Jazz

I have the Harry Beckett - Still Happy from them and it's really great. I think he's probably my favourite UK jazz musician from that era.

I was just looking for that and it looks to be long gone everywhere.

Great to hear that the label is good.

I'm really excited for Chelsea Carmichael's album, The River Doesn't Like Strangers, to release in October.
It'll be the debut release on Shabaka Hutchings' Native Rebel Recordings and the second single just dropped.

More info:

Really digging the two tracks that are out so far. Should be a tasty release.

Zavvi jazz mystery bundle is back for anyone who hasn’t ordered one by now
Im not sure if this is the same though is it? The one I ordered (albeit here in the UK) was £29.99 for 10 records, this one looks to be the same price but for 5?

Why do I not like Mingus

I’ve heard Ah Um and Mingus x5 and have glazed over every time I’ve heard them
The thing with Mingus is that he shifted his style so many times during his career that it might just be that you haven't found the Mingus you like yet.

His early work as part of Red Norvo's Trio (alongside Tal Farlow) is much different to his later work with Eric Dolphy for example.

Personally, my favourites are Mingus Ah Um, Blues & Roots, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus. But honestly it just depends on how I am feeling any given day.

As a side note, I thoroughly recommend the The Complete Candid Recordings Of Charles Mingus and Jazz In Detroit / Strata Concert Gallery / 46 Selden box sets for anyone wanting to binge. Both are very good and I believe the BBE release can be picked up for close to the average cost of a new release as well!!!

Really digging the two tracks that are out so far. Should be a tasty release.

I'm really excited for Chelsea Carmichael's album, The River Doesn't Like Strangers, to release in October.
It'll be the debut release on Shabaka Hutchings' Native Rebel Recordings and the second single just dropped.

More info:

Scratchy, punk jazz ? Interesting

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is the same though is it? The one I ordered (albeit here in the UK) was £29.99 for 10 records, this one looks to be the same price but for 5?
It is the same. They haven’t offered the 10LP in a very long time but have been doing the 5LP bundles on and off for the last year or so. The 10LP was the best value for sure then they dropped the price but kept it at 5. Still worth the price IMO!

Great news! I tracked down a copy of Grant Green's Nigeria Tone poet (from Barnes and Noble online) .

The bad news:
View attachment 110078

Oddly enough, Nigeria was the only Tone Poet I ever needed a replacement for because it was pretty warped. Hopefully Barnes and Noble will be accommodating and helpful in getting you a playable album.

Oddly enough, Nigeria was the only Tone Poet I ever needed a replacement for because it was pretty warped. Hopefully Barnes and Noble will be accommodating and helpful in getting you a playable album.
Yeah. I'll contact them but don't have high hopes for replacement. It seems to be sold out everywhere online at this point (and going for crazy prices on Dicogs). Assume it'll be refund at best. Hoping this gets a repress down the line.

Yeah. I'll contact them but don't have high hopes for replacement. It seems to be sold out everywhere online at this point (and going for crazy prices on Dicogs). Assume it'll be refund at best. Hoping this gets a repress down the line.
BN represses have been quietly coming out recently so hopefully Joe and Don know about a repress for this one, Chet Baker, and Chick. I don't see there being any rights issues, but you never know. The only issue maybe getting pressing plant time.

Not sure if anyone here has watched the series Bosch, but just wrapped it up and have loved seeing the turntable/vinyl being a gentle touch any time they're at his house. Did a nice job interspersing it into the background, playing some jazz greats and having little one off conversations about them. He's got a great setup in an amazing house in the Los Angeles hills. If you're into cop/drama shows, it's one of the better ones.

Great news! I tracked down a copy of Grant Green's Nigeria Tone poet (from Barnes and Noble online) .

The bad news:
View attachment 110078

9RmpH.gif

Just received this in the mail and immediately threw it on. So far, so great. Like others in this AS series, this sounds wonderful. A really delightful trio record; the instruments are separated so well.
I’m on the fence about picking that one up. I have the DeAgostini which is actually really solid. But I know I’ll probably regret not getting one of these

Back