Jazz

Anybody know the best US retailer for Pure Pleasure? They always seem to be quite pricey at my local store if the even get them in...

I use Acoustic Sounds but they're pretty much always $35 wherever, at least that I've seen. LITA has them as well I believe for a similar price. Although I don't see that one up on Acoustic Sounds yet, I'm sure it will be. If anyone knows of a better price anywhere else, post it!

I use Acoustic Sounds but they're pretty much always $35 wherever, at least that I've seen. LITA has them as well I believe for a similar price. Although I don't see that one up on Acoustic Sounds yet, I'm sure it will be. If anyone knows of a better price anywhere else, post it!
Yea last one I got was Glass Bead Games and I think $40 was the cheapest I could find. I’ll check out acoustic sounds or LITA too! Forgot they stock them now.

I don’t usually post about books unless the topic specifically pops up, but I just finished ‘Delightfulee: The Life And Music Of Lee Morgan by Jeffery S. McMillan’ and just had to recommend it to you guys. With it being a biography, it has a lot less of the storybook narrative that the Miles Davis/Art Pepper/Charles Mingus autobiographies have, and actually reads more like an extended dissertation. It’s superb though and what I like is that when referencing recording sessions (which has a great balance of technical info and anecdotes) the author adds all the release info in brackets (label, catalogue number, recorded date, release date). It makes searching for the album a lot easier and it’s not just Morgan-led dates which are mentioned, many are just appearances from him. There’s a chunky section of his discography at the back as well.

Anyway, it’s well worth checking out. It had been really tricky to get here in the UK for quite a while and I eventually ordered mine from abroad. As it happens, the day it arrived I had an amazon alert to say they are now stocking it....go figure.

On another side note, I was listening to Larry Young - Mothership whilst reading earlier and noticed a moment where Morgan fails to hit a note and says “damn” on the recording. Reminded me of the famous Charlie Parker incident.

B6186C38-0B50-4BAF-BD0A-9034D5B7E505.jpeg

Insane price but also insane lineup...

They definitely dialled the intrigue factor up to 100 on this one.Have no idea what to expect and there is nothing out there to hear.
Then again at $40 (ex shipping) for 16mins of music I'd have some serious explaining to do!

Last edited:
They definitely dialled the intrigue factor up to 100 on this one.Have no idea what to expect and there is nothing out there to hear.
Then again at $40 (ex shipping) for 16mins of music I'd have some serious explaining to do!
It’s $52 shipped to the US. Insane. I’m super intrigued but can’t justify it. And I know someone will leak the MP3s at some point so I’ll just be patient.

Was waisting time on Amazon and came across a couple of books coming in February and March for those interested:

Was waisting time on Amazon and came across a couple of books coming in February and March for those interested:

Both look fantastic but that Brubeck is a sure purchase! Thanks buddy!

While we are on books, picked this up recently, Notes and Tones by Art Taylor. Art was a drummer who played with Sonny, Miles,Trane, Monk, Bird etc and he interviewed all the greats about music, but also race, religion etc, I’ve only had a quick look as I’ve got a few library books I’ve got to finish, but I’d say it’s well worth a look if ya see it for reasonable coin in your travels.1F88E11E-6BBC-4D9A-99FD-C7693BB75707.jpeg8A78BD52-0A8A-411D-8FCD-1013C9245B4A.jpeg

This might be of interest to some of you. I picked up this sealed record for £15 the other week on a whim. Never heard it before but it says it is a limited pressing (hand numbered with 500 copies) of a rare spiritual jazz record. These were originally pressing with hand written labels and sold at their live shows. Its a fantastic record, really great stuff.

"A fascinating hybrid of early 60's Coltrane, early 70's Miles Davis, and Ravi Shankar. This album was a very limited press that was handed out at their shows and sold to local stores. Only together for nine months, Mike Selesia and band recorded this album in one day while high on weed and opium laced tootsie rolls."

MIKE SELESIA "Flavor", by MAD ABOUT RECORDS

IMG_2455.JPG

This might be of interest to some of you. I picked up this sealed record for £15 the other week on a whim. Never heard it before but it says it is a limited pressing (hand numbered with 500 copies) of a rare spiritual jazz record. These were originally pressing with hand written labels and sold at their live shows. Its a fantastic record, really great stuff.

"A fascinating hybrid of early 60's Coltrane, early 70's Miles Davis, and Ravi Shankar. This album was a very limited press that was handed out at their shows and sold to local stores. Only together for nine months, Mike Selesia and band recorded this album in one day while high on weed and opium laced tootsie rolls."

MIKE SELESIA "Flavor", by MAD ABOUT RECORDS

View attachment 29772

That record is pretty good. A few turned up in the Bay Area over a decade ago and I was able to snap up a copy.

Crosspost from Fresh Grabs with a little more commentary.

Connexion - Third Eye (2013): German repress of the 1977 jazz fusion/spiritual/bop gem by the Netherlands jazz quartet led by Jamaican saxophonist Wilton Gaynair. I feel lucky to have found this copy in the US.

The back cover describes the album as "Four epic tracks filled with deep grooves, Latin/African influences and stratospheric abstraction. Terrific mixture of modal, spiritual, bop and fusion." This is mostly fusion to my ears but what an unexpected surprise -- really loved it, highly recommended.

Ahmad Jamal - Outertimeinnerspace (1972): Second album of live performances by Jamal at the 1971 Montreux Jazz Festival. One song per side, each containing a long improv performance by the legendary, prolific jazz pianist and his band.

Side one is "Bogota," written by bassist Richard Evans, who worked for a time as Jamal's arranger. Great song and really well-recorded with nice instrument separation in the sound stage. Just a trio so lots of room for the song to breathe. Side two is "Extensions," which is used as a framework to showcase each band member in a number of solo breaks.

Jamal has released a ton of stuff and is still recording as of last year at age 89! Really enjoyed Outertimeinnerspace and was happy to find a clean original pressing for $10.

IMG_4024.jpg

Last edited:
To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1, by Alabaster DePlume really on the fence about pre-ordering the limited edition here. On one hand the one track available is fucking BEAUTIFUL but on the other hand I’m not familiar with the artist at all but the description for album has really peaked my interest. What’s the verdict on this Alabaster DePlume fellow? Is this sure to be worth the money?

Never heard of him, do you need the Ltd Ed ?? Why don't you wait for release day and you can listen to the whole album and see if you want to spring for the record .
To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1, by Alabaster DePlume really on the fence about pre-ordering the limited edition here. On one hand the one track available is fucking BEAUTIFUL but on the other hand I’m not familiar with the artist at all but the description for album has really peaked my interest. What’s the verdict on this Alabaster DePlume fellow? Is this sure to be worth the money?

Never heard of him, do you need the Ltd Ed ?? Why don't you wait for release day and you can listen to the whole album and see if you want to spring for the record .
Cause it’s pretty :3.

I suppose this is probably the best option though lol. FOMO is real sometimes.

I ended up grabbing the limited one...it was only a few $ more.

Back