Jazz

Went to check the prices and stuff for RSD... looks like the thelonious monk is missing?
Not missing. Uk only. Looks like a repress on pretty red vinyl of the Back to Black European pressing. You can find that pressing pretty easily or save yourself the trouble and get a Monk record like Underground, CrissCross, Love In Tokyo or any of the great Columbia records. IMO Monk's Music has been done to death and isn't one of Monk's greatest.

Not missing. Uk only. Looks like a repress on pretty red vinyl of the Back to Black European pressing. You can find that pressing pretty easily or save yourself the trouble and get a Monk record like Underground, CrissCross, Love In Tokyo or any of the great Columbia records. IMO Monk's Music has been done to death and isn't one of Monk's greatest.
Thanks!!

Also add in the Monk Riverside albums which are exceptional.

Saw The Cookers at Dazzle Jazz last night. George Cables, Billy Hart, Donald Harrison, Eddie Henderson, David Weiss, Billy Hart and Cecil McBee. Great show and these guys really did cook as you might expect. After the set CDs of their soon to be released album Look Out were being sold AND there was one vinyl version on the table. I grabbed it. It’s a three-sided record and trumpeter David Weiss explained to me that the label, Gearbox Records, would only put 22 minutes of material per side and the band had about 60 minutes of material they wanted to release. What to do with a blank fourth side? Each band member etched his signature into the lacquer and some added little drawings of their instruments. Cool! Listening to it now and it’s well recorded and mastered and the playing is superb. Looking at the Gearbox website, the CD is to be released this coming weekend and the vinyl version not until October 1. Neat looking turntable on the site too. 👍

Saw The Cookers at Dazzle Jazz last night. George Cables, Billy Hart, Donald Harrison, Eddie Henderson, David Weiss, Billy Hart and Cecil McBee. Great show and these guys really did cook as you might expect. After the set CDs of their soon to be released album Look Out were being sold AND there was one vinyl version on the table. I grabbed it. It’s a three-sided record and trumpeter David Weiss explained to me that the label, Gearbox Records, would only put 22 minutes of material per side and the band had about 60 minutes of material they wanted to release. What to do with a blank fourth side? Each band member etched his signature into the lacquer and some added little drawings of their instruments. Cool! Listening to it now and it’s well recorded and mastered and the playing is superb. Looking at the Gearbox website, the CD is to be released this coming weekend and the vinyl version not until October 1. Neat looking turntable on the site too. 👍
The vinyl version available on Bandcamp shipped two weeks ago, so it is available now.

Reactions: OMC
Seems like a new Muriel Grossmann album could be announced as soon as tomorrow, to be called Union on RR Gems. Looks like it will be a studio recording of her live set (so I assume it will be basically already released songs) from what I can gleam from the net. Exciting...
Fantastic news! Really looking forward to hearing more music from her, looks to be the same line-up as on 'Reverence' minus Gina Schwarz on bass.

That’s the way to do an etching haha

There's a UK based eBay seller thats similar to Carolina Soul in the US, in the sense that they always seem to get the very top prices for their records.

This one is going to be a record-breaker I think. almost 6 days left and its already at £1,353.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 13.18.36.png

There's a UK based eBay seller thats similar to Carolina Soul in the US, in the sense that they always seem to get the very top prices for their records.

This one is going to be a record-breaker I think. almost 6 days left and its already at £1,353.

View attachment 112751
I think there are two types of ebay bidders...those who wait until the last minute to pounce (that's me) and those who bid things up so high in the beginning that they scare off potential bidders (probably what is going on here). That's pretty crazy though. The sleeve does look like its in impeccable shape.

View attachment 112751
Don't you dare outbid me! 😉😂

Back