Jazz

Just catching up here. Thanks @johnpisme and @MikeH for the Rollins article, really interesting!

So, Verve is going to be releasing a new series like the Tone Poets? Very cool!! I'm not really one to aim for reissues of records that I already have, but it sounds like the Love Supreme might actually be very noticeably different from the early releases? I have This pressing from 1968 which I think sounds superb, enough for me to not actively have looked for an upgrade, but if this new reissue is reasonable then I might go for it as well!
Yes--so Universal seems to be releasing a TP-esque series and they own Impulse! and Verve and probably more jazz labels. Pricing seems in line with the Tone Poets even in the UK/Europe I think... As I mentioned earlier, I'm VERY curious to see how ALS sounds as I had seen the same thing @dhodo saw on hoffman that none of the pressings are from original master. It seems weird to me that they suddenly would have the original masters. I also wish they chose better/more interesting albums for this first batch and I think they went a little "Safe" with the choices for the most part. There is so much stuff on Impulse in particular that I hope they really open the vaults up. The TP and BN80 series has been awesome because it's mostly deeper cuts of albums that are harder to find in good shape.

I have 3 copies of ALS:

They are all in varying states of condition. None are spotless but the mono is surprisingly in good shape and I found it for $2. The sleeve is really beat up though. I might pick up the reissue of Ballads since I only have a MCA pressing of it and wait to hear how the ALS reissue is.

Yes--so Universal seems to be releasing a TP-esque series and they own Impulse! and Verve and probably more jazz labels. Pricing seems in line with the Tone Poets even in the UK/Europe I think... As I mentioned earlier, I'm VERY curious to see how ALS sounds as I had seen the same thing @dhodo saw on hoffman that none of the pressings are from original master. It seems weird to me that they suddenly would have the original masters. I also wish they chose better/more interesting albums for this first batch and I think they went a little "Safe" with the choices for the most part. There is so much stuff on Impulse in particular that I hope they really open the vaults up. The TP and BN80 series has been awesome because it's mostly deeper cuts of albums that are harder to find in good shape.

I have 3 copies of ALS:

They are all in varying states of condition. None are spotless but the mono is surprisingly in good shape and I found it for $2. The sleeve is really beat up though. I might pick up the reissue of Ballads since I only have a MCA pressing of it and wait to hear how the ALS reissue is.
I have a stereo Van Gelder stamped issue from the late 60’s. Best I’ve heard but it does contain the hum that can be heard. I’ve also had other late 60’s and early 70’s reissues that sound pretty great too.
Is there a reason they wouldn’t just use whatever they used to cut the AP issue and press it at 33 rpm instead of 45?

I have a stereo Van Gelder stamped issue from the late 60’s. Best I’ve heard but it does contain the hum that can be heard. I’ve also had other late 60’s and early 70’s reissues that sound pretty great too.
Is there a reason they wouldn’t just use whatever they used to cut the AP issue and press it at 33 rpm instead of 45?
They probably will do that, but the whole "pressed from original master tapes" thing has been throwing me off. I'm sure it will still sound great though especially if AS is involved. Do we know if KG is working on this? All I have seen is that Chad Kassem is supervising.

They probably will do that, but the whole "pressed from original master tapes" thing has been throwing me off. I'm sure it will still sound great though especially if AS is involved. Do we know if KG is working on this? All I have seen is that Chad Kassem is supervising.
Same. If these are supposed to be the same as Tone Poet quality, then I expect AAA when possible. I know that might not be possible for a lot of titles they want to do, but it sounds like these won’t be AAA from that wording.

I also think that is likely and since I had my sights on the AP, but have put it off due to price, I'm really hoping it ends up being the case.

Same. If these are supposed to be the same as Tone Poet quality, then I expect AAA when possible. I know that might not be possible for a lot of titles they want to do, but it sounds like these won’t be AAA from that wording.
"Utilizing the skills of the top mastering engineers and the unsurpassed production craft of Quality Record Pressings, all titles will be mastered from the original analog tapes, pressed on 180-gram vinyl and packaged by Stoughton Printing Co. in high-quality tip-on gatefold jackets. The releases will be supervised by Chad Kassem, CEO of Acoustic Sounds, the world’s largest source for audiophile recordings."

Still unsure if these will be AAA or not...I'm leaning toward them saying it IS AAA but I'm always skeptical.

I've avoided the AP because its 45RPM and while I know it has great reviews A) it's a crazy price now and B) I don't like the idea of an 18 minute song on one side of a 45RPM...

I mean, it also says all-analog. Usually companies don't say that unless the mean it. Original master tapes on the other hand...pretty much every company has at least sorta fibbed on that one. I'm guess it is either the "original master" like Hoffman was talking about or a copy tape of it.

I mean, it also says all-analog. Usually companies don't say that unless the mean it. Original master tapes on the other hand...pretty much every company has at least sorta fibbed on that one. I'm guess it is either the "original master" like Hoffman was talking about or a copy tape of it.
Posted the press release above. They do say "mastered from the original analog tapes" which is the sketchy terminology haha.

"Utilizing the skills of the top mastering engineers and the unsurpassed production craft of Quality Record Pressings, all titles will be mastered from the original analog tapes, pressed on 180-gram vinyl and packaged by Stoughton Printing Co. in high-quality tip-on gatefold jackets. The releases will be supervised by Chad Kassem, CEO of Acoustic Sounds, the world’s largest source for audiophile recordings."

Still unsure if these will be AAA or not...I'm leaning toward them saying it IS AAA but I'm always skeptical.

I've avoided the AP because its 45RPM and while I know it has great reviews A) it's a crazy price now and B) I don't like the idea of an 18 minute song on one side of a 45RPM...
Don't forget this part:

Verve Label Group and UMe announced today the July 31st launch of a new “audiophile grade”, all-analog reissue series supervised by Acoustic Sounds CEO Chad Kassem

Unless that part is just Fremer making assumptions? I'm assuming he had it on good authority if that wasn't part of the presser. 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure the folks at Hoffman forum are on the case and we'll soon have a 90 page forum post about it! 😂 😂

Can't wait for all of the hyperbole that will inevitably get thrown around there. "I have the incomparable Japanese reissue that I bought for 32 cents in an Arby's parking lot, and it blows this pressing out of the water!"

Just looking through the Resident Records newsletter and did a double take. A final LP from Jimmy Heath, his final recordings before he passed away. Pre-orders available and going to be released on Verve next month. Definitely going to be getting this.

jimmy heath - love letter - resident

jim-500x500.jpg

love letter, jimmy heath’s stunningly elegant last testament, is the legendary saxophonists beautiful take on seminal ballads, including songs written by billie holiday, dizzy gillespie, and kenny dorham in addition to original material.
at two sessions in new york during the 48 hours preceding jimmy’s 93rd birthday, and two more a month later in atlanta, jimmy presided over a brilliant cast of colleagues and friends. the result is pure, primo heath: polished, inventive, surprising, candid, beautiful. guest artists include wynton marsalis, gregory porter, and cécile mclorin salvant

Last edited:
There is no 18 minute side on the 45 ALS, the longest is side 3 @ 10.45.

There is no 18 minute side on the 45 ALS, the longest is side 3 @ 10.45.
I think I’m so used to Pursuance going into Psalm that it would feel interrupted to me. But makes sense that they separated it onto 2 sides since they are two different tracks and it’s a 45.

Back