Jazz

I'm not a fan of most lists of albums for people to get into jazz, because many of these lists only include albums released in the 50s and 60s. They make jazz feel like a dead genre. Buying these records does nothing to support current musicians. Also, listening to these albums provides no insight whatsoever into the musical development in jazz over the last 50 YEARS. Unfortunately, many current jazz artists don't get much support, and can't get their albums released on vinyl. Consequently, many great albums can only be heard digitally. Anyhoo, in the spirit of promoting "present-day" jazz, here are 12 albums that are easily as good as any albums on that guy's list, but were released in the last decade.
View attachment 112303

That Ribot album has a vinyl release. It’s a great album. Just avant guarde enough to be interesting.

There's a jazz club in the town I just moved to and they get some pretty legit acts coming by to perform. I haven't been yet, but just got tix to see Kenny Barron on friday night!
Awesome sauce! BTW, how was he? I've seen him a few times, but the last time I saw him (a few years ago with Dave Holland) he was sounding a bit mellow; even a bit sleepy.

There's a UK based eBay seller thats similar to Carolina Soul in the US, in the sense that they always seem to get the very top prices for their records.

This one is going to be a record-breaker I think. almost 6 days left and its already at £1,353.

View attachment 112751
Not Indeed but some fun Japaneese audiophile (horns) spins of Blue Note Morgan (Lee Morgan, and Candy) here to enjoy

I'm not a fan of most lists of albums for people to get into jazz, because many of these lists only include albums released in the 50s and 60s. They make jazz feel like a dead genre. Buying these records does nothing to support current musicians. Also, listening to these albums provides no insight whatsoever into the musical development in jazz over the last 50 YEARS. Unfortunately, many current jazz artists don't get much support, and can't get their albums released on vinyl. Consequently, many great albums can only be heard digitally. Anyhoo, in the spirit of promoting "present-day" jazz, here are 12 albums that are easily as good as any albums on that guy's list, but were released in the last decade.
View attachment 112303

I think you're the one that introduced me to that Wayne Shorter Quartet and the Live At Smalls. The Steve Davis even sent me into the rabbit hole of Live At Smalls albums. Any of those on vinyl? Anyway, it's all excellent stuff.

Back