Jazz

For the UK people, as I don't think this one is on the UK RSD list. But If anyone is interested in the Dexter Gordon RSD release, Presto Classical/Jazz have the Dexter Gordon Squirrel (vinyl edition) available for pre-order, at a good price with free shipping.

There is a fault on the listing as it indicates a CD format, but it clearly describes the vinyl product and the product number returns the RSD edition if you google it.

edit - not on the UK record store day site, but showing at Rough Trade as only 300 copies available

They also have the Monk Palo Alto release at a reasonable price if anyone is still looking to pick that up.

Last edited:
Anyone pick up the 60th Anniversary pressing of Giant Steps that came out today? Amazon delayed my order, which I'm kinda happy about because I'd like to know how it sounds first. Source details seem to be hard to come by.

Good article here on 60th Giant Steps. I still have my 70's Impulse vinyl and 90's cd/flac. Going to have to add that to the playlist. Naima forever

[Partial cross-post with What's Spinning, with additional info for the jazz crew.]

Mankunku Quartet - Yakhal' Inkomo

This is a great album. I've got the limited/numbered 2017 Jazzman UK pressing, which now seems to be available only on the secondary market. Definitely audiophile quality. There's a label in Canada, We Are Busy Bodies, that has an exclusive license to press 300 copies, and apparently its been remastered by Noah Mintz at Lacquer Channel "from the original 1/4 master tapes." I've ordered a copy from them (kind of a long story) and it'll be interesting to compare the two. But for anyone who might be interested, check it out HERE. I've exchanged a few emails with the guy who runs the label and it sounds like they're doing cool stuff. Also, if you order, be aware that the $6 shipping option is sufficient to ship to the US. I think this record, shipped, was something like $23 US.

MQ.jpg

Just received my copy of the 'Subversion Through Jazz: The birth of British progressive jazz in a Cold War climate' and it looks FANTASTIC! Way bigger than I thought and tons of photos, record label studies, etc. Cant wait to finish my current book so I can dig in.

Huge congrats to @britprogjazz for writing and releasing it, just from the abstract I can tell its going to be fascinating!

IMG_2515.JPG

[Partial cross-post with What's Spinning, with additional info for the jazz crew.]

Mankunku Quartet - Yakhal' Inkomo

This is a great album. I've got the limited/numbered 2017 Jazzman UK pressing, which now seems to be available only on the secondary market. Definitely audiophile quality. There's a label in Canada, We Are Busy Bodies, that has an exclusive license to press 300 copies, and apparently its been remastered by Noah Mintz at Lacquer Channel "from the original 1/4 master tapes." I've ordered a copy from them (kind of a long story) and it'll be interesting to compare the two. But for anyone who might be interested, check it out HERE. I've exchanged a few emails with the guy who runs the label and it sounds like they're doing cool stuff. Also, if you order, be aware that the $6 shipping option is sufficient to ship to the US. I think this record, shipped, was something like $23 US.

View attachment 66952

There is some incredibly good Jazz coming from South Africa, I strongly recommend Matsuli if you don't know them yet. I have Bheki Mseleku's Celebration and Moses Taiwa Molelekwa's Genes and Spirits and both sound really good.

Am I missing something? It seemed to me like most were at or above face value - even on the lower priced items.
Could’ve sold a lot, but I bought several AP pressings and Impex/ORG titles and didn’t pay anything more than $25 a piece on offers:
  • Mingus Dynasty (ORG)
  • The Tenor Scene AP
  • Miles Davis Seven Steps to Heaven AP
  • Blakey’s Hard Bop (Impex)
  • Muddy Waters Folk Singer AP
  • Benny Golson Groovin’ With Golson AP
  • Nina Simone Little Girl Blue AP
  • Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster AP

There’s still a decent amount of stuff for very fair pricing. He sold a few of the hard to find Sam releases (Nathan Davis Live in particular) and has several more up for $35. All TPs and AP single discs at $30 or best offer. Maybe the non-jazz stuff is higher priced but a lot of the Jazz was very fair and below every average discogs price.

Last edited:
Procrastinating and browsed through some jazz titles on Amazon and came up with a few this thread might want (mostly OJC and OOS but can lock in the price):

Kenny Drew: https://www.amazon.com/This-New-Vinyl-Kenny-Drew/dp/B00004ZJHH/

Charlie Rouse: https://www.amazon.com/Takin-Business-Vinyl-Charlie-Rouse/dp/B00004ZJHJ/

Grant Green: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008EUIC/ (listed as Capitol, def Blue Note though, but maybe grey label?)

Kenny Dorham: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000Y6O

Randy Weston https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000Z6D

And this recent one by Jeremy Cunningham is one I've had on my list to buy for awhile now:

I have had a couple of tasty jazz records turn up this morning (the mahogany Makaya McCraven Universal Beings E&F Sides being one of them) but this is perhaps the one I have been most excited for.

The Michael Garrick Septet featuring Joe Harriott - ...At Short Notice (Jazz In Britain, 2020 First Limited Pressing)

It looks to be another fantastic package, with a retro flip-back sleeve and superb matt finish (with a selection of superb session photos on the back). I'm waiting for a work meeting and after that I will definitely be giving this a spin. Part of the live cassette pile I bought the other day had a rare live recording of Joe Harriott, so I will double up with that after this I think. Amazingly there are still 46 copies left on their bandcamp and I definitely recommend getting his before it sells out (it's limited to just 350!). Congrats again to @britprogjazz for a killer package, I cant wait to dig in!

IMG_2659.JPG

I have had a couple of tasty jazz records turn up this morning (the mahogany Makaya McCraven Universal Beings E&F Sides being one of them) but this is perhaps the one I have been most excited for.

The Michael Garrick Septet featuring Joe Harriott - ...At Short Notice (Jazz In Britain, 2020 First Limited Pressing)

It looks to be another fantastic package, with a retro flip-back sleeve and superb matt finish (with a selection of superb session photos on the back). I'm waiting for a work meeting and after that I will definitely be giving this a spin. Part of the live cassette pile I bought the other day had a rare live recording of Joe Harriott, so I will double up with that after this I think. Amazingly there are still 46 copies left on their bandcamp and I definitely recommend getting his before it sells out (it's limited to just 350!). Congrats again to @britprogjazz for a killer package, I cant wait to dig in!

View attachment 67608
Good to hear! Mine's on the way.

View attachment 67608
Did you say rare Joe Harriott tape?!?! Thank you for the positive feedback, it's hugely appreciated!!

Did you say rare Joe Harriott tape?!?! Thank you for the positive feedback, it's hugely appreciated!!
I might be over-exaggerating here (in regards to the Joe Harriott anyway). I bought just over 100 cassette tapes at a car boot last week. The previous owner was a serious taper that recorded a load of live gigs in London during the 70's - 90's. He also recorded tons of jazz radio shows which are mixed in there. I have listened to a handful so far (highlights being Art Pepper, Dexter Gordon, Art Blakey at Ronnie Scotts) but I did see a couple of Joe Harriott's in there (and a Tubby Hayes tribute). Not sure if its a radio show or live recording though (the radio shows always seem to be live recordings though, so still interesting).

Back