Jazz

Does anyone know any of the details on the Heavenly Sweetness label? (quality, pressings, mastering) -- hard to get much from their site, but LiTA seems to be adding them and there is a range of releases. ABOUT
I like Heavenly Sweetness. I have Fuchsia Swing Song and Breaking Point from that series and I think they sound good. LITA has a distribution deal with them but they have all been out of stock for quite some time now. I don't think they are going back in the store. LITA doesn't tend to remove sold out items from their store sadly. I'd love for them to come back in stock though. If you see any and remember, please give me a tag! I really want that Grachan Moncur Some Other Stuff reissue.

Does anyone know any of the details on the Heavenly Sweetness label? (quality, pressings, mastering) -- hard to get much from their site, but LiTA seems to be adding them and there is a range of releases. ABOUT

I remember reading mixed reviews on these reissues. I'll see if I can find these readings and will share it here. I can't confirm as I don't own any, it doesn't say these records are AAA neither.

Here are the information from HS website : 180g vinyl, vinyls cuts directly from the master tapes, original artwork and finely selected for you. Below are the websites were I read all the stuff about HS reissues. Basically it's a hit or miss. Possibly digitally mastered from early tapes but not always the firsts.

Here are the information from HS website : 180g vinyl, vinyls cuts directly from the master tapes, original artwork and finely selected for you. Below are the websites were I read all the stuff about HS reissues. Basically it's a hit or miss. Possibly digitally mastered from early tapes but not always the firsts.

Looks like the Hoffman thread was set up by our very own @btf1980. Any additional info to add buddy?

Damn, that’s a really old thread! Got nothing else to add on the Heavenly Sweetness front. I skipped them.

Interesting thread. Looks like the consensus is, they were from copy tape. So not the greatest sourcing. Doesn't surprise me at all though.

If they still existed at $20, I'd probably grab a few just based on my Black Fire. But I can totally see why you'd skip them!

Man, speaking of solid jazz at $20 a piece, I really hope they do another BN80-style run asap.

Interesting thread. Looks like the consensus is, they were from copy tape. So not the greatest sourcing. Doesn't surprise me at all though.

If they still existed at $20, I'd probably grab a few just based on my Black Fire. But I can totally see why you'd skip them!

Man, speaking of solid jazz at $20 a piece, I really hope they do another BN80-style run asap.
I would not pay the crazy second-hand price on some of them. I paid around $20 and have no complaints. Mastered from copy tape can still sound good and the two albums I have sound solid to my ears.

Has anyone here got The Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall on vinyl? I've just listened to the concert/live recording and am blown away. It might be my favourite jazz concert just from first impressions?

If anyone has Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall, what pressing do you have? I'm looking at getting the 2013 Speakers Corner (Stereo) pressing! It's a bit expensive but if I know it's a great pressing, I'm willing to pay quite a bit for it!

Thanks 😘

Has anyone here got The Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall on vinyl? I've just listened to the concert/live recording and am blown away. It might be my favourite jazz concert just from first impressions?

If anyone has Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall, what pressing do you have? I'm looking at getting the 2013 Speakers Corner (Stereo) pressing! It's a bit expensive but if I know it's a great pressing, I'm willing to pay quite a bit for it!

Thanks 😘
Have you listed to Jazz Goes To College? That’s my favorite live set of his!

Have you listed to Jazz Goes To College? That’s my favorite live set of his!
No, I haven't heard about that one at all! I need to check it out if that's your favourite! I got the Analogue productions pressing of Brubeck's Time Out, which is incredible. That's the only album from Dave Brubeck I've heard. I recently played that album and I said to myself "I've got to check out more this guy's music!". So Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall is the only second Dave Brubeck record I've heard! 🙈

The bar has been set so high with those two recordings, so I can't even imagine how good 'Jazz Goes To College' is going to be if you prefer that more then At Carnegie Hall! 😲😍

PS - I've just pressed play on Jazz Goes to College - 'Balcony Rock' is playing right now! Thanks for the recommendation! 🤗

No, I haven't heard about that one at all! I need to check it out if that's your favourite! I got the Analogue productions pressing of Brubeck's Time Out, which is incredible. That's the only album from Dave Brubeck I've heard. I recently played that album and I said to myself "I've got to check out more this guy's music!". So Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall is the only second Dave Brubeck record I've heard! 🙈

The bar has been set so high with those two recordings, so I can't even imagine how good 'Jazz Goes To College' is going to be if you prefer that more then At Carnegie Hall! 😲😍

PS - I've just pressed play on Jazz Goes to College - 'Balcony Rock' is playing right now! Thanks for the recommendation! 🤗
I’m excited to hear how you enjoyed it. Paul and Dave are in top form on that record and there’s some really memorable fun playing through out!

I’m excited to hear how you enjoyed it. Paul and Dave are in top form on that record and there’s some really memorable fun playing through out!
I'm really enjoying it so far! I'll let you know if it's my favourite Brubeck live recording yet! Brubeck stands out so much on Balcony Rock though, like his piano playing is at the centrepiece on this cut to the max. Love it!

This is so random by the way, but every time I see you, I think straight away "That's the guy who's favourite album is D'angelo's Voodoo and Al' Green's Call Me! 😍" lmao! Because D'angelo Voodoo is one of my favourite albums ever! I was actually just spinning the record earlier today in the morning! And I love Al Green's Call Me so much; it's definitely my favourite album of his. So I whenever I see you, I'm like "I really like this guys' music taste, seems like he could be pretty similar to me"!

I keep in meaning to give this a listen but have not got round to it (I seem to be on zoom all the time these days & don't get time to listen to much), it's on the Impex label so you know it will be a great pressing. It's supposed to be a mythological performance that got lost because the tapes were labelled incorrectly. (I'm just not sure what the Tony Bennet element will sound like :) )

Thanks 😘
I have the Carnagie Hall records (they are split into vols 1 & 2) and its a great live session for sure. I have the original pressings which sound great to me (I haven't heard a modern repress to compare it to, unfortunately).

Brubeck is fantastic and his records tend to be really cheap in comparison to the other big names, but the music is just as good. Just to add to @Ghost's great recommendation I would also suggest you check out 'Jazz At The College Of Pacific' and 'Jazz At Oberlin'. They are both recorded live and the Jazz At Oberlin holds a special historic value as it was the first time that a jazz concert had been held at a college. It also opened a lot of youngsters eyes to Paul Desmond and after this performance his reputation began to bloom. I seem to recall reading that the professor of jazz at the college called the performance a watershed moment that moved jazz from a club setting to a concert hall setting.

Speaker’s Corner does good work. Buy with confidence. Analog Spark did a Jazz Goes to College that’s probably your best bet there.

Speaker’s Corner does good work. Buy with confidence. Analog Spark did a Jazz Goes to College that’s probably your best bet there.
Yeah, all the Speakers Corner reissues I have sound excellent. I was really close to buying the Speakers Corner pressing for Mahavishnu Orchestra's Inner Mountain Flame, but the two reviews on Discogs are both negative. They both said the mastering/pressing sounds bad. And for Mahavishnu Orchestra's other album, the reviews said the Friday Music reissue sounded much better. I love my Chic Friday Music pressings by the way; they sound superb!

Tomorrow, I plan on purchasing the Speakers Corner pressings for Thelonius Monk's It's Monk Time, LaVern Baker's Sings Bessie Smith & Wayne Shorter's Native Dancing! I'll be looking forward to spinning those three albums when I get them; but I'm always going to look now if there's any negative reviews on Discogs on Speakers Corner reissues after what I had read about those Mahavishnu Orchestra reissues!

I have the Carnagie Hall records (they are split into vols 1 & 2) and its a great live session for sure. I have the original pressings which sound great to me (I haven't heard a modern repress to compare it to, unfortunately).

Brubeck is fantastic and his records tend to be really cheap in comparison to the other big names, but the music is just as good. Just to add to @Ghost's great recommendation I would also suggest you check out 'Jazz At The College Of Pacific' and 'Jazz At Oberlin'. They are both recorded live and the Jazz At Oberlin holds a special historic value as it was the first time that a jazz concert had been held at a college. It also opened a lot of youngsters eyes to Paul Desmond and after this performance his reputation began to bloom. I seem to recall reading that the professor of jazz at the college called the performance a watershed moment that moved jazz from a club setting to a concert hall setting.
Yeah, Brubeck is an excellent pianist! Jazz At Oberlin sounds like an iconic album for what it did for jazz! I'm definitely going to check that one out and cannot wait too! Thanks for the recommendation and background info on that one! 🤝😊

I'll probably then look into Jazz At The College Of Pacific afterwards! It would be great if MoFi did One-Step Supervinyl pressings for either of those two live albums! I'd buy it and would be more than happy paying the premium price for them! Especially with how glorious the Bill Evans, Charles Mingus and Thelonius Monk One-Step pressings sound! 🎯

Back