Jazz

$35 so same price range as Tone Poets

EDIT

As usual, a bit more for us Europeans :

AAA Louis Armstrong HALLELUJAH

Just saw this, I cant wait for an affordable A Love Supreme thats AAA!!! This is gonna be great. Side note - not sure how they can improve on the AP Getz Gilberto but ill probably get that too.

I'm not entirely sure how they can be doing an AAA A Love Supreme though? Supposedly only the 1st press is from original master tapes. I was also under the impression that everything past that was copies of tapes and that a lot got lost in that fire?

Just saw this, I cant wait for an affordable A Love Supreme thats AAA!!! This is gonna be great. Side note - not sure how they can improve on the AP Getz Gilberto but ill probably get that too.

@stpaulbrowns here is more work for you :)

Amazon.ca has L/O and G/G for about $40 CDN. A bit more than the Tone Poets in pre-order, but I would expect them to come down in price before the release date like the TPs do. Will grab Louis and Oscar to see how they are.

The Classics Record pressing of Satchmo plays King Oliver is one of the best sounding records I own. Hope this series comes out good!
Been really wanting to pick that one up. A bit too expensive from sellers currently though! One of my dream albums to own! I wonder if these will be limited, should I buy this rn or can I wait 😬

Been really wanting to pick that one up. A bit too expensive from sellers currently though! One of my dream albums to own! I wonder if these will be limited, should I buy this rn or can I wait 😬
Funny enough, my mom bought that record for me when I first started collecting records about 15 years ago because I always loved Louis Armstrong. I somehow had gotten a hold of the Acoustic Sounds catalogue back then and asked for a record for christmas and she had gone through it and picked that one out for me. Thanks mom! ❤ lol

90479b6a-aabe-409b-ac43-443e7b6c0fec.png
Black Unity Trio - Update #1
Thank you for signing up for the waiting list / email list for our vinyl reissue of Black Unity Trio - Al Fatihah. We are really excited to be working with the musicians to make this an extremely special release.

We wanted to send this quick note to let you know the official street date is Friday, November 27, 2020. We will send you an update as soon as the pre-order is live.

Also, tomorrow (June 12, 2020), we will be streaming LIVE on Instagram playback of the 1968 master tapes during the safety session! Join us at @gottagrooverecs on Instagram at approx 1pm Eastern!

(Note: since it is the safety session, the playback will likely be periodically interrupted, and may not necessarily be the entire album -- but we thought it would still be a fun way to show you some behind-the-scenes work in the reissue of the album).

Thanks again for your interest in this album, and drop us a line any time!

-- Gotta Groove Records

I'm not entirely sure how they can be doing an AAA A Love Supreme though? Supposedly only the 1st press is from original master tapes. I was also under the impression that everything past that was copies of tapes and that a lot got lost in that fire?
Copy tape is still AAA. But, they did say original tapes, so your skepticism is warranted. Anyone know the source for the AP one? I don't care what it comes from as long as it sounds great and is a reasonable price.

I'm excited about those Nina Simones, especially Pastel blues.

Copy tape is still AAA. But, they did say original tapes, so your skepticism is warranted. Anyone know the source for the AP one? I don't care what it comes from as long as it sounds great and is a reasonable price.

I'm excited about those Nina Simones, especially Pastel blues.
Yea that's why I was a bit confused by it...it says they are ALL from the original tapes which doesn't really sound true...but still excited for this series. The Ninas are must haves for me too. I have some pretty beat copies of them.

Yea that's why I was a bit confused by it...it says they are ALL from the original tapes which doesn't really sound true...but still excited for this series. The Ninas are must haves for me too. I have some pretty beat copies of them.
Have you heard anything other than great things about the AP one? Don't think I have. I'm hoping it is similar to it, not sure why the source would be different.

Here's what Steve Hoffman claimed a long time ago. He asserts that nothing is from the "original" master.

Screenshot_20200611-212011.png

They can do Love Supreme as they will pretty much for sure use the previous AP mastering done from second gen sources. The 'new' Getz\ Gilberto IS the previous mastering now reissued at 33. Marino mastered it and he has been dead for several years.

They can do Love Supreme as they will pretty much for sure use the previous AP mastering done from second gen sources. The 'new' Getz\ Gilberto IS the previous mastering now reissued at 33. Marino mastered it and he has been dead for several years.
Interesting...I wonder if I need more pressings of ALS haha. Or Getz/Gilberto too I suppose.

Just catching up here. Thanks @johnpisme and @MikeH for the Rollins article, really interesting!

So, Verve is going to be releasing a new series like the Tone Poets? Very cool!! I'm not really one to aim for reissues of records that I already have, but it sounds like the Love Supreme might actually be very noticeably different from the early releases? I have This pressing from 1968 which I think sounds superb, enough for me to not actively have looked for an upgrade, but if this new reissue is reasonable then I might go for it as well!

Back