Jazz

How do you guys sort your jazz records? Alphabetically and/or chronologically? By label? By country? By "category"? By sub-genre? By instrument? I can't find the perfect way to sort my collection but I am more and more inclined in sorting by leader main instrument.

- Alphabetically and then chronologically is the easiest way but not the best when I am in a certain mood and want to hear something to match with my mood.
- By label is nice because it looks beautiful on the shelves due to the spines looks similar (ex: all Blue Note records together) but it splits a lot of musicians discographies.
- By country is cool too, even more since my collection is mostly made of American, Japanese and British records. But what to do with the few Belgian, French or Portuguese records I have? They deserve more than a ROW section.
- By "category" could work but I am afraid I would get lost easily. I could have a "monsters of jazz" section with all BN, Verve, etc... classics, a "j-jazz" section, a "uk jazz", etc... Where to stop?
By sub-genre? There are so many and there will be records that could fit two or more sub-genre and I would spend nights and nights thinking about it, trying to find a solution.
- Finally by instrument and it's the sorting I prefer. First, I can't (and don't want to) remember of any jazz musician who was/is a monster in more than one instrument (if you do, please don't tell). Second, you can mix all countries, labels, categories, sub-genres, etc... You can sub-sort in the way you want even though the coolest, IMO, is chronologically. Imagine your Saxophone section with Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Joe Henderson, Stan Getz, Wayne Shorter, Muriel Grossmann and Nubya Garcia (among many others).
My layout is one of those that would annoy most people but it works for me. I have a couple of cubes for Blue Note and Impulse releases, then alphabetical mixed jazz, UK/new releases, box sets, then J-jazz.

How do you guys sort your jazz records? Alphabetically and/or chronologically? By label? By country? By "category"? By sub-genre? By instrument? I can't find the perfect way to sort my collection but I am more and more inclined in sorting by leader main instrument.

- Alphabetically and then chronologically is the easiest way but not the best when I am in a certain mood and want to hear something to match with my mood.
- By label is nice because it looks beautiful on the shelves due to the spines looks similar (ex: all Blue Note records together) but it splits a lot of musicians discographies.
- By country is cool too, even more since my collection is mostly made of American, Japanese and British records. But what to do with the few Belgian, French or Portuguese records I have? They deserve more than a ROW section.
- By "category" could work but I am afraid I would get lost easily. I could have a "monsters of jazz" section with all BN, Verve, etc... classics, a "j-jazz" section, a "uk jazz", etc... Where to stop?
By sub-genre? There are so many and there will be records that could fit two or more sub-genre and I would spend nights and nights thinking about it, trying to find a solution.
- Finally by instrument and it's the sorting I prefer. First, I can't (and don't want to) remember of any jazz musician who was/is a monster in more than one instrument (if you do, please don't tell). Second, you can mix all countries, labels, categories, sub-genres, etc... You can sub-sort in the way you want even though the coolest, IMO, is chronologically. Imagine your Saxophone section with Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Joe Henderson, Stan Getz, Wayne Shorter, Muriel Grossmann and Nubya Garcia (among many others).
I sort alphabetically. But with my jazz albums, I have a separate section for my "audiophile" pressings (also arranged alphabetically), which includes things like SRX, MMJ, Sam Records, Reel to Real, Tone Poet, and BN80 titles. I like to be able to reach for these easily.

Last edited:

You forgot my method, which is “by wherever they happen to get shoved into the shelf, making them impossible to find without crawling around later on, but change is hard”

I sort by country of origin first, then by decade, then by order of acquisition.

I still wonder if sorting by chronological order would make more sense, but not sure what I'd do about albums recorded over multiple sessions.

I still wonder if sorting by chronological order would make more sense, but not sure what I'd do about albums recorded over multiple sessions.
Kind of surprising that if you are concerned about the spines not being printed correctly to "file in the right order," you'd see date of issue, which isn't printed at all, as a viable option.

Kind of surprising that if you are concerned about the spines not being printed correctly to "file in the right order," you'd see date of issue, which isn't printed at all, as a viable option.
I was referencing vmp's most recent printing error, misprinting 'the hawk flies high' as 'the hawk files high'.

That's why my post said 'flied in the right order'...just wondered if anyone would pick up on it 😁

Anyone pick up the Monty Alexander BFRSD release? My local didn't carry it, but I have seen some great things and it seems pretty easy to find.

Anyone pick up the Monty Alexander BFRSD release? My local didn't carry it, but I have seen some great things and it seems pretty easy to find.
I have a copy on its way to me and its likely going to be one of the first that I delve into, I will post on here when I get it!

I set up the Sauce and Dogs releases to spin tomorrow and I just wondered if there's been any more clues as to who the group actually is? I had a quick search online but still shrowded in mystery. Reminds me of the 1000 Kings release, which was a mystery group for a while.

Ryo Fukui In New York​

A Letter From Slowboat​

Anyone have either of these? If so, any thoughts? Considering these but they are pretty expensive at around $40 each from what I've seen.

Ryo Fukui In New York​

A Letter From Slowboat​

Anyone have either of these? If so, any thoughts? Considering these but they are pretty expensive at around $40 each from what I've seen.
Got both of them last week and I love them. Think Slowboat is a particularly strong session but each one has a bit of a different flavor. As for sound quality I believe they sounded pretty damn good. I’ll throw on In New York right now for ya and report back with more collected thoughts.

Back