Jazz

Gettng back to these, I have been listening to all 3.

The Bill Evans is the weakest. Let's say that the source is...dubious. Grundman did his best.

The Coleman is a straight ahead, hot blowing session, great mastering by Grey.

The Rollins is also mastered by Grey, and while not a top flight recording, varying between 1 side studio, the second live, and the 3rd and 4th a different live date,is better than the Evans. The presntaton is fantastic, with a trifold sleeve and large booklet, but it is also quite expensive for a double set. Rollins is on great form, but the local pickup rhythm section is fne, but not on his level.

Of the 3 = The Coleman is my number 1, the Rollins second, and the Evans last.

I thought the Rollins was a triple?

Edit - it is a triple, sides CD & EF are from the same performance (I was thinking that would be very expensive for a double)

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts about the Herbie Hancock Trio RSD release tomorrow? Get On Down hasn't been the best in the past, but their Mingus Ah Um RSD release from October sounds pretty great. Worth the shot on the Hancock?
I’d say take a shot once it inevitably goes up on Discogs for reasonable prices. I never particularly liked Get On Down’s releases. I had Flood but sold it. If I can get it really cheap I will, otherwise I’ll just keep searching for an original vinyl. I might just bite the bullet and import one from Japan one of these days.

I’d say take a shot once it inevitably goes up on Discogs for reasonable prices. I never particularly liked Get On Down’s releases. I had Flood but sold it. If I can get it really cheap I will, otherwise I’ll just keep searching for an original vinyl. I might just bite the bullet and import one from Japan one of these days.
I don't know, their Mingus Ah Um release is pretty great.

I haven't tried here yet, so.......

Has anyone in the UK seen an online store that has the George Coleman - In Baltimore release? Cant seem to find a copy anywhere!

Jazz nerds - what’s the best (or your favorite) Sonny Rollins album?

Casual listener, short attention span. Hit me with one!

To add to great selections from @ThePakoBuelna I would also add Saxophone Colossus and A Night At The "Village Vanguard". Rollins wasn't a fan of recording and his live work was where he felt more comfortable. A Night At The "Village Vanguard" is a great example and as close to the live Rollins performance as we could likely get to on vinyl.

To add to great selections from @ThePakoBuelna I would also add Saxophone Colossus and A Night At The "Village Vanguard". Rollins wasn't a fan of recording and his live work was where he felt more comfortable. A Night At The "Village Vanguard" is a great example and as close to the live Rollins performance as we could likely get to on vinyl.
Thanks for this. I see a few different versions w altered track lists. Any of that matter in regards to the integrity of the show? Thanks in advance!

Way Out West, Saxophone Colossus, Village Vanguard for me. Honestly he didn’t really make any bad albums until the 70’s. Everything is worth a shot to listen to at the very least. To me, he definitely shines in a trio setting.

I've got Saxophone Colossus, Freedom Suite and Alfie. The Bridge is one album I still need to pick up, but struggling to find a good pressing in decent condition at a reasonable price in the UK.
Is the ORG pressing readily available in the UK? That’s the copy I have and it sounds fantastic

Just got the AP version of Oscar Peterson Trio’s We Get Requests... wow it’s awesome! Highly recommended.
Been eyeing that one for a while now. I’m glad they restocked it. Need to get AP Ella & Louis and LA Woman first and then hopefully I’ll swing around to that one early in the new year. Really gotta plan them out when they’re $55 a pop 😭

Been eyeing that one for a while now. I’m glad they restocked it. Need to get AP Ella & Louis and LA Woman first and then hopefully I’ll swing around to that one early in the new year. Really gotta plan them out when they’re $55 a pop 😭
I got one off of Discogs used for $40. Kind of a steal ha! But yeah if you can swing it sometime it sounds incredible. Just a super enjoyable album too.

Back