Jazz

Speaking of Sam's records. I have almost pulled the trigger twice now on a few releases. Think I might do it tonight. I just checked to see if they were still in my basket and theres a new release from when I last checked, Horace Tapscott!

Horace Tapscott with the Pan Afrikan Peoples and the Great Voice of Ugmaa – Why Don’t You Listen? Live at LACMA, 1998 – Dark Tree Records – samrecords

Yeah, I saw this on the Dark Tree website a few weeks ago. I wish I'd noticed Sam selling it, I'd have added it to my order.

Yeah, I've treated myself because I've saved so much money during lockdown not going to the boozer every night. Hoping to keep up that change in lifestyle once we're back to normal too!
Let us know how it is! I ended up getting the Monk's Dream One Step to treat myself since it was part of a buy 2 get 1 free sale. But that Byrd might be at the top of my high priced wantlist next...

EDIT: welp...nevermind. Looks to be out of stock now. Good thing you messaged him haha

Out of interest, is there free shipping if you spend over a certain amount? I have a load of stuff in my cart but cant see if this is the case, and if it is it might be worth me adding something else if it cuts out the 26Euro postage

Out of interest, is there free shipping if you spend over a certain amount? I have a load of stuff in my cart but cant see if this is the case, and if it is it might be worth me adding something else if it cuts out the 26Euro postage

Not sure, but I had €26 shipping too.

Thanks both. Not to worry, I just had an email response. At least he was honest, lol, he had just forgotten to mail my package, no worries, we're only human. Cheers.
Ha ha ha! Not a surprise at all. One thing is sure : the package will be strong as hell!

(very jealous about the byrd jazz)

Ok perfect, cheers. Very tempted to pull the trigger, I have heard really good things about them.
Can confirm--they are one of my favorite jazz reissue labels. I have 2 of the Chet Baker Quartet albums, Afternoon in Paris by John Lewis and Sacha Distel, Nathan Davis ORTF, and the Monk Les Liaisons box set and all are awesome with great attention to detail and awesome sound quality. Acoustic Sounds carries most of their stuff now but prior to that it was pretty tricky to get them in the states.

Decided im putting an order in. Im going to get a copy of the Horace Tapscott, I can add another if you want then post it to you when it arrives?

Too kind but I'm gonna hold off, thank you. I've spent a shitload this month and need to curb it in a while. I've got a lovely bunch on order from a seller in Japan too but I have a feeling I'm going to get a hefty customs charge for these so I'm being at least a bit (tiny bit) selective at the moment. Thanks again though, I really appreciate it.

Too kind but I'm gonna hold off, thank you. I've spent a shitload this month and need to curb it in a while. I've got a lovely bunch on order from a seller in Japan too but I have a feeling I'm going to get a hefty customs charge for these so I'm being at least a bit (tiny bit) selective at the moment. Thanks again though, I really appreciate it.

You should give a look at Ella Records if you want to order stuff from Japan. They are on Discogs but the most interesting is on Ebay. They put $1 to start the auction and I made some nice deals on J-Jazz records (they have tons of Jazz records including King BN reissues). Their shipping costs are fair considering they use DHL express and they declare $5 per record (at least that is what they did with my two orders) so I didn't had to pay any extra frees.

You should give a look at Ella Records if you want to order stuff from Japan. They are on Discogs but the most interesting is on Ebay. They put $1 to start the auction and I made some nice deals on J-Jazz records (they have tons of Jazz records including King BN reissues). Their shipping costs are fair considering they use DHL express and they declare $5 per record (at least that is what they did with my two orders) so I didn't had to pay any extra frees.
Yea--Ella is great. I just don't order from them much from the US unless I'm winning at least 4 records because the shipping costs to US make it so that ordering any less and I can likely find those albums in the US for the same price or less. I need to look more at Face records too because they have a shop in NYC and I believe I can have them send things to their NYC shop and not pay shipping...but not 100% sure.

Yea--Ella is great. I just don't order from them much from the US unless I'm winning at least 4 records because the shipping costs to US make it so that ordering any less and I can likely find those albums in the US for the same price or less. I need to look more at Face records too because they have a shop in NYC and I believe I can have them send things to their NYC shop and not pay shipping...but not 100% sure.

Yup! I ended buying a couple of records more to "save on shipping" but there are definitely great deals there.

Does anyone have any experience buying the Verve Play 33 1/3 RPM titles issued in South Korea over the last few years? They have some great titles and I may pick up the latest Charlie Haden with Joe Henderson and Al Foster live album.

@Ghost were you the one excited about the New AAA reissues that are coming out soon of Louis Armstrong, Getz/Gilberto, etc? As a heads up they are all part of the target buy 2 get one free sale. They work out to $18 each.
Yes that was me! I didn’t realize, I already placed an order at Target for some TPs but it seems like it’s a no brainer if I plan on scooping them up soon! Thanks for letting me know

Does anyone have any experience buying the Verve Play 33 1/3 RPM titles issued in South Korea over the last few years? They have some great titles and I may pick up the latest Charlie Haden with Joe Henderson and Al Foster live album.

I seriously just came here to ask this question. It looks really interesting, but REALLY expensive-- $50 for most releases. And I don't think most of them are AAA, since more than a few of those are 90s and later releases. Still, looks really interesting.

Real Gone put some test pressings up:

Horace Tapscott Giant is Awakened:

Whole list is here:

They have some Lonnie Liston Smith too and other jazz titles.

Back