Jazz

I mentioned earlier that I was going to be having a load more tapes delivered. Well, now I have all of the tapes from this person's estate. I also have confirmation of who they previously belonged to and who recorded the live sessions. I will reveal all at some point but the seller has a storage lock-up full of jazz records from the same person, so I'm hoping to get in on that action first. In the mean time I have a lot of work to do.....

View attachment 72524
Dude!

I missed VMP's Attica Blues, and I saw this one at my local record store yesterday, with a "slight warp."
Price is low, I think I'll take a chance when I'm back there.
Grabbed it today. Eyeballed it at the shop, doesn’t look bad. $15!

Interested to see what people make of this remix album. I tried listening to it earlier but it really didn't hit the spot for me, unfortunately.

I mentioned earlier that I was going to be having a load more tapes delivered. Well, now I have all of the tapes from this person's estate. I also have confirmation of who they previously belonged to and who recorded the live sessions. I will reveal all at some point but the seller has a storage lock-up full of jazz records from the same person, so I'm hoping to get in on that action first. In the mean time I have a lot of work to do.....

View attachment 72524
That is an honest to Xenu treasure trove.

That is an honest to Xenu treasure trove.
I won't post too much here about it going forward because I don't want to hogg up the thread with non-vinyl stuff (i might end up making a thread as @Skalap suggested, I'm just conscious of it being overly self-indulgent). But one thing did happen last night which is pretty cool and might be of interest. I was sorting through the mountain of cassettes, cleaning and organising them into piles. There's a lot here which I will get rid of (about 50%) which are random recordings copied from CD's, full recordings of jazz radio (the documentaries, interviews, live sessions are catalogued separately), etc. There's some stuff that isn't to my taste but I am keeping for the curio aspect (almost 100 cassettes of live recordings of Frank Sinatra, interviews with him, documentaries etc).

Anyway, there's a big pile that is untitled, or with initials scribbled on each cassette. I have so much good stuff to listen through (I have sorted it into a 'pure gold' pile and an 'average in comparison' pile) that I was going to dump them. I decided to randomly pluck a cassette from the pile and listen to it just in case they were worth exploring. The cassette I pulled out (shown below) was plain apart from 'F.H. 2' AND 'ORG'. I then found 'F.H 1' and played it. I instantly realised that it was a decent live recording and it was niggling at me that I recognised the tone of the trumpet. I rewound the tape and the compere announced the group led by......Freddie Hubbard. Turns out its a live recording of Freddie Hubbard at Ronnie Scotts, complete with compere introductions and Hubbard chatting to the audience in-between tracks.

Another cassette of interest, which I am super excited to listen to, is one which I imagine will peak the interest of @britprogjazz. Its a live recording of Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson at Ronnie Scotts in 1974. @britprogjazz has just released her autobiography which I will no doubt pick up after hearing this - link to the book here.

IMG_4426.JPG

I won't post too much here about it going forward because I don't want to hogg up the thread with non-vinyl stuff (i might end up making a thread as @Skalap suggested, I'm just conscious of it being overly self-indulgent). But one thing did happen last night which is pretty cool and might be of interest. I was sorting through the mountain of cassettes, cleaning and organising them into piles. There's a lot here which I will get rid of (about 50%) which are random recordings copied from CD's, full recordings of jazz radio (the documentaries, interviews, live sessions are catalogued separately), etc. There's some stuff that isn't to my taste but I am keeping for the curio aspect (almost 100 cassettes of live recordings of Frank Sinatra, interviews with him, documentaries etc).

Anyway, there's a big pile that is untitled, or with initials scribbled on each cassette. I have so much good stuff to listen through (I have sorted it into a 'pure gold' pile and an 'average in comparison' pile) that I was going to dump them. I decided to randomly pluck a cassette from the pile and listen to it just in case they were worth exploring. The cassette I pulled out (shown below) was plain apart from 'F.H. 2' AND 'ORG'. I then found 'F.H 1' and played it. I instantly realised that it was a decent live recording and it was niggling at me that I recognised the tone of the trumpet. I rewound the tape and the compere announced the group led by......Freddie Hubbard. Turns out its a live recording of Freddie Hubbard at Ronnie Scotts, complete with compere introductions and Hubbard chatting to the audience in-between tracks.

Another cassette of interest, which I am super excited to listen to, is one which I imagine will peak the interest of @britprogjazz. Its a live recording of Barbara Thompson with Oscar Peterson at Ronnie Scotts in 1974. @britprogjazz has just released her autobiography which I will no doubt pick up after hearing this - link to the book here.

View attachment 72824

Another amazing find! I suggested to open a new thread because, imo, those tapes deserve it. There are certainly some amazing stuff to be found in these tapes. I didn't wanted to sound like "open a new thread for this and stop talking about these tapes here". Sorry if that's the case, that's not what I meant.

View attachment 72524
Nice work if you can get it, huh?

If you are asking for volunteers to help listen to all those tapes....

Another amazing find! I suggested to open a new thread because, imo, those tapes deserve it. There are certainly some amazing stuff to be found in these tapes. I didn't wanted to sound like "open a new thread for this and stop talking about these tapes here". Sorry if that's the case, that's not what I meant.
Nooo I didn't think you meant that! I will sort out a thread later today with some more interesting bits to start it off.

Nice work if you can get it, huh?

If you are asking for volunteers to help listen to all those tapes....
Haha there's certainly a lot to get through but I have been having real fun with them! Im going to read up on the legalities of sharing them, it would be cool to work out a way of doing it.

Nooo I didn't think you meant that! I will sort out a thread later today with some more interesting bits to start it off.

Haha there's certainly a lot to get through but I have been having real fun with them! Im going to read up on the legalities of sharing them, it would be cool to work out a way of doing it.
Would be great to read more and hear them too, hope there's a way to listen to even a small selection of them. I'm sure theres some fascinating stories waiting to be told!

Back