Jazz

I spend a few minutes talking to Modulor owner this morning and he told me to check their web shop as he just added a few records I might be interested in. He was right, there are two additions to the Le Très Jazz Club serie and three to Le Très Groove Club:

Hiromasa Suzuki Trio - Primrose
Makoto Terashita - Great Harvest

Les Masques - Brasilian Sound
Jacky Giordano - Organ
Jacky Giordano - Organ Plus

I spend a few minutes talking to Modulor owner this morning and he told me to check their web shop as he just added a few records I might be interested in. He was right, there are two additions to the Le Très Jazz Club serie and three to Le Très Groove Club:

Jacky Giordano - Organ
I totally missed this whole series so far - and was happy until now. Thanks for that. ;)
Are all these reissues limited to 500 copies or are they finally pressing more for the news editions?
I can't be spending so much money on all these records - but I want to...
Loving both upcoming Le Très Jazz Club records so far.

I totally missed this whole series so far - and was happy until now. Thanks for that. ;)
Are all these reissues limited to 500 copies or are they finally pressing more for the news editions?
I can't be spending so much money on all these records - but I want to...
Loving both upcoming Le Très Jazz Club records so far.

I am not sure they will repress more records and only the more recent records are still available. All the others are already selling for crazy prices on discos.

Jacky Giordano - Organ
Thanks so much for sharing this @Skalap. I put the order in for the Hiromasa Suzuki Trio and the Makoto Terashita (I love his album with Harold Land). I also ordered George Otsuka Quintet - Step! and the Isao Suzuki Quartet - Orang-Utan. I tried to pick up Oran-Utan loads of times but it was sold out everywhere, I had an order in with Norman Records for 2 months until I gave up and cancelled (they kept saying they were trying to source a copy). Super happy so thanks again!

I'm totally new to him - how have I not been aware of him? o_O
Haven't found a pre-order yet, but will definitely buy this one.
If you see this popping up, let me know. :)

EDIT: Apparently, it's a single and the new album Drones will be coming soon...

EDITEDIT: @Skalap You don’t have a second copy of Velvet Portraits handy? Hoping Ropeadope has a repress coming with the new record around the corner...
He's awesome. I think a lot more people became familiar with him after Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly came out since Terrace was one of the big collaborators on that. I've seen Terrace live a few times and he's awesome. Got to see him with Glasper, Kamasi, Taylor McFerrin and Thundercat and others a few years back and it was amazing.

Thanks so much for sharing this @Skalap. I put the order in for the Hiromasa Suzuki Trio and the Makoto Terashita (I love his album with Harold Land). I also ordered George Otsuka Quintet - Step! and the Isao Suzuki Quartet - Orang-Utan. I tried to pick up Oran-Utan loads of times but it was sold out everywhere, I had an order in with Norman Records for 2 months until I gave up and cancelled (they kept saying they were trying to source a copy). Super happy so thanks again!

I gave a look on Discogs yesterday and was surprise to see how expensive there records already are! Mine and Green Caterpillar are selling for +60€ already! Elvin, the owner, is super friendly and knowedgeable, and everything they release, either it's Le Très Jazz Club,, Le Très Groove Club or Wewantsounds is really good.

Last edited:
But honestly that just proves how crazy some people are that they would pay that sort of money for a repress of an album, I’ve got a few of them and they’re alright but come on, people really need to get a grip.But I guess money makes the world go round 🤒🤪
I gave a look on Discogs yesterday and was surprise to see how expensive there records already are! Mine and Green Caterpillar are selling for +60€ already! Elvin, the owner, is super friendly and knowedgeable, and everything they release, either it's Le Très Jazz Club,, Le Très Groove Club or Wewantsounds is really good.

But honestly that just proves how crazy some people are that they would pay that sort of money for a repress of an album, I’ve got a few of them and they’re alright but come on, people really need to get a grip.But I guess money makes the world go round 🤒🤪

I want to say I agree with you but considering how much I spend on a few Superfly Records, I won't comment :rolleyes::rolleyes:🤣

Haha so it’s your fault !:D

I try to avoid expensive records and have fixed a limit of 50€ per record (shipping not included after hard negociation with myself). Only a few times I pass that limit, most of them on Superfly Records reissues (but, with all due respect to Modulor, these cannot compare).

Then this guy and especially the whole label won’t let you down!
That whole Chicago scene at the moment is kicking, better than London for my tastes. Makaya’s Great, all his albums are worth sampling if he’s new to you.
Yep - caved and bought this one and Universal Beings. Thanks for the enabling nudge! ;)

Who else falls into the Chicago scene?
Makaya is awesome I've enjoyed all his albums and want moar.

This year has seen a couple of great releases, Joshua Abrams Natural Information Society with Mandatory Reality and Kahil El'Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Be Known: Ancient/Future/Music. Add to that the Art Ensemble of Chicago's latest release We Are on the Edge which features a lot of the modern young players from the scene too including Nicole Mitchell. Her album from '17, Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds is excellent. Also check out Quin Kirchner's The Other Side of Time from last year. I think I read it is getting a repress soon which will be very welcome as it's superb. And a notable mention to Dustin Laurenzi's Snaketime: The Music of Moondog. Although it's an album of covers it is done so well and feels totally fresh and modern.

This year has seen a couple of great releases, Joshua Abrams Natural Information Society with Mandatory Reality and Kahil El'Zabar's Ethnic Heritage Ensemble with Be Known: Ancient/Future/Music. Add to that the Art Ensemble of Chicago's latest release We Are on the Edge which features a lot of the modern young players from the scene too including Nicole Mitchell. Her album from '17, Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds is excellent. Also check out Quin Kirchner's The Other Side of Time from last year. I think I read it is getting a repress soon which will be very welcome as it's superb. And a notable mention to Dustin Laurenzi's Snaketime: The Music of Moondog. Although it's an album of covers it is done so well and feels totally fresh and modern.
Why do you do this to my wallet @Mr Moore? :ROFLMAO:

Who else falls into the Chicago scene?
Makaya is awesome I've enjoyed all his albums and want moar.
There's quite a lot to explore on International Anthems' site - Jaimie Branch, Ben LaMar Gay, Resavoir, Jeff Parker, Angel Bat Dawid, Nick Mazzarella Trio International Anthem. Would totally endorse @Mr Moore on Quin Kirchner - I'm looking forward to that repress v much as well...

There's quite a lot to explore on International Anthems' site - Jaimie Branch, Ben LaMar Gay, Resavoir, Jeff Parker, Angel Bat Dawid, Nick Mazzarella Trio International Anthem. Would totally endorse @Mr Moore on Quin Kirchner - I'm looking forward to that repress v much as well...

Yes! Nick Mazzarella's Ultraviolet from a few years back is a must listen. I've been holding out hope that the new one, Counterbalance would make it over here because Bandcamp shipping is ludicrous but no dice so far. And the Angel Bat Dawid is well worth a try. I can imagine she won't be everybody's cup of tea but I really like her album, The Oracle. I'm trying to convince Mrs Moore to come and see her with me in November as part of the London Jazz Festival, Makaya too.

For anyone who ventures outside of vinyl too, I'm listening to this one from Portuguese label Clean Feed but it is very much a Chicago set. I wish they'd add a vinyl release.

Back