Jazz

Talking of contemporary artists, jump on those Muriel Grossmann albums kids!
I think you're the one that introduced me to that Wayne Shorter Quartet and the Live At Smalls. The Steve Davis even sent me into the rabbit hole of Live At Smalls albums. Any of those on vinyl? Anyway, it's all excellent stuff.

I think you're the one that introduced me to that Wayne Shorter Quartet and the Live At Smalls. The Steve Davis even sent me into the rabbit hole of Live At Smalls albums. Any of those on vinyl? Anyway, it's all excellent stuff.
Great question; ARE any of those "Live at Smalls" on vinyl? After having a quick look at the Smalls label website (Jazz Art & Education - SmallsLIVE Foundation) I'd say that their entire catalog (which is huge) is only on CD or digital download.

Great question; ARE any of those "Live at Smalls" on vinyl? After having a quick look at the Smalls label website (Jazz Art & Education - SmallsLIVE Foundation) I'd say that their entire catalog (which is huge) is only on CD or digital download.

Looking at my files, I ended up getting digital versions of Ari Hoenig Punkbop, Planet Jazz, Rodney Green Quartet and Will Vinson after listening to the Steve Davis. Those shows have that energy I like with my jazz, if you know what I mean. I stopped there, but there were so many to dig into. All really well recorded too. You've been at Small's right?

Yes, it's a really great club; pretty small though ;)
I like Smalls and the Village Vanguard is still a great place to see shows. I don't even mind the Blue Note although they have the worst seating set up--so many awful seats in that place. They just get so many great acts. I used to go to Zinc Bar too quite a lot.

Yes, it's a really great club; pretty small though ;)

In honor of you joining this place, I'm spinning that Preservation Hall Jazz Band you gave me last week right now. I have to say, it sounds fantastic! (@MikeH : it has this little KPG@CA in the deadwax ;) ). I don't have much New Orleans jazz so this fills a nice niche in my collection. In the spirit of this conversation, this counts as a new jazz record too.

Looking at my files, I ended up getting digital versions of Ari Hoenig Punkbop, Planet Jazz, Rodney Green Quartet and Will Vinson after listening to the Steve Davis. Those shows have that energy I like with my jazz, if you know what I mean. I stopped there, but there were so many to dig into. All really well recorded too. You've been at Small's right?
Speaking of small Jazz labels, I came across this one (that's headquartered out of Vancouver) in a news article a few months back: All. I ended up getting a few discs.

Speaking of small Jazz labels, I came across this one (that's headquartered out of Vancouver) in a news article a few months back: All. I ended up getting a few discs.
I can vouch for the quality of the Cellar/Reel To Reel vinyl releases, they are superb. I believe Reel To Real have 7 releases on vinyl so far (all historic) and since their recent Roy Brooks RSD release I have noticed that the others seem to be popping up in collections so im thinking more people are finding out about them. Its worth getting them sooner rather than later as they are all limited.

I believe I am correct in saying that the Cellar Live and Reel To Real were founded by Cory Weeds, the saxophonist. He's definitely a big part of it, hes messaged a few times on instagram which is really nice of him. Zev Feldman has worked on quite a few of them as well (with Cory) and they are very similar to the Resonance Releases, with their gatefold jackets and decent booklets of interviews, articles and photos.

Here are the historic vinyl releases that they have so far (in order of release):

Cannonball Adderley – Swingin' In Seattle: Live At The Penthouse (1966-1967)
Etta Jones – A Soulful Sunday: Live At The Left Bank Featuring The Cedar Walton Trio
Johnny Griffin, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis – Ow! Live At The Penthouse
Neil Swainson Quintet – 49th Parallel
George Coleman – The George Coleman Quintet In Baltimore
Harold Land – Westward Bound!
Roy Brooks – Understanding

I can vouch for the quality of the Cellar/Reel To Reel vinyl releases, they are superb. I believe Reel To Real have 7 releases on vinyl so far (all historic) and since their recent Roy Brooks RSD release I have noticed that the others seem to be popping up in collections so im thinking more people are finding out about them. Its worth getting them sooner rather than later as they are all limited.

I believe I am correct in saying that the Cellar Live and Reel To Real were founded by Cory Weeds, the saxophonist. He's definitely a big part of it, hes messaged a few times on instagram which is really nice of him. Zev Feldman has worked on quite a few of them as well (with Cory) and they are very similar to the Resonance Releases, with their gatefold jackets and decent booklets of interviews, articles and photos.

Here are the historic vinyl releases that they have so far (in order of release):

Etta Jones – A Soulful Sunday: Live At The Left Bank Featuring The Cedar Walton Trio
That Roy Brooks is awesome! Don't have any of the others from that group (yet).

Oh man, I'm soooo close to getting that Neil Swainson disc. He's such a great Canadian bassist! That being said, I've never bought anything they've put out on vinyl; only a bunch of their CDs.

Last edited:
That Roy Brooks is awesome! Don't have any of the others from that group (yet).

Oh man, I'm soooo close to getting that Neil Swainson disc. He's such a great Canadian bassist! That being said, I've never bought anything they've put out on vinyl; only a bunch their CDs.
The Neil Swainson is one that I think is pretty slept on. It's an incredible session that was released as part of RSD last year but I never saw anyone else get a copy of it. I was unfamiliar with Swainson but was pulled in by the fact that it has Joe Henderson AND Woody Shaw as side-men. Plus it was recorded in the late 80's which typically isn't seen as a particularly great time for jazz, but this album cooks!

@Potato-Socks Have you gone down the London jazz rabbit hole at all? People on here can probably guide you better than I, but I'm referring to Shabaka Hutchings, Sons Of Kemet, Nubya Garcia and the like.

Playing this one right now... tuba on fire, this. Plus I believe the LP is all-analogue (as with most of the stuff on Gearbox IIRC). Nevermind the obi, when I ordered from Gearbox UK, the japanese versions were the same price, so I couldn't resist.

IMG_1805.JPG

I have at least 4 of these (Adderley, Swainson, Land, and Brooks) and can add my voice to the accolades. Not only audiophile quality but also very nicely packaged.

@Potato-Socks Have you gone down the London jazz rabbit hole at all? People on here can probably guide you better than I, but I'm referring to Shabaka Hutchings, Sons Of Kemet, Nubya Garcia and the like.

Playing this one right now... tuba on fire, this. Plus I believe the LP is all-analogue (as with most of the stuff on Gearbox IIRC). Nevermind the obi, when I ordered from Gearbox UK, the japanese versions were the same price, so I couldn't resist.

View attachment 112784
Well this is the perfect segue into something I have been meaning to post here.

A couple of weekends ago I went to the Cross The Tracks festival in Brixton (the first gig I have been to since early last year). It was a fantastic day of live music, plenty of food and drink, and incredible weather. Its the second festival they have had and the first was equally fantastic. The second was understandably pushed back because of the pandemic but was well worth the wait.

I tried to see as much as I could and ended up seeing Nubya Garcia, Jordan Rakei, Yussef Dayes (with a surprise appearance from Shabaka Hutchings), Sister Sledge and Lianne La Havas (with a surprise appearance from Nubya Garcia). Really fantastic day, here are a couple of photos (not great but I was too caught up in the moment!).

IMG_7036.JPGIMG_7078.JPG

Well, thanks to the horrible influencers on N&G, I finally took a (major) plunge in Japan from Ella Records on Discogs. It started with a desire to find reasonably priced but good quality presses of a couple Dolphy titles, but then the benefit of lower marginal shipping ($5/disc after first) led to a few more items.

All media is NM/M- except EX+ for Dolphy’s “Last Date.” In a few instances, I saved $ with less good sleeve quality or no obi or in the case of Herbie/Dedication, no obi and no poster. I don’t care about obi’s but would have liked the Herbie poster.

Regardless, I’m psyched, and I appreciate the suggestion of Ella Records by a bunch of N&G folks. Here’s what I got:

Eric Dolphy “Last Date” (1984; Nippon; mono)
Anthony Williams ”Spring” (1985; Toshiba)
Herbie Hancock “Dedication” (1974; CBS/Sony)
Eric Dolphy “Outward Bound” (1976; Victor)
David Bowie “Ziggy Stardust” (1982; RVC)
I placed this order from Ella Records on Thurs. afternoon (Friday in Japan), and it arrived Monday. Ella Records shipped it a couple hours after I placed the order.

Every record was in a poly sleeve behind the outer sleeve, and every outer was in a plastic sleeve. Based solely on visual inspection, each LP looks brand new, including the lone EX+. The lowest sleeve condition was VG for Bowie, and it’s nothing like what I’d normally expect for a VG. I know they ding it for lack of OBI, so there’s that, but still . . . the VG sleeve condition Is way better than what I expected.

I’ll play them in the next few days and hope they play as good as they look. Regardless, while I expected exactly what I got based on other experiences with Japanese sellers posted here, I’m still blown away.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone here has watched the series Bosch, but just wrapped it up and have loved seeing the turntable/vinyl being a gentle touch any time they're at his house. Did a nice job interspersing it into the background, playing some jazz greats and having little one off conversations about them. He's got a great setup in an amazing house in the Los Angeles hills. If you're into cop/drama shows, it's one of the better ones.
Dammit, @Matt M - I blame you for my current addiction to Bosch. That set-up in his Hollywood Hills place - the equipment, the view, the Scotch - is un-be-liev-able. (A mint condition McIntosh MC-240 amp like that can go for $7k+!)

Anyhoo - I'm pushing through Season 4. I go to bed agitated and feel like I'm being chased all night.

BTW - I think The Wire is the best television show ever made. So, when I saw Jamie Hector (Marlo!) and Lance Reddick (Daniels!) show up right away on Bosch I was hopelessly hooked.

"It's all in the game, yo!" - RIP Michael K. Williams

Last edited:
Dammit, @Matt M - I blame you for my current addiction to Bosch. That set-up in his Hollywood Hills place - the equipment, the view, the Scotch - is un-be-liev-able. (A mint condition McIntosh MC-240 amp like that can go for $7k+!)

Anyhoo - I'm pushing through Season 4. I go to bed agitated and feel like I'm being chased all night.

BTW - I think The Wire is the best television show ever made. So, when I saw Jamie Hector (Marlo!) and Lance Reddick (Daniels!) come on the screen ... I was hopelessly hooked. "It's all in the game, yo!" - RIP Michael K. Williams
Yeah, between the house/view and the setup it's kind of a dream. Glad you're enjoying it, and the later seasons get a little more Jazz talk too.

I need to watch the wire at some point. I feel like it might be like Breaking Bad to me, where I feel like I have to take a shower after I watch it!

We just got caught up on Ted Lasso and I've enjoyed that, the music is great but not too much jazz. My lady has me watching The Morning Show season one so she can watch season two. Kinda feels like a poor mans Newsroom so far, but I'm starting to warm up to it. I'll throw The Wire on after that.

Back