Jazz

Not sure if anyone here has watched the series Bosch, but just wrapped it up and have loved seeing the turntable/vinyl being a gentle touch any time they're at his house. Did a nice job interspersing it into the background, playing some jazz greats and having little one off conversations about them. He's got a great setup in an amazing house in the Los Angeles hills. If you're into cop/drama shows, it's one of the better ones.

Not sure if anyone here has watched the series Bosch, but just wrapped it up and have loved seeing the turntable/vinyl being a gentle touch any time they're at his house. Did a nice job interspersing it into the background, playing some jazz greats and having little one off conversations about them. He's got a great setup in an amazing house in the Los Angeles hills. If you're into cop/drama shows, it's one of the better ones.
Oooh, I need to check that one out!

Bosch is an excellent show. There was on episode in the last season and tunefind told me that the song playing was Blues for the Fisherman + Talk: "I Love You All" by Art Pepper. I'd love to know what the actual album was that was played because that version was killer.

Bosch is an excellent show. There was on episode in the last season and tunefind told me that the song playing was Blues for the Fisherman + Talk: "I Love You All" by Art Pepper. I'd love to know what the actual album was that was played because that version was killer.

I remember that! Also loved when his Daughter Maddie asked if it was Ron Carter playing. Just really got into him myself, so it was funny timing.

Just received this in the mail and immediately threw it on. So far, so great. Like others in this AS series, this sounds wonderful. A really delightful trio record; the instruments are separated so well.
Great to hear, Excited for this! I ordered it from Plaid Room yesterday so it should be here soon enough. Also picked up the new Brandee Younger record which is a cool ride from the bits I checked out on Spotify.

Bosch may have wrapped season 7, but a new season is being filmed right now. It will be back next year.

Just received this in the mail and immediately threw it on. So far, so great. Like others in this AS series, this sounds wonderful. A really delightful trio record; the instruments are separated so well.
Hey man I’m still shedding on those three notes. Working on my masterpiece!

MPS recommendations

I like the 2 MPS titles I grabbed from VMP (Henderson's Mirror Mirror and Hubbard's Hub of Hubbard). I know that MPS is doing a bit of a reissue series lately.

Any MPS titles (either originals or reissues) that you particularly like?

Another label that doesn’t get much mileage round here but is worth a look is MPS. German label reissuing some of their own 70’s releases, I have this Joe Henderson, a Freddie Hubbard, Oscar Peterson Boxset. All AAA, sleeves are pretty standard, but worth checking out if you see for a decent price.View attachment 85995
MPS recommendations

I like the 2 MPS titles I grabbed from VMP (Henderson's Mirror Mirror and Hubbard's Hub of Hubbard). I know that MPS is doing a bit of a reissue series lately.

MPS recommendations

Lately? They have been for about 7 - 8 years now!

The essentials:

Michael Naura -The Call

Wolfgang Dauner - The Oimels

Clarke Boland Big Band - All Smiles

Don Ellis - Soaring

John Taylor - Decipher

And I have to say - although these are top MPS titles, the best of MPS has not been reissued yet.

Do say. Looks like some of the MPS originals are not horrendously priced.
OK, 10 off the top of my head:

Stephane Grappelli - Young Django (just the greatest acoustic guitar album I have)

Billy Harper - Trying To Make Heaven My Home

Clarke/Boland - Latin Kaleidoscope

Eddie Griffin/Lockjaw Davis - Tough Tenors Together Again & Again (blows the socks off the Prestige duos)

Ben Webster Meets Don Byas (thegreat Don Byas - so under-recorded!)

Clare Fischer - Machaca

Charlie Mariano - Helen 12 Trees

Don Menza - Morning Song

Bob Malach - Some People

Klaus Weiss - The Git Go (needs a brown paper bag for the cover)

MPS recommendations

I have mentioned these a few times but Oscar Peterson's 'Exclusively For My Friends' are his best albums in my opinion. Really superb sessions.

The original pressings are quite affordable but there is also the 2014 6LP box set which I have only read great things about.

Back