Jazz

@Potato-Socks Have you gone down the London jazz rabbit hole at all? People on here can probably guide you better than I, but I'm referring to Shabaka Hutchings, Sons Of Kemet, Nubya Garcia and the like.

Playing this one right now... tuba on fire, this. Plus I believe the LP is all-analogue (as with most of the stuff on Gearbox IIRC). Nevermind the obi, when I ordered from Gearbox UK, the japanese versions were the same price, so I couldn't resist.

View attachment 112784
VERY intriguing challenge: the London-jazz rabbit hole. I have NOT taken this journey. But, now I will. What are your top 3 picks to try out?

VERY intriguing challenge: the London-jazz rabbit hole. I have NOT taken this journey. But, now I will. What are your top 3 picks to try out?
I personally would say:
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile
Nubya Garcia - Source
Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus

But so many to choose. That Theon Cross is as the title suggests Fyah, Ill Considered have so many good albums, Cykada, Joe Armon-Jones/Ezra Collective etc etc

Oh man, you are in for quite the ride. Hard to choose a top 3 but I think the people that are most likely to be considered the flag bearers are:

- Nubya Garcia ('Nubya's 5ive' and 'Source').
- Shabaka Hutchings (check out his work as part of Sons Of Kemet, The Comet Is Coming, or Shabaka And The Ancestors - 3 very different groups).
- Moses Boyd (check out his releases as part of the award winning Binker And Moses, Moses Boyd Exodus, and his self-titled group).
- Joe Armon Jones (a keyboardist who seems to appear on everything but also has released his own albums as lead.
- Cassie Kinoshi (A fantastic musician and composer that appears in lots of groups including SEED Ensemble, Kokoroko, and Nerija)

Then there are the more 'underground' or less known musicians in groups that include Wildflower, Ill Considered, Ruby Rushton, etc

I would say that part of the success is down to the mix of influences that are being incorporated into jazz. I would actually say there is less straight-ahead playing than there is mixes of Afrobeat, funk, electronic fusion, experimental, avant-garde, etc.

Of course, there are dozens of names left off the list that are worthy of seeking out and you will soon fall down the rabbit hole after searching for specific players that might impress you from the albums already mentioned.

Oh man, you are in for quite the ride. Hard to choose a top 3 but I think the people that are most likely to be considered the flag bearers are:

- Nubya Garcia ('Nubya's 5ive' and 'Source').
- Shabaka Hutchings (check out his work as part of Sons Of Kemet, The Comet Is Coming, or Shabaka And The Ancestors - 3 very different groups).
- Moses Boyd (check out his releases as part of the award winning Binker And Moses, Moses Boyd Exodus, and his self-titled group).
- Joe Armon Jones (a keyboardist who seems to appear on everything but also has released his own albums as lead.
- Cassie Kinoshi (A fantastic musician and composer that appears in lots of groups including SEED Ensemble, Kokoroko, and Nerija)

Then there are the more 'underground' or less known musicians in groups that include Wildflower, Ill Considered, Ruby Rushton, etc

I would say that part of the success is down to the mix of influences that are being incorporated into jazz. I would actually say there is less straight-ahead playing than there is mixes of Afrobeat, funk, electronic fusion, experimental, avant-garde, etc.

Of course, there are dozens of names left off the list that are worthy of seeking out and you will soon fall down the rabbit hole after searching for specific players that might impress you from the albums already mentioned.
Thank you! I will fo sho explore those suggestions. However, I am wary of certain terms you used, such as: Afrobeat, funk, and electronic fusion. These are not things I usually enjoy in my jazz... LOL! That being said, I'm fine with the way-out avant-guarde stuff.

Last edited:
Thank you! I will fo sho explore those suggestions. However, I am wary of certain terms you used, such as: Afrobeat, funk, and electronic fusion. These are not things I usually enjoy in my jazz... LOL! That being said, I'm fine the way-out avant-guarde stuff.
Ok in that case then I would suggest the following for the more straight-ahead jazz:

Ashley Henry - Ashley Henry's 5ive (pianist-led)
Rosie Turton - Turton's 5ive (trombone-led)
Nubya Garcia - Garcia's 5ive (tenor saxophone-led). I would say this is more 'pure' jazz compared with her debut full length album, source.
Ruby Rushton - Trudi's Songbook Vol 1 & 2 (I guess technically tenor sax and flute led by Edward 'Tenderlonious' Cawthorne, but they all contribute)
Binker Golding - Abstractions Of Reality Past And Incredible Feathers (tenor sax led. Less favourable reviews compared with others from Golding but I enjoy it).
1000 Kings - Raw Source (The groups only release. The line-up was shrouded in mystery for a while but we later found out its Shabaka Hutchings on tenor sax)
SEED Ensemble (might not fit perfectly into the 'straight-ahead' group but a good example of contemporary group that borders on the big band.
Theon Cross - Fyah (unusual in the sense that its tuba led).

For more experimental/free-improv jazz then I would suggest:
Ill Considered - Live At The TRC (any IC release is worth checking out. Their latest 'The Stroke' was completely improvised whilst watching an animation created by their unofficial 5th member, Vincent De Boer)
Binker Golding, John Edwards, Steve Noble - Moon Day (heavier stuff than most on here)
Binker & Moses - Escape The Flames (free-improv but quite rooted)

Ok in that case then I would suggest the following for the more straight-ahead jazz:

Nubya Garcia - Garcia's 5ive (tenor saxophone-led). I would say this is more 'pure' jazz compared with her debut full length album, source.
Ruby Rushton - Trudi's Songbook Vol 1 & 2 (I guess technically tenor sax and flute led by Edward 'Tenderlonious' Cawthorne, but they all contribute)
Binker Golding - Abstractions Of Reality Past And Incredible Feathers (tenor sax led. Less favourable reviews compared with others from Golding but I enjoy it).
1000 Kings - Raw Source (The groups only release. The line-up was shrouded in mystery for a while but we later found out its Shabaka Hutchings on tenor sax)
SEED Ensemble (might not fit perfectly into the 'straight-ahead' group but a good example of contemporary group that borders on the big band.

Ill Considered - Live At The TRC (any IC release is worth checking out. Their latest 'The Stroke' was completely improvised whilst watching an animation created by their unofficial 5th member, Vincent De Boer)
Binker Golding, John Edwards, Steve Noble - Moon Day (heavier stuff than most on here)
Ha ha ha ha! That list of suggestions is the BEST! How am I going to get any work done today?!? THANKS!

Yeah, between the house/view and the setup it's kind of a dream. Glad you're enjoying it, and the later seasons get a little more Jazz talk too.

I need to watch the wire at some point. I feel like it might be like Breaking Bad to me, where I feel like I have to take a shower after I watch it!

We just got caught up on Ted Lasso and I've enjoyed that, the music is great but not too much jazz. My lady has me watching The Morning Show season one so she can watch season two. Kinda feels like a poor mans Newsroom so far, but I'm starting to warm up to it. I'll throw The Wire on after that.
Mc nerd alert: The set decorator/builder for the show is a member of the Klipsch forum! That is his Mc system, the speakers and table are surplus. In the book series Bosch listens to cd's oddly enough. Hollyweird.

My Dad had MC-30 Monoblocks, one he built from a kit!, and a MX-110 without case, the model that seen on the Bosch set. He bought it from a doctor.

uitbcojk84v21.jpg

Last edited:

Strong list! I thought Binker's "Abstractions..." was phenomenal. Very surprised it was not more celebrated. Binker and Moses "Journey to the Mountain of Forever" is also a favorite from the UK scene.

I think the First Wildflower and the Ill Considered 1 and 3 are my top albums of the current UK scene.

Mc nerd alert: The set decorator/builder for the show is a member of the Klipsch forum! That is his Mc system, the speakers and table are surplus. Is the book series he listen's to cd's oddly enough. Hollyweird.

My Dad had MC-30 Monoblocks, one he built from a kit!, and a MX-110 without case, the model that seen on the Bosch set. He bought it from a doctor.

uitbcojk84v21.jpg
The first three books in Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series were published between 1992-94, so CD's aren't all that surprising.

Strong list! I thought Binker's "Abstractions..." was phenomenal. Very surprised it was not more celebrated. Binker and Moses "Journey to the Mountain of Forever" is also a favorite from the UK scene.

I think the First Wildflower and the Ill Considered 1 and 3 are my top albums of the current UK scene.
I completely agree with you. I really enjoy Abstractions and also think the first Wildflower and Ill Considered releases would rank high on my list.

I am actually seeing Ill Considered again soon. I mentioned it here the other day but essentially they have a 2-night residency here in London whereby the audience will somehow influence the groups playing in real-time, with Vincent De Boer being present to create some artwork based on the music and with Lisa Wormsley videoing it. At the end of the night the performance, artwork, and music video will create a single 'album' that will only be experienced by the people present.

Sounds like a really intriguing concept and they have improvising down to a fine art at this point so I'm sure it will be great. I have yet to meet Vincent De Boer but we have chatted several times on instagram so it will be nice to finally meet him.

Ha ha ha ha! That list of suggestions is the BEST! How am I going to get any work done today?!? THANKS!

@Potato-Socks I actually have a copy of that Binker Golding LP if you like what you hear and want to listen to it properly. I can bring it next time we meet-up. That's another one from Gearbox and the pressing is phenomenal. Not for keeps though, I like this one, LOL (I do have a stack ready for you to pick from & keep though).

There's a UK based eBay seller thats similar to Carolina Soul in the US, in the sense that they always seem to get the very top prices for their records.

This one is going to be a record-breaker I think. almost 6 days left and its already at £1,353.

View attachment 112751
I've bought from him twice and maybe i've just been unlucky but i find his stuff overrated on top of being expensive. The condition of the records don't match the listing and he can be a bit vague with which pressing it is. It can be listed as "Rare original first pressing" when in fact it's a repress or a second pressing. And using daylight to take pictures really make the records and sometimes the sleeve look better than they really are.

I wish I had a local that carried this kinda stuff...I don't even have a new local yet! The few I have gone to near my new place have all been pretty awful. Like $30 for a scuffed up Van Morrison repress awful....
😭😭😭, I feel for you. I would love to move to Germany one day but would dread the process of getting my hands on what we have such widespread access to here in the states. So maybe I’ll stay in the name of vinyl.

This local is actually LA’s best kept secret. It’s a hi-if gear shop first but he also has a record store inside that no one knows about and he keeps it stocked to the brim with AP, MoFi, Speakers Corner, Blue Note, AS, and every other reputable AAA reissue label plus a great selection of contemporary albums.

😭😭😭, I feel for you. I would love to move to Germany one day but would dread the process of getting my hands on what we have such widespread access to here in the states. So maybe I’ll stay in the name of vinyl.

This local is actually LA’s best kept secret. It’s a hi-if gear shop first but he also has a record store inside that no one knows about and he keeps it stocked to the brim with AP, MoFi, Speakers Corner, Blue Note, AS, and every other reputable AAA reissue label plus a great selection of contemporary albums.
i'll have to go there next time I'm in LA. I was spoiled at my last place--lived within walking distance of Academy Records. They had a fantastic used selection and I could just drop in any time they posted about refilling the used bins online. Often would just go walk there during a coffee break from work or something. Now it's a bit of an oasis in the burbs. I think I found one good spot but it's a bit of a drive. Gonna try to check it out this weekend. I end up just ordering all the new audiophile label stuff online.

i'll have to go there next time I'm in LA. I was spoiled at my last place--lived within walking distance of Academy Records. They had a fantastic used selection and I could just drop in any time they posted about refilling the used bins online. Often would just go walk there during a coffee break from work or something. Now it's a bit of an oasis in the burbs. I think I found one good spot but it's a bit of a drive. Gonna try to check it out this weekend. I end up just ordering all the new audiophile label stuff online.
Blessed to be near some great shops in Chicago, but very glad I am not around the corner from Academy or Human Head. I do enough damage visiting those spots once every other year or so!

Back