Jazz

Have to say, I'm loving the 'gypsy jazz' Gabor Szabo Dreams album from vmp. Wondering where to go from here, what other albums of his or of a similar nature are recommended?

Have to say, I'm loving the 'gypsy jazz' Gabor Szabo Dreams album from vmp. Wondering where to go from here, what other albums of his or of a similar nature are recommended?
The obvious choice for gypsy guitar jazz would be Django Reinhardt. I picked up this mega box set a while ago and loved delving into it. The booklet contains a fascinating background into the musician and the recordings as well.

Accidentally wandered into my local during RSD yesterday and stumbled upon the new Mingus Ah Um pressing, was very close to grabbing it but couldn’t help but feel I was falling victim to fomo. I had been gifted a Jazz Wax pressing of Ah Um by a friend (she tried lol), and it sounds actually fine to my ears but I remembered that I NEVER spin it so I put it down. Luckily I came across this gem in the bins as well, a sealed ORG pressing limited to 1000! Never listened to it prior to walking out with it but man, this is a really fun and easy to listen to session that is going to undoubtedly get way more spin time in my household! DON’T FALL FOR THE FOMO EVEN IF ITS MINGUS! 661C92CD-879A-48F2-91D9-972B0FC376B2.jpeg

@britprogjazz not sure if this is something you would feel comfortable to answer, but I just wondered how the rights work with this? I often wonder in the BBC get a cut of these kind of releases, or if its in the public domain (im assuming not).
The BBC don't have the tapes, we do. They are out of copyright (50 years) but we wanted to use the BBC logo so we applied for a licence from them (which they charge for and which has several contractual stipulations which have to be met before the licence is granted).

The BBC don't have the tapes, we do. They are out of copyright (50 years) but we wanted to use the BBC logo so we applied for a licence from them (which they charge for and which has several contractual stipulations which have to be met before the licence is granted).
Thanks for replying, I find this kind of stuff really interesting. I always wondered how these kinds of technicalities work, so thanks again for sharing!

Accidentally wandered into my local during RSD yesterday and stumbled upon the new Mingus Ah Um pressing, was very close to grabbing it but couldn’t help but feel I was falling victim to fomo. I had been gifted a Jazz Wax pressing of Ah Um by a friend (she tried lol), and it sounds actually fine to my ears but I remembered that I NEVER spin it so I put it down. Luckily I came across this gem in the bins as well, a sealed ORG pressing limited to 1000! Never listened to it prior to walking out with it but man, this is a really fun and easy to listen to session that is going to undoubtedly get way more spin time in my household! DON’T FALL FOR THE FOMO EVEN IF ITS MINGUS! View attachment 71890
Fantastic album. The way the two horns intertwine is fascinating. At times it almost sounds like a Bach fuge to me.

Anyone have an opinion on the JJ and Kai Stonebone release for RSD? Is it worth it?

I picked a copy of this up at a local store. It sounds great, I'm sure it will get a proper release, but if you see it, I wouldn't hesitate in picking it up.

Yeah I ended up picking that up on Discogs along with the Jimmy Giuffre 3 Graz Live 1961 album. Excited to spin both of them.
How is that Jimmy Giuffre? I picked up the RSD 'Jimmy Giuffre 3&4 - New York Concerts' and its really enjoyable. Im not overly familiar with his music but have read that the New York Concerts is more 'out there' than his usual style. Is the Graz Live 'out there' as well or more in-line with his standard style?

How is that Jimmy Giuffre? I picked up the RSD 'Jimmy Giuffre 3&4 - New York Concerts' and its really enjoyable. Im not overly familiar with his music but have read that the New York Concerts is more 'out there' than his usual style. Is the Graz Live 'out there' as well or more in-line with his standard style?
I’m not familiar with his music either and honestly took a shot in the dark. It’s on its way to me but I’ll post once I get a chance to spin it.

Graz is out there too, featuring an incredible dynamic between Bley/Swallow/Giuffre based off original compositions. But it's less free than 3&4, which was recorded four years later in NYC. Both of are excellent but I prefer this Graz concert because it features arguably one of the most underappreciated jazz musicians of the 1950s-1960s era (then and now) with a great trio in front of an appreciative audience.

I wonder if this AS series will reissue any Oscar Peterson! What would be the albums you guys would hope get the tone poet-esque treatment (outside of Night Train)

I wonder if this AS series will reissue any Oscar Peterson! What would be the albums you guys would hope get the tone poet-esque treatment (outside of Night Train)
The first releases included 'Louis Armstrong and Oscar Peterson – Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson', so there's one already! I imagine they would be open to releasing one of his trio led albums, I love his 'The Trio : Live From Chicago' album.

Although, I personally think his releases as part of the 'Exclusively For My Friends' series are amongst his best (but not on Verve).

Back