach AND Charles Mingus is genius. Its so stripped back and raw you can hear each element perfectly.

Outstanding lineup. My initial reaction is that I mostly can't wait for these in particular:

Nigeria
The Money Jungle
That's Where It's At
The Kicker
It's Time
Prayer Meetin' (yassss Jimmy Smith tone poet!)
Roots & Herbs

but I'm definitely getting at least 17 of these immediately after release

This Tone Poet serie is definitely the most exciting reissue campaign out there. I hope they'll continue for another third year.

Damn! A lot to be excited about on that list. I have actually yet to pull the trigger on a tone poet but I have a few MMJ. I bought the Henderson "In n Out" BN80 to see what those are all about and I thought my 70s United Artist's copy was still a lot livelier. Will definitely be grabbing both Feb releases and "The Cooker" and "The Kicker"

Damn! A lot to be excited about on that list. I have actually yet to pull the trigger on a tone poet but I have a few MMJ. I bought the Henderson "In n Out" BN80 to see what those are all about and I thought my 70s United Artist's copy was still a lot livelier. Will definitely be grabbing both Feb releases and "The Cooker" and "The Kicker"
I haven't got a MMJ, but out of all the others I have I would say that the Tone Poets are by far offer the best bang for your buck. Really high quality packages.

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2020 Release Schedule:
January 24

February 28
  • Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz, 1954-56)
  • Grant Green – Nigeria (Blue Note, 1962)
March 27
  • Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)
  • Herbie Hancock – The Prisoner (Blue Note, 1969)
April 24
  • Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)
May 22
  • Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
  • Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)
June 26
  • Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)
July 24
  • Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
  • Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)
August 28
  • Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
September 25
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
October 23
  • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
November 20
  • Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
December 11
  • Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)
2019-20 Jazz Reissue spreadsheet updated. In related news, my 2020 vinyl budget is f'ed. 🤷‍♂️💰🤷‍♂️

Do we have confirmation that BN80s are going to continue (other than the releases already announced through April)? I haven't read anything about that series continuing. Will they be labeled BN81s? :D
It doesn't seem like it will. Someone commented on the Tone Poet announcement on FB asking if the BN80 series would continue and Blue Note replied that yes, they will be continuing into April of 2020, which is of course the already announced run.

It doesn't seem like it will. Someone commented on the Tone Poet announcement on FB asking if the BN80 series would continue and Blue Note replied that yes, they will be continuing into April of 2020, which is of course the already announced run.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. We might have to wait another four years for the 85th series in order to get another run like that. In the meantime, that 2020 Tone Poet lineup is 🔥🔥🔥

When you guys were referring to Impulse Rainbow Label for “Art Blakey!! Jazz Messengers!!” are you guys referring to this? If so I may have to pull the trigger on this copy, $45 w shipping in EX condition. Is that overpriced for this pressing?6DA0A754-A9F4-455B-AB44-4D5B9C9B05AE.jpeg

Back