Jazz

I still don't know if these reissues are legit nor what are the sources. Anyway, more MAR reissues are coming, some will have a colored variant for HHV, 2 for their Summer of Jazz campaign (Vitor Assis Brasil has been OOS for a while).

As far as I can tell, they are legit. Generally, any releases that include the corporate logos are legit because while copyright on music expires, trademarks don't and they open themselves up to all manner of lawsuits by including them. That's typically why the Blue Note logos etc are all absent from Dol, Waxtime etc.

As far as I can tell, they are legit. Generally, any releases that include the corporate logos are legit because while copyright on music expires, trademarks don't and they open themselves up to all manner of lawsuits by including them. That's typically why the Blue Note logos etc are all absent from Dol, Waxtime etc.

Never taught about this. Thanks for the information.

Not sure if you can watch this video unless you already have facebook, but Gordon Anderson and Zev Feldman (Resonance Records) have put up a video of the upcoming Black Jazz Records reissue series (the one VMP are releasing exclusives from). Looks like the first 4 are from:

Doug Carn - Spirit Of The New Land
The Awakeing - Hear, Sense & Feel
Walter Bishop JR - Coral Keys
PLUS
Gene Russell - New Direction (RSD Release)

Looks like its going to be a fantastic series, the fact that Zev is involved has given me some security that they will make sure its top quality.

Not sure if you can watch this video unless you already have facebook, but Gordon Anderson and Zev Feldman (Resonance Records) have put up a video of the upcoming Black Jazz Records reissue series (the one VMP are releasing exclusives from). Looks like the first 4 are from:

Doug Carn - Spirit Of The New Land
The Awakeing - Hear, Sense & Feel
Walter Bishop JR - Coral Keys
PLUS
Gene Russell - New Direction (RSD Release)

Looks like its going to be a fantastic series, the fact that Zev is involved has given me some security that they will make sure its top quality.

I wonder if they will do a black vinyl version of the Gene Russel release. August & Sepetember is going to be expensive.

I wonder if they will do a black vinyl version of the Gene Russel release. August & Sepetember is going to be expensive.
On the RSD list it has a 'format' section showing how many lp's and colour variations. With the Gene Russell it just states 'LP' so it might just be standard black. It doesn't show how limited it will be though, I'm hoping to get a copy over here in the UK. Like you said.....going to be an expensive couple of months. I managed to pick up the RSD Jack Wilson Quartet featuring Roy Ayers the other day, looks like that was an 'Indie Exclusive' released on the 5th June.

On the RSD list it has a 'format' section showing how many lp's and colour variations. With the Gene Russell it just states 'LP' so it might just be standard black. It doesn't show how limited it will be though, I'm hoping to get a copy over here in the UK. Like you said.....going to be an expensive couple of months. I managed to pick up the RSD Jack Wilson Quartet featuring Roy Ayers the other day, looks like that was an 'Indie Exclusive' released on the 5th June.

Rough Trade (America) have the Gene Russell RSD as limited to 1500. Hopefully we'll be able to get some copies here.

What's the Jack Wilson like? I didn't realise any of the RSD titles had been issued yet.

Edit - that's Rough Trade UK, must have had too many glasses of wine :)

Rough Trade (America) have the Gene Russell RSD as limited to 1500. Hopefully we'll be able to get some copies here.

What's the Jack Wilson like? I didn't realise any of the RSD titles had been issued yet.

Oh damn, that's way lower numbers than I was hoping for. Going to be tricky to get a copy of that I think, might have to line a few websites up for a potential order on the day.

I forget who mentioned it the other week, but I got the Newbury pressing of Waltz for Debby in today. I gave it a spin and it sounds pretty good actually. It has the same runout as this version: https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Trio-Waltz-For-Debby/release/5347390

So it's probably he same master as the 2009 OJC. No clue what the source is, but I gotta guess it's probably digital. I know the original 80s OJCs were mostly AAA afaik, but I have no clue what the sourcing is on these newer OJC releases. I wish they'd be a little bit clearer about that stuff, but I know it's a minor complaint, at least they're affordable and available, right? Anyway, if anyone knows any info on OJC mastering and such, let me know because I'm super curious. I know I'll have to go down a Hoffman rabbit hole at some point to try and find out more.

I forget who mentioned it the other week, but I got the Newbury pressing of Waltz for Debby in today. I gave it a spin and it sounds pretty good actually. It has the same runout as this version: Bill Evans Trio* - Waltz For Debby

So it's probably he same master as the 2009 OJC. No clue what the source is, but I gotta guess it's probably digital. I know the original 80s OJCs were mostly AAA afaik, but I have no clue what the sourcing is on these newer OJC releases. I wish they'd be a little bit clearer about that stuff, but I know it's a minor complaint, at least they're affordable and available, right? Anyway, if anyone knows any info on OJC mastering and such, let me know because I'm super curious. I know I'll have to go down a Hoffman rabbit hole at some point to try and find out more.

The short answer is I don't know, but I did get a modern OJC version a while back and it sounded fantastic. I need to pull it out again for a listen, I've no reason to believe that it would be digital.

look at the comments on this release, probably has the same run out as yours Bill Evans Trio* - Waltz For Debby

I have rated most of the OJC pressings that I've picked up. The OJC Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness is basically the same press as the Analogue Productions one, and from memory their Saxophone Colossus is a Kevin Gray cut.

Realised I didn't answer your question. It arrived a couple of days ago and I haven't spun it yet. I did open it up to check it was all ok though and it looks great. There's a booklet with session photos and advertisements from the time of their performance, along with some liner notes. Its an interesting series of sessions as they were essentially a warm-up act for a comedian.

I did see an Instagram user post it a couple of days ago and he tends to be pretty strict when it comes to sound quality etc and he rated it well so thats always a good sign too.

RSD website says "Transparent clear with heavy black swirl vinyl limited to 1500 copies worldwide. Pressed at Gotta Groove Records for Record Store Day" and "RSD first release" so I think a standard black vinyl will come after. I pre-ordered this colored variant just in case but I plan to purchase all the serieon black vinyl.

RSD website says "Transparent clear with heavy black swirl vinyl limited to 1500 copies worldwide. Pressed at Gotta Groove Records for Record Store Day" and "RSD first release" so I think a standard black vinyl will come after. I pre-ordered this colored variant just in case but I plan to purchase all the serieon black vinyl.
Ah perfect, thanks for that! Out of interest, where have you been able to pre-order RSD titles? I was hoping to do a similar thing but cant find anywhere in the UK that allows it.

Ah perfect, thanks for that! Out of interest, where have you been able to pre-order RSD titles? I was hoping to do a similar thing but cant find anywhere in the UK that allows it.

Balades Sonores and Ground Zero, both in Paris, have most of the RSD releases on pre-order.

As a heads up to you UK folk, looks like Sounds Of The Universe are beginning to stock some bits from Sam Records. The also have the Horace Tapscott Live at LACMA, 1998 Pallas Germany from Dark Tree as well if that tempts anyone (@Mr Moore).

Nathan Davis Sextet – Peace Treaty | Sounds of the Universe
Horace Tapscott with the Pan Afrikan Peoples and the Great Voice of Ugmaa – Why Don

Both are also available at jazzmessengers.com, which is in Barcelona and ships to the US for a very reasonable shipping cost.

New Nat Birchall out. Sample track sounds excellent.

Nice, thanks for this. I've been wanting to pick up the Steeplechase set from Jazzman as well but wanted to wait until there was something else as well so I could make use of the combined postage.

Beat me by “that” much!!

Nice, thanks for this. I've been wanting to pick up the Steeplechase set from Jazzman as well but wanted to wait until there was something else as well so I could make use of the combined postage.

Yep, probably good for my wallet but SotU, Honest Jons and Jazzman all have odd bits on that I'd like but I'm waiting to see if I can get them all from one place to save on shipping!

Back