Jazz

I won't post too much here about it going forward because I don't want to hogg up the thread with non-vinyl stuff (i might end up making a thread as @Skalap suggested, I'm just conscious of it being overly self-indulgent). But one thing did happen last night which is pretty cool and might be of interest. I was sorting through the mountain of cassettes, cleaning and organising them into piles. There's a lot here which I will get rid of (about 50%) which are random recordings copied from CD's, full recordings of jazz radio (the documentaries, interviews, live sessions are catalogued separately), etc. There's some stuff that isn't to my taste but I am keeping for the curio aspect (almost 100 cassettes of live recordings of Frank Sinatra, interviews with him, documentaries etc).

Anyway, there's a big pile that is untitled, or with initials scribbled on each cassette. I have so much good stuff to listen through (I have sorted it into a 'pure gold' pile and an 'average in comparison' pile) that I was going to dump them. I decided to randomly pluck a cassette from the pile and listen to it just in case they were worth exploring. The cassette I pulled out (shown below) was plain apart from 'F.H. 2' AND 'ORG'. I then found 'F.H 1' and played it. I instantly realised that it was a decent live recording and it was niggling at me that I recognised the tone of the trumpet. I rewound the tape and the compere announced the group led by......Freddie Hubbard. Turns out its a live recording of Freddie Hubbard at Ronnie Scotts, complete with compere introductions and Hubbard chatting to the audience in-between tracks.

Another cassette of interest, which I am super excited to listen to, is one which I imagine will peak the interest of @britprogjazz. Its a live recording of Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson at Ronnie Scotts in 1974. @britprogjazz has just released her autobiography which I will no doubt pick up after hearing this - link to the book here.

View attachment 72824
It's possible we have the master tape of this. I'll investigate ;-)

So I finally got the Jimmy Giuffre 3 Graz Live 1961 album. Having not heard anything by him before, it was quite interesting. Reading the liner notes, this group was framed as a “chamber jazz group” which makes sense after hearing the music and the classical/composed nature of the tunes. The music is mostly mid-tempo and never goes far out or anything and there’s a lot of space in the music to hear the individual soloing. I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as free jazz or at least what I think of free jazz being. Maybe something closer to “Third Wave”. I don’t really have another example of something that sounds like this; it’s very unique.

I mostly bought this on a whim because it looked like an interesting recording of someone who I don’t own any recordings of. The vinyl is flawless, seriously one of the quietest records I’ve listened to in a long time. The recording is fantastic too, and probably sounds just as good if not better than this group’s recordings for Verve at the same time in 1961. I’ll probably end up picking up those too (Thesis and Fusion).

So I finally got the Jimmy Giuffre 3 Graz Live 1961 album. Having not heard anything by him before, it was quite interesting. Reading the liner notes, this group was framed as a “chamber jazz group” which makes sense after hearing the music and the classical/composed nature of the tunes. The music is mostly mid-tempo and never goes far out or anything and there’s a lot of space in the music to hear the individual soloing. I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as free jazz or at least what I think of free jazz being. Maybe something closer to “Third Wave”. I don’t really have another example of something that sounds like this; it’s very unique.

I mostly bought this on a whim because it looked like an interesting recording of someone who I don’t own any recordings of. The vinyl is flawless, seriously one of the quietest records I’ve listened to in a long time. The recording is fantastic too, and probably sounds just as good if not better than this group’s recordings for Verve at the same time in 1961. I’ll probably end up picking up those too (Thesis and Fusion).
Oh man I have seen a lot of talk about this one and im getting more and more tempted. I picked up the Jimmy Giuffre - New York Sessions instead and its good, but out there.

Oh man I have seen a lot of talk about this one and im getting more and more tempted. I picked up the Jimmy Giuffre - New York Sessions instead and its good, but out there.
Yeah this definitely isn’t “out there” but much more composed chaos. I would check out some snippets of the two Verve albums (Thesis and Fusion) and see what you think. A lot of those compositions are included in the live set and are stretched out. Giuffre is solely on clarinet for these too.

Stumbled into a random vintage store today and walked away with some unexpected gold.

two Japanese pressings and a promo copy! Red Garland sounds incredible after a clean. Hopefully the others are right up there with it.79E76654-44A3-4DB3-A970-30B1613B1DC1.jpeg

There's been a lot of Mingus chatter lately and it has led me back to an album of his I know I liked quite a bit the first time I listened to it. I have a NM copy of the 1959 original stereo pressing of Jazz Portraits. It's a live recording that features John Handy on alto sax and Booker Ervin on tenor and my goodness do they bop! (Richard Wyands on piano; Dannie Richmond on drums). Gotta say that Handy is amazing throughout on this album. The performance is beautifully recorded and sounds fantastic, with each instrument given plenty of space within the mix. I'd love to know how they managed this in a live setting in 1959! Highly recommended.

Here's a taste of the incredible interplay between the horns:

CM.jpg

Oh my the reissue of A Love Supreme is fantastic. Best I’ve heard the album sound. It’s bugging me that the album art is cropped though. More saturated than it should be too in addition to the gaudy junk in the bottom left corner on the back that probably has to be there.
Just want to second this. I was really blown away by how good A Love Supreme sounded. Usually I don't take the time to sit down and listen, but this one made me do it.

Also available on udiscover for 30% off now. With the promo code (30OFF!FALL) it brings it down to $50 shipped. Highway robbery.

Also available on udiscover for 30% off now. With the promo code (30OFF!FALL) it brings it down to $50 shipped. Highway robbery.
:D Consider that highway robbed!

I won't post too much here about it going forward because I don't want to hogg up the thread with non-vinyl stuff (i might end up making a thread as @Skalap suggested, I'm just conscious of it being overly self-indulgent). But one thing did happen last night which is pretty cool and might be of interest. I was sorting through the mountain of cassettes, cleaning and organising them into piles. There's a lot here which I will get rid of (about 50%) which are random recordings copied from CD's, full recordings of jazz radio (the documentaries, interviews, live sessions are catalogued separately), etc. There's some stuff that isn't to my taste but I am keeping for the curio aspect (almost 100 cassettes of live recordings of Frank Sinatra, interviews with him, documentaries etc).

Anyway, there's a big pile that is untitled, or with initials scribbled on each cassette. I have so much good stuff to listen through (I have sorted it into a 'pure gold' pile and an 'average in comparison' pile) that I was going to dump them. I decided to randomly pluck a cassette from the pile and listen to it just in case they were worth exploring. The cassette I pulled out (shown below) was plain apart from 'F.H. 2' AND 'ORG'. I then found 'F.H 1' and played it. I instantly realised that it was a decent live recording and it was niggling at me that I recognised the tone of the trumpet. I rewound the tape and the compere announced the group led by......Freddie Hubbard. Turns out its a live recording of Freddie Hubbard at Ronnie Scotts, complete with compere introductions and Hubbard chatting to the audience in-between tracks.

Another cassette of interest, which I am super excited to listen to, is one which I imagine will peak the interest of @britprogjazz. Its a live recording of Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson at Ronnie Scotts in 1974. @britprogjazz has just released her autobiography which I will no doubt pick up after hearing this - link to the book here.

View attachment 72824

Everybody loves a bit of Frank, 'I'll keep for the curio aspect' :)

I finally got my copy through yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Sounds good.

I havent blind bought something this quick in a while. A double LP from Binker Moses recorded live at London's Total Refreshment Centre in June 2017, at the launch of their 'Journey to the Mountain of Forever' album. This is going to be fire!

@Mr Moore I know you have been digging these guys lately.

Edit: After listening to the available sample track I looped it back on repeat......my god these guys can play!

Last edited:
That was actually the mockup sleeve. Here's the finished article. Keep an eye on Bandcamp tomorrow.
Blurb is as follows:

COMING SOON
Group Sounds Four & Five: Black & White Raga
(JIB-14-M-LP vinyl & download).

Two sessions previously assumed either lost or unrecorded, by Henry Lowther’s and Lyn Dobson’s mid-sixties groups. Considered one of the missing links in the development of British free-form jazz.

The Group Sounds Four session includes Jack Bruce, who contributes an original composition never otherwise recorded. Also features Ron Rubin, Ken McCarthy and Jon Hiseman. With comprehensive notes by Duncan Heining concerning the historical significance of these recordings.

From tapes in Jon Hiseman’s archive. Sensational audio quality.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/jazzinbritain or Jazz In Britain for updates.GS45 mockup.jpg

Back