Jazz

I wonder if this AS series will reissue any Oscar Peterson! What would be the albums you guys would hope get the tone poet-esque treatment (outside of Night Train)
Hopefully his stuff with Lester Young and Ben Webster. I can almost guarantee that we will see more Oscar Peterson albums though. He released and played on so many recordings.

Does anyone know anything about this? Looks like a interesting realease

I guess there must be a new documentary on the way about Billie Holliday as well

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this? Looks like a interesting realease

I guess there must be a new documentary on the way about Billie Holliday as well

I saw the trailer for Billie the other day, looks fantastic. They colourised a load of old film which is quite cool (I imagine that took hours and hours). Here it is:

I saw the trailer for Billie the other day, looks fantastic. They colourised a load of old film which is quite cool (I imagine that took hours and hours). Here it is:

Looks really good. definitely something to look forward to.

Just to piggyback on this, there's a great looking documentary currently showing at Everyman Cinema's here in the UK called Ronnie's. It looks at Ronnie Scotts club and the man himself. Its been getting great reviews and heres a clip with voiceover from Gilles Peterson.

And the trailer is imbedded in this article:

Last edited:
I missed VMP's Attica Blues, and I saw this one at my local record store yesterday, with a "slight warp."
Price is low, I think I'll take a chance when I'm back there.

Any Charles Tolliver enthusiasts (has played on albums from Jackie McLean, to Horace Silver, to Max Roach, to Andrew Hill) on this thread? His latest LP, Connect (2020), is now $8 on deepdiscount:

Use code PLUNGE for 10% off this already rockin' price. Thanks for the heads-up!
I just received this record from deepdiscount. Not only a stupid price and perfect looking record, but it's in a high-quality, re-sealable outer sleeve to boot! Sometimes these deals really are unbelievable.

Just thought this might be of interest to the group. Some of you might know that I bought a big pile of cassettes a few weeks ago, with the majority being live recordings of concerts in London. Amongst the pile is some oddities of recorded radio shows. This one, which I believe is from 1997 is 2 hours long, with the first hour being interviews and a documentary on the club and the second being Ronnie Scotts last live performance for the BBC before he died.

Its a fascinating documentary which im sure some of you would really enjoy, I bet there will be a stream on youtube or somewhere similar. A few interesting anecdotes include an interview with the house pianist, Stan Tracey (I coincidentally bought his album 'Jazz Suite' a few days ago). He had to be extremely versatile as he played with every single performer, regardless of their style, every night for many years. He was so 'broken' at the end of it that for 3 years he struggled even to climb a staircase (after he recorded he was fully fit again).

Another fantastic anecdote centers around Ronald Kirks performance. At the beginning of the gig he handed out whistles to the audience for them to play at a specific number. After performing a song for several minutes without stopping (he was circular breathing - the clip is included in the doc) the crowd began to blow their whistles. Unbeknownst to Kirk, a group of police were raiding the club and blowing their whistles to get attention, but the sound was lost in the crowd of whistles. The police told Scott to stop Kirk playing to which he replied "You stop him, I cant".

IMG_4369.jpg

Just thought this might be of interest to the group. Some of you might know that I bought a big pile of cassettes a few weeks ago, with the majority being live recordings of concerts in London. Amongst the pile is some oddities of recorded radio shows. This one, which I believe is from 1997 is 2 hours long, with the first hour being interviews and a documentary on the club and the second being Ronnie Scotts last live performance for the BBC before he died.

Its a fascinating documentary which im sure some of you would really enjoy, I bet there will be a stream on youtube or somewhere similar. A few interesting anecdotes include an interview with the house pianist, Stan Tracey (I coincidentally bought his album 'Jazz Suite' a few days ago). He had to be extremely versatile as he played with every single performer, regardless of their style, every night for many years. He was so 'broken' at the end of it that for 3 years he struggled even to climb a staircase (after he recorded he was fully fit again).

Another fantastic anecdote centers around Ronald Kirks performance. At the beginning of the gig he handed out whistles to the audience for them to play at a specific number. After performing a song for several minutes without stopping (he was circular breathing - the clip is included in the doc) the crowd began to blow their whistles. Unbeknownst to Kirk, a group of police were raiding the club and blowing their whistles to get attention, but the sound was lost in the crowd of whistles. The police told Scott to stop Kirk playing to which he replied "You stop him, I cant".

View attachment 72400
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. You should seriously consider creating a podcast series of these if you don’t copyright issues would get in the way.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. You should seriously consider creating a podcast series of these if you don’t copyright issues would get in the way.
That's what I would be most worried about tbh. I'm sure it's fine for me to have them and listen to them, but as soon as I start sharing them I'm not sure about the legalities of it. I'm actually expecting a big (mega big) delivery from the guy I bought the original stack off. He's basically got the rest of the tapes which were recovered from a house clearance and is going to be delivering them to me, so there's going to be a mountain to get through.

Just to keep the interest going in the Ronnie Scotts doc, another cool story is that when the club moved to 47 Frith Street they started getting into financial trouble but their wealthy friends helped them out of it. One night Pete King (the manager) was chatting to Chris Blackwell (of Island Records) and Chris brought up the issue of money, asking if the rumours were true. Pete explained they were true and that they had to come up with £100,000 otherwise the club would shut. Chris said "put me down for £25,000" and headed over to the bar. The next day they had a cheque on their desk. Amazing.

I’m spinning the Hellen Merrill debut album AP issue right now and noticed Clark Terry is credited with trumpet even though it’s definitely Clifford Brown. Anyone know why that is?

I’m spinning the Hellen Merrill debut album AP issue right now and noticed Clark Terry is credited with trumpet even though it’s definitely Clifford Brown. Anyone know why that is?
How strange, it shows that on the original release as well. I really cant understand what happened there, its clearly an error as Clifford is even in the photo above the caption.

How strange, it shows that on the original release as well. I really cant understand what happened there, its clearly an error as Clifford is even in the photo above the caption.
Exactly ha! Who knows. I doubt anyone here has an original to clarify. It was probably a screw up on the original and it was just reproduced on the AP issue.

Exactly ha! Who knows. I doubt anyone here has an original to clarify. It was probably a screw up on the original and it was just reproduced on the AP issue.
Thats what it looks like, you can make out on the OG's discogs photo that its the same

I mentioned earlier that I was going to be having a load more tapes delivered. Well, now I have all of the tapes from this person's estate. I also have confirmation of who they previously belonged to and who recorded the live sessions. I will reveal all at some point but the seller has a storage lock-up full of jazz records from the same person, so I'm hoping to get in on that action first. In the mean time I have a lot of work to do.....

IMG_4386.JPG

I mentioned earlier that I was going to be having a load more tapes delivered. Well, now I have all of the tapes from this person's estate. I also have confirmation of who they previously belonged to and who recorded the live sessions. I will reveal all at some point but the seller has a storage lock-up full of jazz records from the same person, so I'm hoping to get in on that action first. In the mean time I have a lot of work to do.....

View attachment 72524

Amazing. Simply amazing. Please start a new thread and keep us updated.

Back