Jazz

Personally I'd never listen to ANYTHING from COPY TAPE, only HOT STAMPERS from the very first pressing using PRISTINE tape with perfect sonic fidelity, so powerful I can feel the spit spraying from the ends of the horns.
Make sure you get a LOW NUMBER first pressing from the COUNTRY OF ORIGIN only and not only will you feel the spit, you will feel your nuts getting stroked right out of the horns.

Don't know about Get On Down, but it's a good album, could probably get an original Japanese press for less maybe and would be better press for sure. They did 2 albums and they're stellar as you would expect .
Anyone have any thoughts about the Herbie Hancock Trio RSD release tomorrow? Get On Down hasn't been the best in the past, but their Mingus Ah Um RSD release from October sounds pretty great. Worth the shot on the Hancock?

Last edited:
I feel like that’s the one that I may enjoy the most. I do like his work as a sideman on some albums I have: Maiden Voyage, Impact, The Sermon. I think I’ll pick it up. I’m assuming the Bill Evans will be the most in demand, at least initially day of.
Gettng back to these, I have been listening to all 3.

The Bill Evans is the weakest. Let's say that the source is...dubious. Grundman did his best.

The Coleman is a straight ahead, hot blowing session, great mastering by Grey.

The Rollins is also mastered by Grey, and while not a top flight recording, varying between 1 side studio, the second live, and the 3rd and 4th a different live date,is better than the Evans. The presntaton is fantastic, with a trifold sleeve and large booklet, but it is also quite expensive for a double set. Rollins is on great form, but the local pickup rhythm section is fne, but not on his level.

Of the 3 = The Coleman is my number 1, the Rollins second, and the Evans last.

The Bill Evans is the weakest. Let's say that the source is...dubious. Grundman did his best.

The Rollins is also mastered by Grey, and while not a top flight recording, varying between 1 side studio, the second live, and the 3rd and 4th a different live date,is better than the Evans. The presntaton is fantastic, with a trifold sleeve and large booklet, but it is also quite expensive for a double set. Rollins is on great form, but the local pickup rhythm section is fne, but not on his level.

The thing about the Ronnie Scott recordings is that they are as much about the historic significance over the recording quality itself. Evans spent a month residency at the club and the recordings were meant to be rumoured and built up a kind of mythical status over the years. It was actually DeJohnette that recorded them on an amateur set-up. In the past I remember seeing an interview with Zev Feldman where he talked about the excitement of finding a tape of the session but it being very poor....turns out they were listening to it on the wrong set-up.

Anyway, my ordering would be the same as yours but with the Coleman/Rollins swapped and the Monty Alexander thrown in just after Evans (just because I am less familiar with him than the others).

The thing about the Ronnie Scott recordings is that they are as much about the historic significance over the recording quality itself. Evans spent a month residency at the club and the recordings were meant to be rumoured and built up a kind of mythical status over the years. It was actually DeJohnette that recorded them on an amateur set-up. In the past I remember seeing an interview with Zev Feldman where he talked about the excitement of finding a tape of the session but it being very poor....turns out they were listening to it on the wrong set-up.

Anyway, my ordering would be the same as yours but with the Coleman/Rollins swapped and the Monty Alexander thrown in just after Evans (just because I am less familiar with him than the others).
BTW Monty's best MPS recordings have ben reissued, in superb 180g pressings. IMHO that is the best way in to Monty.

The Bill Evans - great RTI pressings, great mastering, bootleg audio. I have to admit I picked it up for the cover art. Shameful. Don't tell my wife.

Thanks for the input. I’m incredibly excited for the Sonny Rollins and George Coleman sets! I snagged a Coleman off of eBay last night for list price so I just have to find a Rollins tomorrow. Shouldn’t be too hard.

Show some respect for my fellow countrymen won't you 😜 Han Bennink and Ruud Jacobs are basically the two most famous Dutch jazz players.

Yeah I played some snippets of both the Coleman and Rollins albums and they will be fantastic. I’m getting both and maybe that’s it. I’m going to hold off on the Bill Evans until I hear more about the quality of it even though I’m sure it will be good.

I heard that the Rollins was a bit of an archival release, i.e not audiophile sounding, but good. I think it was on the Zev Feldman interview.

Edit - this guy who interviewed Zef Feldman got the resonance releases from him & has done a preview of the Black Friday jazz releases. He says the sound on Rollins is definitely not audiophile, more archival, but has some good playing. He doesn't mention the quality of the Bill Evans

Last edited:
Back