Jazz

Listening to this lovely ambient jazz release by London based Nala Sinephro right now.
Think Nubya Garcia plays on this one too. Kinda reminds of the Floating Points album from earlier this year

I'm enjoying this immensely, thank you for the heads up!

I dug reading more about the album too:

Anyone any experience of these Timeless reissues? this seems to be a repress from 2013 which has a very good review on cogs.

Updated Acoustic Sounds Jazz Series Schedule. Looks like Chad hits everyone with upcoming price increases and now some of these rescheduled dates this week.

Charles Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Oct29
Charles Mingus Black Saint And The Sinner Lady Oct29

John Coltrane Crescent Nov19th
John Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard Nov19th

John Coltrane Johnny Hartman Dec10th
John Coltrane Duke Ellington Dec10th

Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins Jan28th
Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon Jan28th

Oscar Peterson We Take Requests Feb 25th
Oscar Peterson Night Train Feb25th

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong Ella & Louis March 25th
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong Ella & Louis Again March 25th

Bill Evans Trio 65' April 29

*updated 9-10-21

Last edited:
Updated Acoustic Sound Jazz Series Schedule. Looks like Chad hits everyone with upcoming price increases and now some of these rescheduled dates this week.

Charles Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Oct29
Charles Mingus Black Saint And The Sinner Lady Oct29

John Coltrane Crescent Nov19th
John Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard Nov19th

John Coltrane Johnny Hartman Dec10th
John Coltrane Duke Ellington Dec10th

Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins Jan28th
Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon Jan28th

Oscar Peterson We Take Requests Feb 25th
Oscar Peterson Night Train Feb25th

I hadn’t seen this whole list yet. Honestly kind of underwhelming considering the availability of most of these with good pressings.

I hadn’t seen this whole list yet. Honestly kind of underwhelming considering the availability of most of these with good pressings.
There are 9 there I'm in on. So not for me ;)

Here is the original Fremer article on the Series (disregard the listed dates and see my list above for updated dates)

Yeah. I'm only after one of those AP Coltranes. Also curious if Plaidroom will still sell these for $27.99 after the price hike, or of they'll be $32.99 now.
There could be a chance that Doug can get them for the Paladin N&G RC as well. I cross posted the list there.

Are there good pressings of those Impulse titles available? I'm after quite a few of those but am not really aware of any good pressings, just the (I assumed now pricey) AP versions.

Lots of Japanese options , I've got quite a few Coltrane and Mingus, Mingus, Mingus Ys and YP cat # from 76/77 and also VIM from 1980
Are there good pressings of those Impulse titles available? I'm after quite a few of those but am not really aware of any good pressings, just the (I assumed now pricey) AP versions.

Yeah I'm mainly referring to the AP pressings of a lot of those titles. I supposed many may have shot up in price so it is great that they will get in the hands of many more for an affordable price, but I will be sitting out most. I guess I can't complain too much as it will save me a significant amount of money lol

Honestly ‘I’m sure these will be good, but most of these titles would be available for less than what they are charging, but maybe not now, but things will change.
Yeah I'm mainly referring to the AP pressings of a lot of those titles. I supposed many may have shot up in price so it is great that they will get in the hands of many more for an affordable price, but I will be sitting out most. I guess I can't complain too much as it will save me a significant amount of money lol

Afternoon everyone. Just stumbled across this and it looks really interesting.

Appleton Estate rum has selected 4 contemporary jazz musicians to curate a record which is shipped with a small bottle of rum, pre-made mixer, and a copper or ceramic cup. The first release has a copy of Jazzwise included as well. The idea is that the musician chooses a track from their discography and pairs it with a Jamaican track that inspired them. So far they have them from:

Moses Boyd (Axiom) (Black Uhuru -Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
CKTRL (Love Bomb) (I-Roy - Leggo Beast)
Theon Cross (40TUDE) (Dennis Brown - Money in my pocket)
Demae (Basic Love) (tbc)

I think if each release included more music I would probably be a lot more interested. I LOVE the concept of pairing a musicians music with their influences and Jamaica's influence on jazz has long been in the shadows, especially here in the UK (Dizzy Reece, Joe Harriott, etc), so its great to see the current scene paying their respects in this way.

Coltrane One Step seems to be back in stock!

Coltrane One Step seems to be back in stock!
Oh god, I’m going to just pretend I didn’t see this

Afternoon everyone. Just stumbled across this and it looks really interesting.

Appleton Estate rum has selected 4 contemporary jazz musicians to curate a record which is shipped with a small bottle of rum, pre-made mixer, and a copper or ceramic cup. The first release has a copy of Jazzwise included as well. The idea is that the musician chooses a track from their discography and pairs it with a Jamaican track that inspired them. So far they have them from:

Moses Boyd (Axiom) (Black Uhuru -Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
CKTRL (Love Bomb) (I-Roy - Leggo Beast)
Theon Cross (40TUDE) (Dennis Brown - Money in my pocket)
Demae (Basic Love) (tbc)

I think if each release included more music I would probably be a lot more interested. I LOVE the concept of pairing a musicians music with their influences and Jamaica's influence on jazz has long been in the shadows, especially here in the UK (Dizzy Reece, Joe Harriott, etc), so its great to see the current scene paying their respects in this way.

Nice! I’m definitely interested in that. There’s a direct lineage from jazz to ska and beyond in reggae. Listen to some of The Skatalites stuff and tell me it’s not influenced by jazz. Don Drummond and Tommy McCook were straight up jazz players before moving to ska.

Back