Jazz

First of all, Music should not be a hot take. Sorry if that sounds crass, it's just my opinion and I know if goes against sm and all that.

Mingus is like Modern Art, at first its like WTF, then years later your like ahhh, genius! It takes time to grow on you. There is music when your young that is not always accessible to you, as you get older your tastes expands and things can grow on you, especially as you know more about the artist behind the music.

Mingus was a very angry man at times, that probably comes out in some of his music a little too strong at times and can be a turnoff.
Can I blame him for this ? Not at all.

I reckon to guess we all have different favorite Mingus albums/songs that inspired us to become fans.
Pork Pie Hat for me every time, because I hear the pain and the melody.

Last edited:
First of all, Music should not be a hot take. Sorry if that sounds crass, it's just my opinion and I know if goes against sm and all that.

Mingus is like Modern Art, at first its like WTF, then years later your like ahhh, genius! It takes time to grow on you. There is music when your young that is not always accessible to you, as you get older your tastes expands and things can grow on you, especially as you know more about the artist behind the music.

Mingus was a very angry man at times, that probably comes out in some of his music a little too strong at times and can be a turnoff.
Can I blame him for this ? Not at all.

I reckon to guess we all have different favorite Mingus albums/songs that inspired us to become fans.
Pork Pie Hat for me every time, because I hear the pain and the melody.

Appreciate all the responses y’all, will check out the projects named and report back at some point. I think you might’ve hit the nail on the head, the music does sound pISSED, the energy that comes through the speakers I always find fries me out a bit and it becomes hard for me to enjoy it. The Mingus I have enjoyed is the quieter slower arrangements on the records like the one you linked above. Oh well, maybe in 20 years I’ll come to love his stuff. For now it just makes me want to sleeve it and reach for some Art Blakey. I

I mean if you don’t like either of those, then you won’t like a majority of his work. Do you want more experimental/avant garde? Or do you like more straight ahead jazz?
Straight ahead I would say! Potentially experimental if it takes a “less is more” approach lol

Straight ahead I would say! Potentially experimental if it takes a “less is more” approach lol
Not much “less is more” from him but maybe try East Coasting. Mingus Plays Piano is a very interesting album too featuring Mingus solely on the piano. Blues & Roots is amazing and Money Jungle is fantastic too featuring Mingus as a sideman (Duke Ellington, Max Roach and Charles Mingus).

Ray Mazarek used to tell a great story when he popped over to NYC from Jersey one day when he was training in the Army Signal Corps and got to see Mingus practicing his band at one the clubs and barking orders. Must of been something to see live and awe inspiring!

Mitch has some great suggestions above, I will have to go through my collection and see if I can add anything to those. I have a copy of TP Money Jungle on the Way (I hope ) so I'm looking forward to having that on vinyl for the first time in my life since hearing my old mans.

Top 3 Mingus for me would be The Clown, Mingus Ah Um and The Saint and The Sinner Lady.

I also really love the A-side to Cumbia & Jazz Fusion which I'd never heard of or seen but snatched up a copy of at the first and only record show I attended. The B-side is some soundtrack work that is fine enough, but nowhere near as exciting.

Top 3 Mingus for me would be The Clown, Mingus Ah Um and The Saint and The Sinner Lady.

I also really love the A-side to Cumbia & Jazz Fusion which I'd never heard of or seen but snatched up a copy of at the first and only record show I attended. The B-side is some soundtrack work that is fine enough, but nowhere near as exciting.

The Changes albums are pretty underrated as well.

But you’re familiar with the album?? It doesn’t matter if you have a record or not but I think you should have and know the original.
This is wild! Very excited about this, just came across the NPR story elsewhere. I don't actually own a copy of ALS on vinyl (sacrilege I know). is a Live version going to be my first? is that allowed?? :)

I'm really excited for Chelsea Carmichael's album, The River Doesn't Like Strangers, to release in October.
It'll be the debut release on Shabaka Hutchings' Native Rebel Recordings and the second single just dropped.

More info:

But you’re familiar with the album?? It doesn’t matter if you have a record or not but I think you should have and know the original.
Oh yes, I absolutely know the album. It funny, I have a decent amount of jazz records at this point, but neither A Love Supreme or Kind of Blue, which feel like two of the 'essential' albums one would buy.

Some more classic British Jazz coming out, this time to commemorate the 10th year since the passing of Graham Collier.

Just seen that this label has released a couple of other records in the past, hope its not another rabbit hole.....

Just ordered this. It might not be to everyones tastes but I really liked the Mike Westbrook album they released.

Some more classic British Jazz coming out, this time to commemorate the 10th year since the passing of Graham Collier.

Just seen that this label has released a couple of other records in the past, hope its not another rabbit hole.....

I have the Harry Beckett - Still Happy from them and it's really great. I think he's probably my favourite UK jazz musician from that era.

I have the Harry Beckett - Still Happy from them and it's really great. I think he's probably my favourite UK jazz musician from that era.

I missed out on that one. TBH Graham Collier feat. 'Harry Becket" was why a put in a pre-order so quickly on this one. Harry Becket is pretty awesome.

Back