Jazz

So I ended with two Alabaster DePlume records: The Jester with Daniel Inzani and Copernicus. Unfortunately The Corner of a Sphere is OOS for now.

So I am looking for some opinions on what to order from the acoustic sounds sale. I’m looking to pick 2 from the following. Any thoughts, positive or negative?
Helen Merill AP
Bill Evans live at Montreux jazz fest AP
Ahmad Jamal trio at the Pershing AP
Muddy Waters Folk Singer AP

So I am looking for some opinions on what to order from the acoustic sounds sale. I’m looking to pick 2 from the following. Any thoughts, positive or negative?
Helen Merill AP
I don’t have the AP (I have Speaker’s Corner pressing) but Bill Evans at Montreux is a solid album! Don’t have any of the others. I believe Helen and Ahmad just came out recently.

Helen Merill AP
I have the Muddy Waters and I love it

Helen Merill AP
I have the first two and can recommend both. I really love the Helen Merrill S/T— it’s a classic. Been giving it a lot of repeat listens. There are other Bill Evans albums I’d pick up first before Montreux if you don’t have much of his catalog but it’s still top tier.

@Edd you should invite Sam Record's boss to come here and discuss with our Jazz addicts :)
I'll give him a word about it, but the guy is really busy.

edit : Something great, and huge, is coming up about this release and Jef Gilson. But you'll have to wait until december to know more.

Last edited:
I'll give him a word about it, but the guy is really busy.
He will be with the amount of orders I have been putting in :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, that new pre-order looks amazing. I've sampled the samples a few times now and it's far removed from the somewhat dated sound I associate with big bands.

As a heads up to you UK folk, looks like Sounds Of The Universe are beginning to stock some bits from Sam Records. The also have the Horace Tapscott Live at LACMA, 1998 Pallas Germany from Dark Tree as well if that tempts anyone (@Mr Moore).

Nathan Davis Sextet – Peace Treaty | Sounds of the Universe
Horace Tapscott with the Pan Afrikan Peoples and the Great Voice of Ugmaa – Why Don

Thanks, I buckled and ordered the Tapscott from Honest Jons last week, they're just waiting for it to arrive in stock.

Back