Jazz

Impulse! announced John Coltrane: A Love Supreme - Live in Seattle. The recording is reportedly from a private collection and one of only three on em recordings of the full suite.

Very curious about this given the original masters for ALS were lost in the warehouse fire.

Oh wow this is amazing!

Sounds like the guy that originally recorded it, Joe Brazil, has had the tapes in his possession until now.

Edit:

A bit more info curtesy of Zev Feldman (or Resonance)

IMG_6450.jpg

Last edited:
The audio in that youtube clip sounds great, best to appreciate the performance and art in this case from a master!

I believe that John Coltran's music rearranges your molecular structure - Carlos Santana
Yeah it sounded pretty good through my phone so hopefully the release turns out great.

That's great, I was under the impression that the only time they played ALS Suite was in France , but this is good news. With Pharoah along this will be pretty intense and wild I think , Live In Seattle(1971) is not for the faint of Heart . Will be interesting what he brings to ALS.
Oh wow this is amazing!

Sounds like the guy that originally recorded it, Joe Brazil, has had the tapes in his possession until now.

Edit:

A bit more info curtesy of Zev Feldman (or Resonance)

View attachment 109975

Last edited:
More info on John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle:

Release date: October 8
Impulse! has 25 percent off all Coltrane right now.
NPR/Nate Chinen Review - John Coltrane's Masterpiece Breathes New Life With 'A Love Supreme: Live In Seattle'
Jazz Times - JOHN COLTRANE’S A LOVE SUPREME LIVE IN SEATTLE 1965 SET FOR OCTOBER RELEASE ON IMPULSE!
Pitchfork - John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme: Live in Seattle Album Announced
This is wild! Very excited about this, just came across the NPR story elsewhere. I don't actually own a copy of ALS on vinyl (sacrilege I know). is a Live version going to be my first? is that allowed?? :)

Why do I not like Mingus
I’ve heard Ah Um and Mingus x5 and have glazed over every time I’ve heard them
I can’t say you’d start to like Mingus after listening to “Mingus at Antibes,” but it’s also hard to imagine your eyes would glaze over.

I think it’s bursting w/ energy, and it is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums. Maybe give it a try? (edit: there is slow material on there, so maybe it’s not always “bursting,” but even that stuff connects emotionally)

Back