Jazz

Donald Byrd – Byrd Jazz – Transition TRLP5 - 1956 - Online sale only1100,00€
Nathan Davis Sextet - Peace Treaty - SFP 10.003 - 1965128,00€
Art Blakey & The New Jazzmen - Live in Paris '65128,00€
Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud - OST - Fontana - 1958124,00€
Donald Byrd - Byrd in Paris, Vol 1 - Brunswick - 1958 - 2nd Pressing

Man, i was gonna order that Byrd Jazz earlier this month but then it said Out Of Stock. I contacted Fred through the contact form if it was completely sold out or if he's expecting another batch but no reply. Might ask him again to make sure.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to get a great copy of Coltrane's Crescent -- that isn't $150-200?
I never see it for that much unless it’s the ORG pressing. There are some RVG copies on eBay for around $40-60 listed as VG+

I seriously just came here to ask this question. It looks really interesting, but REALLY expensive-- $50 for most releases. And I don't think most of them are AAA, since more than a few of those are 90s and later releases. Still, looks really interesting.
I have both the Scofield (Go-Go) and Shorter albums from the series. Packaging is very good, sound is very good -- not sure if they are worth 50. I got the Shorter (alegria) on a heavy discount. I do believe that they are cut from digital.

Sidenote:.Just put the Scofield on and the sound is good -- though the record has always felt a little bright/tight to me that is also what I remember from the CD and may have been the intent.

I never see it for that much unless it’s the ORG pressing. There are some RVG copies on eBay for around $40-60 listed as VG+

Thanks! For some reason I think I have only bought a total of two records off eBay...

Thanks! For some reason I think I have only bought a total of two records off eBay...
eBay has the best “deals” but I tend to trust the grading on discogs a bit more. You can find really good stuff on eBay for really cheap sometimes if you know where to look and how to search. Takes some digging!

Man, i was gonna order that Byrd Jazz earlier this month but then it said Out Of Stock. I contacted Fred through the contact form if it was completely sold out or if he's expecting another batch but no reply. Might ask him again to make sure.
Not sure if this helps, but in the US, Acoustic Sounds stocks all but his new very limited release, list is $39 and they are subject to the 10Percent or 15Percent discount codes when this are active.next 15Percent I think is usually 4th of July. Last I looked both Bird in Paris pressings are available.

Not sure if this helps, but in the US, Acoustic Sounds stocks all but his new very limited release, list is $39 and they are subject to the 10Percent or 15Percent discount codes when this are active.next 15Percent I think is usually 4th of July. Last I looked both Bird in Paris pressings are available.
I think the new limited release is the one @The Denmarkian Wonder was looking for sadly. You bought that one right?

I have both the Scofield (Go-Go) and Shorter albums from the series. Packaging is very good, sound is very good -- not sure if they are worth 50. I got the Shorter (alegria) on a heavy discount. I do believe that they are cut from digital.

Sidenote:.Just put the Scofield on and the sound is good -- though the record has always felt a little bright/tight to me that is also what I remember from the CD and may have been the intent.
And because apparently I can't leave well enough alone, I put on the Shorter record as a comparison. It's a later recording and he's very upfront in the mix. The sounds is very clear, with good separation, but it still does feel bright to me.

Again -- really good records, I'm not unhappy I own them, good covers thought not heavyweight, great record sleeves if you care about that at all -- and they feel a little tight/bright to me. Shorter less than Scofield but both are tight.

Caveat:. I think a lot recorded during this period has some similar characteristics, my rig isn't great (though probably skews toward warm) with a debut Carbon, grado3, musical surroundings Nova 3, horrible pioneer SC-57 amp, O/96 speakers, and really, what the heck do I know :)

I think the new limited release is the one @The Denmarkian Wonder was looking for sadly. You bought that one right?

Sorry, I got confused on the Byrd in Paris LP's, not the transition https://www.samrecords.fr/shop/dona...ing_wp_cron=1592572499.1122570037841796875000 -- which I chickened out on at the shipping cost. I have some regret....it is probably something I would have enjoyed owning more than the Mingus one touch I now have coming and supporting that work is closer to the art aspect of collecting. I end up struggling on calls like that when I think -- hey, I could get four AP pressings...

Sorry, I got confused on the Byrd in Paris LP's, not the transition Donald Byrd – Byrd Jazz – Transition TRLP5 – 1956 – Online sale only – samrecords -- which I chickened out on at the shipping cost. I have some regret....it is probably something I would have enjoyed owning more than the Mingus one touch I now have coming and supporting that work is closer to the art aspect of collecting. I end up struggling on calls like that when I think -- hey, I could get four AP pressings...
I'm in the same boat as you...I REALLY wanted to grab this one but struggled with the cost. Then, a few weeks later, I turned around and got the Monk One Step from Target for $90 hah. Probably should have gone for Byrd Jazz instead and supported Sam Records but I'd like to think that I have promoted them a ton and a lot of people have ended up ordering from Sam after I introduce them to the label haha.

I'm in the same boat as you...I REALLY wanted to grab this one but struggled with the cost. Then, a few weeks later, I turned around and got the Monk One Step from Target for $90 hah. Probably should have gone for Byrd Jazz instead and supported Sam Records but I'd like to think that I have promoted them a ton and a lot of people have ended up ordering from Sam after I introduce them to the label haha.
You definitely resulted in my buying 6...

Yeah, it was for the limited release. But thanks for the heads up on the upcoming coupon code 😬

Newly found Monk live recording: A Previously Unreleased Thelonious Monk Concert Is Coming Next Month

Vinyl and other goodies: Unheard 'Palo Alto' High School Concert By Thelonius Monk For Release

How did Impulse get the chance to release this by the way? Looks like more Monk is on the way too from Impulse working with the estate.

Students I just want to remind you to buy your tickets for the prom before Thursday in the cafeteria. Remember Thelonious Monk will be performing.

VMP version

Yea--it's pretty pricey though and at 1500 copies...$10 over amazon's price right now. And about $5 more than the one through Monk's site. I think this one is going to be widely available.

Back