Jazz

Thought you fine people might enjoy this read:

Been listening to quite a few records engineered by Roy DuNann and I have to say...he gives RVG a run for his money!
HOFFMAN BOARD ALERT!

HOFFMAN BOARD ALERT!
haha Was this posted over on SHF? I try not to go over there unless I'm looking for recommended pressings of albums. Just came across that article this morning as I had seen someone on reddit talk about DuNann recently and started researching him some more. It's a pretty interesting read!

haha Was this posted over on SHF? I try not to go over there unless I'm looking for recommended pressings of albums. Just came across that article this morning as I had seen someone on reddit talk about DuNann recently and started researching him some more. It's a pretty interesting read!
Various DuNann threads pop up from time to time over there between threads fighting over whether there are tape warbles on the Tone Poet releases. Speaking personally, I was a fan once I discovered his sound on Way Out West and was hooked. I remember that piece in Stereophile since I subscribe to that mag. Yikes, 12 years goes by fast.

So which of the Tres Jazz Club releases should I be looking at getting?
Serious answer....all of them. They're all fantastic and the earlier releases have since sold out and are a nightmare to find at a decent price. Im missing almost all of them because they just don't pop up anymore. Im pretty much aiming to get each new release within a few weeks of them dropping as a result of not wanting to sleep on it and missing out.

I streamed about 4 bars and am sold

I wish they’d all been as high quality as this one with the packaging. This has an oversized (nearly 13”) sleeve of really thick card with lovely print quality and the rest are a standard thin straight to board sleeve. Not a deal breaker but this one feels high end if you know what I mean.

So which of the Tres Jazz Club releases should I be looking at getting?
For sure, they have brought some nice titles back into circulation but I have to question the source material used. I've sent emails that have not been returned when I've asked this quesiton. I have to assume that their releases are basically a CD pressed to vinyl. For that, I'll stick with my TMB CDs from Japan that cost way less (at the time). In all honesty, I'd really appreciate it if reissue labels like this would be transparent about their sources. If they only have a digital source, fine, but at least let us know before dropping 30 or more clams.

For sure, they have brought some nice titles back into circulation but I have to question the source material used. I've sent emails that have not been returned when I've asked this quesiton. I have to assume that their releases are basically a CD pressed to vinyl. For that, I'll stick with my TMB CDs from Japan that cost way less (at the time). In all honesty, I'd really appreciate it if reissue labels like this would be transparent about their sources. If they only have a digital source, fine, but at least let us know before dropping 30 or more clams.
Thanks for this, something I never knew about so I will have to dig a bit deeper. Theres a few j-jazz series that I have been dipping in and out of for a few years now, with Studio Mule/Mule Music being the most regular (pretty much have all their releases). I have a handful of the Le Tres Jazz Club (im with @Mr Moore on Elysian Spring being the best so far) but was looking to get some of their past releases I missed out on.

Its always a tricky one with the more obscure and private press j-jazz reissues as I always put the poorer sounding ones down to them not being originally professionally recorded to a high level. Sounds like it might just be down to source files used instead.....

Yeah, I've got a few of the early ones and they don't sound great , and the pressings are a bit hit and miss .
Interesting. If the sound quality isn’t there that could be a problem. I’ll dip my toe in gently.

Thanks for this, something I never knew about so I will have to dig a bit deeper. Theres a few j-jazz series that I have been dipping in and out of for a few years now, with Studio Mule/Mule Music being the most regular (pretty much have all their releases). I have a handful of the Le Tres Jazz Club (im with @Mr Moore on Elysian Spring being the best so far) but was looking to get some of their past releases I missed out on.

Its always a tricky one with the more obscure and private press j-jazz reissues as I always put the poorer sounding ones down to them not being originally professionally recorded to a high level. Sounds like it might just be down to source files used instead.....

Yeah, I've got a few of the early ones and they don't sound great , and the pressings are a bit hit and miss .

I agree with what have been said. LTJC reissues are not the best J-Jazz reissues out there and it is especially disappointing considering these are hard to find in our occidental markets and we could expect some particular treatment. It is particularly true when you compare LTJC reissues with BBE's or Project Re:Vinyl's, all very well done, pressed on high quality vinyls and stored in thick sleeves. On the other hand, prices are very different too (±18/20€ for a LTJC, ±30 for a BBE, ±45/50 for a Japanese one). I see these LTJC as an excellent and affordable option to listen to J-Jazz on vinyl but never as a definitive reissue. I have all the serie so far and have been happy while I see a better reissues (I'll try to compare Great Harvest this week-end and give you an update, I bought both LTJC and PRV recent reissues).

Fair enough, but why not just buy the CD, didn’t you buy a whole lot of the TBM CD reissues?
I agree with what have been said. LTJC reissues are not the best J-Jazz reissues out there and it is especially disappointing considering these are hard to find in our occidental markets and we could expect some particular treatment. It is particularly true when you compare LTJC reissues with BBE's or Project Re:Vinyl's, all very well done, pressed on high quality vinyls and stored in thick sleeves. On the other hand, prices are very different too (±18/20€ for a LTJC, ±30 for a BBE, ±45/50 for a Japanese one). I see these LTJC as an excellent and affordable option to listen to J-Jazz on vinyl but never as a definitive reissue. I have all the serie so far and have been happy while I see a better reissues (I'll try to compare Great Harvest this week-end and give you an update, I bought both LTJC and PRV recent reissues).

Back