Jazz

I've been looking to buy a jazz poster to go up on the wall above my record player and realised that a few of you guys might have already done something similar? Anyone care to share some photos/links? Cheers

I've been looking to buy a jazz poster to go up on the wall above my record player and realised that a few of you guys might have already done something similar? Anyone care to share some photos/links? Cheers

I don't have posters but there are some really nice works on Displate

I'm just a big Miles nerd. I have all of his appearances on vinyl that were released in his lifetime. Kind of Blue is still one of the top records for me in terms of the lineup, its musical significance, and just the overall vibe. The collection started with the MoFi edition, then an OG mono, then I found a good deal on a "first pressing" stereo that turned out to be a CBS overprint (which sounds great, btw), so I sought out a real first pressing 6-eye. At that point I joked with a friend that I wanted to do a March Madness elimination pressing tournament with a 64 copy bracket of different KoB pressings. After that, when I saw something interesting that I didn't already have, I grabbed it. Now I think I have every mono and stereo US version through the end of the 1970s, and all of the Japanese versions, as well. I have a handful of Canadian and European pressings, to round out the collection. I just re-counted: 46 copies.
What percent of your collection is Miles Davis-related?

Do you have even more versions of KOB on other media or is vinyl it?

You should consider finding an artist and commissioning something from them. It's something I've just started getting into. I got the first of what will likely be multiple Art Blakey-related commissions recently.
20200701_125352.jpg

Also, I've been trying to find concert posters from jazz artists playing my city, which has not been fruitful yet.

What percent of your collection is Miles Davis-related?

Do you have even more versions of KOB on other media or is vinyl it?

Maybe 20% is Miles-related. It probably won't surprise anyone that I have other dumb completionist leanings (e.g. everything Vulfpeck and Vulf-adjacent). No other media for KoB. I'd pick up a reel-to-reel if I ever encountered one at a good price but the only ones I have seen have been very expensive. I actually had the minidisc in the late 90s but gave it away!

Does anyone know how often AP represses backordered titles? There are a few in their Prestige stereo line (the Dolphy stuff in particular) that I really want, but the secondary market is kind of expensive. Worth putting in a backorder purchase in for them and crossing my fingers, or do I need to bite the bullet and shell out the cash?

or should I just buy the entire stereo subscription? It's only $875 for 25 LPs (shipping is free).

You should consider finding an artist and commissioning something from them. It's something I've just started getting into. I got the first of what will likely be multiple Art Blakey-related commissions recently.
View attachment 54661

Also, I've been trying to find concert posters from jazz artists playing my city, which has not been fruitful yet.
I love this! I have been looking for a similar thing, a concert poster from a london gig, preferably an old one (reproduction is fine). The neutral colours of yours is the kind of thing I am after as well, something that isnt too in your face. I was considering this poster (which I think is amazing) from a gig I went to a couple of years ago, Archie Shepp Live At The Barbican. Its a fantastic poster but would be too in your face for the location I want to put it.

Archie-Shepp-web_866.jpg

Does anyone know how often AP represses backordered titles? There are a few in their Prestige stereo line (the Dolphy stuff in particular) that I really want, but the secondary market is kind of expensive. Worth putting in a backorder purchase in for them and crossing my fingers, or do I need to bite the bullet and shell out the cash?

or should I just buy the entire stereo subscription? It's only $875 for 25 LPs (shipping is free).
I bought the stereo sub -- it's pretty great and I've never regretted it.

I love this! I have been looking for a similar thing, a concert poster from a london gig, preferably an old one (reproduction is fine). The neutral colours of yours is the kind of thing I am after as well, something that isnt too in your face. I was considering this poster (which I think is amazing) from a gig I went to a couple of years ago, Archie Shepp Live At The Barbican. Its a fantastic poster but would be too in your face for the location I want to put it.

View attachment 54670
Lots of fantastic artists are on instagram and take commissions for very reasonable prices. The best thing about this is you can have as much input into the art direction as you want.

I've found some sellers on ebay who do prints of concert posters that have some back-in-the-day stuff, but none that really catch my eye. I am considering doing some concert poster commissions, though.

Lots of fantastic artists are on instagram and take commissions for very reasonable prices. The best thing about this is you can have as much input into the art direction as you want.

I've found some sellers on ebay who do prints of concert posters that have some back-in-the-day stuff, but none that really catch my eye. I am considering doing some concert poster commissions, though.
Art Blakey - Live at Nighttown?

I know the Analogue Productions 45rpm vinyl has a great rep, but wondering if anyone can speak to Mobley’s Workout. Up to par with the rest of ‘em?

Another one from Ill Considered and its a big one at 3lps. Limited to 300 with no represses so definitely going to sell out IMO. Also worth noting that they have swapped to a more reliable manufacturer.

Just a warning for my non-UK folk, theres a clause saying all multiple orders will be cancelled, strictly one per account.

Another one from Ill Considered and its a big one at 3lps. Limited to 300 with no represses so definitely going to sell out IMO. Also worth noting that they have swapped to a more reliable manufacturer.

Just a warning for my non-UK folk, theres a clause saying all multiple orders will be cancelled, strictly one per account.

They've added Tamar Osborne. I was just listening to him on Sarathy Korwar's My East is your West. Should be a fun album! I don't want to get burned spending for shipping via bandcamp and then see that they post this at the locals here in Germany like the previous releases. Hope they're true to their word about no repress then.

They've added Tamar Osborne. I was just listening to him on Sarathy Korwar's My East is your West. Should be a fun album! I don't want to get burned spending for shipping via bandcamp and then see that they post this at the locals here in Germany like the previous releases. Hope they're true to their word about no repress then.
Is the Tamar Osborne just a download? At least we wont get stung with shipping on that one.

On first listen a few weeks ago, I thought this might be the one finally that I don't get of theirs. I need to listen to it again but it was a bit too far out for me from memory. If it sells out before then, so be it...

On first listen a few weeks ago, I thought this might be the one finally that I don't get of theirs. I need to listen to it again but it was a bit too far out for me from memory. If it sells out before then, so be it...
I honestly think they might have burned themselves out a bit last year. I still enjoyed their releases but with all the recording of all their albums as Ill Considered, Wildflower, MADMADMAD, plus the live shows, creating the labels and jackets for the albums PLUS shipping everything themselves I think it might have been too much. I seem to remember a status by Leon basically stating as much and that they were going to focus on the music for a bit. From the first listen I actually think its one of their best in a while (their early live recordings seem to be the ones that impress me the most).

Back