Jazz

Selaws

Bummed that they got a new bassist. I loved their original player. I wonder if he will be out of Wildflower as well.
Yeah I really don't know what happened. Leon was the founding member and it was he who worked on a lot of the behind the scenes stuff to get the vinyl pressed and sent out. He wasn't on the IC10 either and oddly enough when I saw Wildflower live early last year he wasn't there either, they had Tom Herbert on bass instead. I actually took a white label copy of their album along and had them sign the blank label. Tom jokingly even put "Im not Leon" on there after asking me if it was ok (which I take as being no bad blood between them....hopefully).

IMG_1860.jpeg

stpaulbrowns

WBGO's massive Fall 2021 preview of everything jazz is now out: From Bold Strokes to Fond Returns, Here's Our Guide to Feeling Good This Season

Jazz United pod (with Nate Chinen and Greg Bryant) offer A Fall Preview Six-Pack: Jazz United Picks Some Winner taken from the WBGO's fall preview.

There is some amazing stuff coming coming out/happening this fall. Almost enough to make life feel "normal" again.

I'll be updating the Jazz Reissues (and a few New Releases) spreadsheet today to include some of the titles that have slipped past me.

Last edited:

Piratenovelist

Taking a look at that reissues link. After the failure of me being able to get Quiet Kenny, I was trying to see what I could attempt for possibly. I’m not spending much now as I have a trip planned in January, but I can walls research for a 2022 if need be begin to having some jazz in the collection.

MikeH

@MikeH any of these good for a newbie?
depends on what ya like! I'm not super familiar with all of these specific titles but I'm looking forward to checking out the Art Pepper, Chet Baker, and Sun Ra. Thelonious is a classic. And Live-Evil is awesome and has been in need of a good repress. I have an early copy but it's a very cool record.

MikeH

If you're at all interested in exploring the Sun Ra cosmology, Omniverse is a great entry point. It's mostly quartet stuff and rather "inside" playing for Sun Ra circa 1979. It is a beautiful set, and not even the most "outside" cut drives my wife out of the room! ;)
took me so long to find an entry point for Sun Ra just because his work and style is all over the damn place haha. I'll check out Omniverse though. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite of his albums so far.

avecigrec

took me so long to find an entry point for Sun Ra just because his work and style is all over the damn place haha. I'll check out Omniverse though. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite of his albums so far.

Omniverse has been high on my want list for a while now. I'm quite stoked for this!

...God Is More Than Love Can Ever Be is another one I hope to see reissued soon. Very lovely trio session.

Entry points for Sun Ra are definitely a tricky business. The wrong one may end someone's interest real quick!

[Edit: typo]

Last edited:

Piratenovelist

depends on what ya like! I'm not super familiar with all of these specific titles but I'm looking forward to checking out the Art Pepper, Chet Baker, and Sun Ra. Thelonious is a classic. And Live-Evil is awesome and has been in need of a good repress. I have an early copy but it's a very cool record.
I’m a trumpet guy so the Chet Baker Intrigues me!

Piratenovelist

Ombinverse has been high on my want list for a while now. I'm quite stoked for this!

...God Is More Than Love Can Ever Be is another one I hope to see reissued soon. Very lovely trio session.

Entry points for Sun Ra are definitely a tricky business. The wrong one may end someone's interest real quick!
It’s very hard for me to be “ewww” at something. I generally vibe with many genres!