Jazz

This year has seen a couple of great releases, Joshua Abrams Natural Information Society with Mandatory Reality and Kahil El'Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Be Known: Ancient/Future/Music. Add to that the Art Ensemble of Chicago's latest release We Are on the Edge which features a lot of the modern young players from the scene too including Nicole Mitchell. Her album from '17, Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds is excellent. Also check out Quin Kirchner's The Other Side of Time from last year. I think I read it is getting a repress soon which will be very welcome as it's superb. And a notable mention to Dustin Laurenzi's Snaketime: The Music of Moondog. Although it's an album of covers it is done so well and feels totally fresh and modern.
There's quite a lot to explore on International Anthems' site - Jaimie Branch, Ben LaMar Gay, Resavoir, Jeff Parker, Angel Bat Dawid, Nick Mazzarella Trio International Anthem. Would totally endorse @Mr Moore on Quin Kirchner - I'm looking forward to that repress v much as well...
For anyone who ventures outside of vinyl too, I'm listening to this one from Portuguese label Clean Feed but it is very much a Chicago set. I wish they'd add a vinyl release.

Thanks guys, that's awesome, I'm glad I asked, I was expecting to see a few names I recognised but hadn't realised were Chicago but I only recognise Art Ensemble and Angel Bat so there are a fair few to tuck into which is awesome.

The Moondog one peaks my interest because I only recently found out that Moondog's Birds Lament is where Mr Scruff got a sample for Get a Move On.

Looking forward to checking them all out.

Thanks guys, that's awesome, I'm glad I asked, I was expecting to see a few names I recognised but hadn't realised were Chicago but I only recognise Art Ensemble and Angel Bat so there are a fair few to tuck into which is awesome.

The Moondog one peaks my interest because I only recently found out that Moondog's Birds Lament is where Mr Scruff got a sample for Get a Move On.

Looking forward to checking them all out.

Moondog’s original of Bird’s Lament is gorgeous, probably my favourite of his stuff I’ve heard and at nearly double the length, Laurenzi’s take can do know wrong for me either, can’t recommend it highly enough.

Here it is for anyone with 6 minutes to kill:

Moondog’s original of Bird’s Lament is gorgeous, probably my favourite of his stuff I’ve heard and at nearly double the length, Laurenzi’s take can do know wrong for me either, can’t recommend it highly enough.

Here it is for anyone with 6 minutes to kill:

@Mr Moore's taste and mine overlap heavily in Chicago - that Laurenzi album is a cracker. Scared my poorly son only this morning by playing it rather loud...

Sam Records, one of my favorite reissue labels, is repressing their Donald Byrd in Paris records:

Will likely be available elsewhere, but here are links to the releases.
Sam Records, one of my favorite reissue labels, is repressing their Donald Byrd in Paris records:

Will likely be available elsewhere, but here are links to the releases.

Ordered both, just arrived recently, nice copies!
byrd_in_paris.jpg

In volume 2, Byrd is eating french fries (I forget what you call them in France?) but NOT using mayonaise for dipping. No ketchup either. Maybe playing it neutral? As an American, I enjoy it EITHER WAY. I hope we can still be virtual friends.

Liner notes are in French, of course, which is nice since I'm trying to learn some for my travels.

View attachment 19168

In volume 2, Byrd is eating french fries (I forget what you call them in France?) but NOT using mayonaise for dipping. No ketchup either. Maybe playing it neutral? As an American, I enjoy it EITHER WAY. I hope we can still be virtual friends.

Liner notes are in French, of course, which is nice since I'm trying to learn some for my travels.

I picked them up also and really liked them! I think Vol1 is my very slight preference... but it changes depending on which I'm listening to.

View attachment 19168

awesome! I might pick up vol 1 soon since my copy of volume 2 is good.

Jaimie Branch is great and very accessible and the Jeff Parker album slays me, especially that first track!.
There's quite a lot to explore on International Anthems' site - Jaimie Branch, Ben LaMar Gay, Resavoir, Jeff Parker, Angel Bat Dawid, Nick Mazzarella Trio International Anthem. Would totally endorse @Mr Moore on Quin Kirchner - I'm looking forward to that repress v much as well...

Looks like The Comet is Coming’s Afterlife is going to be an RSDBF release. 1500, RSD first release.

I spend a few minutes talking to Modulor owner this morning and he told me to check their web shop as he just added a few records I might be interested in. He was right, there are two additions to the Le Très Jazz Club serie and three to Le Très Groove Club:

Hiromasa Suzuki Trio - Primrose
Makoto Terashita - Great Harvest

Les Masques - Brasilian Sound
Jacky Giordano - Organ
Jacky Giordano - Organ Plus

How is it that all those J-Jazz albums that are being reissued seem to be essential. I'm once again completely blown away by both. Especially Great Harvest is special :love:

Looks like The Comet is Coming’s Afterlife is going to be an RSDBF release. 1500, RSD first release.

Im happy to be getting a new release, but don't like the fact its limited to a day where some people buy to flip. Going to be a tricky one to get.

Some decent jazz for RSD. Bill Evans RSD

Miles in Tokyo:

Early Miles from In A Silent Way Sessions:

Cecil Taylor: Indent (ORG pressing)

Some decent jazz for RSD. Bill Evans RSD

Miles in Tokyo:

Early Miles from In A Silent Way Sessions:

Cecil Taylor: Indent (ORG pressing)
This looks like a good lineup too:

Cross post from the Tunes from Asia thread, for those who enjoyed last Mr Bongo reissues of Japanese Jazz records Bamboo by Minoru Muraoka and Beautiful Bamboo-Flute by Hozan Yamamoto.

Interesting Japanese jazz band :

Back