Jazz

Can anyone recommend some good Django’s Reinhardt records to pick up?
Not sure if any vinyl release is going to sound good since these are all taken from needle drops of 78’s but I think some CDs have pretty good quality all things considered. I read about this recently on the Steve Hoffman forums but can’t seem to remember what collection is best. His stuff with Stephane Grappelli and the Quintette Du Hot Club De France is amazing and highly influential. Look for collections of that group if you’ve never listened to him before.

I still need this record.
Speakers Corner or Analogue Productions?
Any recommendations or can’t you go wrong with either pressing?
Well I think the Speakers is out of stock and I’ve never heard the AP one. I only have the Superior Viaduct version which is fine but doesn’t make me come back to it more. Just note that the AP is spread over two records. I’ve been looking to get it for a long time so I’m happy. I’ll post once I get it in, hopefully early next week.

I am surprised nobody is speaking about this new Terrace Martin album coming tomorrow (or maybe it's just a song?). His album Velvet Portraits, released in 2016, is still one of my favorite from the new LA jazz scene, very close to The Epic. Highly recommended!

Screenshot_2019-10-03-21-44-43-421_com.instagram.android.png

I am surprised nobody is speaking about this new Terrace Martin album coming tomorrow (or maybe it's just a song?). His album Velvet Portraits, released in 2016, is still one of my favorite from the new LA jazz scene, very close to The Epic. Highly recommended!

View attachment 18841
I'm totally new to him - how have I not been aware of him? o_O
Haven't found a pre-order yet, but will definitely buy this one.
If you see this popping up, let me know. :)

EDIT: Apparently, it's a single and the new album Drones will be coming soon...

EDITEDIT: @Skalap You don’t have a second copy of Velvet Portraits handy? Hoping Ropeadope has a repress coming with the new record around the corner...

Last edited:
I:ve got the Superior Viaduct pressing which sounds good, but it's not an album I listen to much, not one of my favourite by Mingus . Might change one day . The AP over 4 sides is probably not Ideal for this record, sure it sounds great , but it's like that pressing of Ole over 4 sides so the title track is split over 2 sides !!
I still need this record.
Speakers Corner or Analogue Productions?
Any recommendations or can’t you go wrong with either pressing?

Well I think the Speakers is out of stock and I’ve never heard the AP one. I only have the Superior Viaduct version which is fine but doesn’t make me come back to it more. Just note that the AP is spread over two records. I’ve been looking to get it for a long time so I’m happy. I’ll post once I get it in, hopefully early next week.
I have the AP (I subscribed to the series) and the Viaduct. The AP has a notably richer tone than the Viaduct and feels easier with a more natural sound -- and despite the 33 vs 45 I reach for it more. That said, the Viaduct is cost effective and really not bad -- Mingus just happens to be something I usually sit down to listen to....

I have the AP (I subscribed to the series) and the Viaduct. The AP has a notably richer tone than the Viaduct and feels easier with a more natural sound -- and despite the 33 vs 45 I reach for it more. That said, the Viaduct is cost effective and really not bad -- Mingus just happens to be something I usually sit down to listen to....
Having just put on the AP. It's perfect.

Yeah if anyone just needs to have a cheap copy of this, the Superior Viaduct isn’t a bad option. I think I got it off Amazon for $20. I’m really looking forward to the AP though. How did they split the tracks? Mode D is like 18 minutes and Track A-C hover around 5-7 or so if I’m not mistaken.

And yes this is definitely a “sit down and absorb” type of record, not really great for passive listening.

I'm totally new to him - how have I not been aware of him? o_O
Haven't found a pre-order yet, but will definitely buy this one.
If you see this popping up, let me know. :)

EDIT: Apparently, it's a single and the new album Drones will be coming soon...

EDITEDIT: @Skalap You don’t have a second copy of Velvet Portraits handy? Hoping Ropeadope has a repress coming with the new record around the corner...

I'll have to listen to this and I am definitely buying the new album. You must listen to Terrace Martin Presents The Pollyseeds ‎– Sounds Of Crenshaw Vol. 1 but this one is only on CD.

I have vinyl and CD but only one copy of each. I was lucky enough to grab one two years ago on a business trip to Los Angeles. Only recently discovered how expensive it is now :(

Yeah if anyone just needs to have a cheap copy of this, the Superior Viaduct isn’t a bad option. I think I got it off Amazon for $20. I’m really looking forward to the AP though. How did they split the tracks? Mode D is like 18 minutes and Track A-C hover around 5-7 or so if I’m not mistaken.

And yes this is definitely a “sit down and absorb” type of record, not really great for passive listening.
You're correct, here's the breakdown:
A:. T1: Solo Dancer
A: T2: Duet Solo Dancers
B: T3: Group

C: T1: Mode D: trio and group
C: T2: mode e: single solo and group
D: (continue) mode F: group and solo

The carryover bothers me a little less than the Ole (the ORG 45) because the music's more formal structure (?) and for me this is an album of progression, build, and contrast. Both are intellectually "dense" pieces but the Mingus lends itself more to being broken down into segments whereas with Ole I feel the gap. The sound difference though is also more significant with this AP vs. my ORG/mono on the Coltrane. For me the AP is enough of a better sounding record (baseline, sense of depth and space) that it works.

I posted this over in the Pre-Order thread, but has it been discussed here?

Chet Baker - The Legendary Riverside Sessions
chet.jpg

Preorder up for Chet Baker: The Legendary Riverside Albums [5 LP]
Plaid Room has the best price right now at $105

Chet Baker Preorder ;)

it's been released as part of the verve vital vinyl series, I've not heard what that pressing sounds like though

Mi Vital Vinyl reissue of The Blues and the Abstract Truth just arrived and it's super noisy :( has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I ask for a replacement or a refund?

Mi Vital Vinyl reissue of The Blues and the Abstract Truth just arrived and it's super noisy :( has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I ask for a replacement or a refund?
I did get a copy that had a very noisy side A and a B with some strong pops. I failed to return and so now I just glare at it as it mocks my efforts to get a 33 rpm version (I own a 45) that sounds as great as the music does

Back