Jazz

I'm less of a jazz expert but they always seem to be me to be much more reasonably priced on African stuff than jazz. On African, I'd say it's rare to find anybody who sells stuff cheaper than them (relative to the condition) but their jazz always seems fairly pricey. No doubt, it's good quality but I'm not prepared to pony up that much for most of them...

I'm less of a jazz expert but they always seem to be me to be much more reasonably priced on African stuff than jazz. On African, I'd say it's rare to find anybody who sells stuff cheaper than them (relative to the condition) but their jazz always seems fairly pricey. No doubt, it's good quality but I'm not prepared to pony up that much for most of them...

I can't even compare. Midnigh in Tokyo Vol.1 is on Discogs (2 versions from 1956) but has never been sold and Vol.2 is not even on Discogs:

1575555327414.png1575555341676.png

Grabbed Midnight in Tokyo Vol.1&2 (released in 1956...)+ that Tribe compilation :

I bought Vol 1 once before on ebay and cancelled after I had the seller check (there was no photo and I thought it may be the Studio Mule comp). Maybe I should of kept it haha.

Completely agree. They have this strange disparity between really reasonable and 'where the hell did that figure come from'. I have blanked on which record it was but they were selling it for over £50 and there are several on discogs in the same condition for £14....

Saying all that I went and bought the Yusef Lateef - Stable Mates. Its so so so rarely pops up and I just sold a few records at the weekend and kept the money for a bigger purchase. However, if anyone needs a kidney I will happily sell one of mine for a good price....

Following on from the Wildflower release theres now a new Ill Considered coming out. Titled '9', the album takes live performances from their European tour (which ends at the Helsinki jazz festival soon). They are then heading back into the studio to record a new album in the new year.

No pre-order yet but I will be on the lookout.

Bit of a random post but this interview with Robert Glasper is fantastic, hilarious, and he raises some really great points. I have never heard Glasper be interviewed in this kind of relaxed environment before and hes just so likable. Within 30 seconds I guarantee he will have made you laugh. I wont spoil it too much, but he makes a fantastic point about how he has met Herbie Hancock and Stevie Wonder, and if those guys can be cool, why cant Lauryn Hill seem to be?

If you haven't seen it, Lauryn Hill responded to this interview:

If you haven't seen it, Lauryn Hill responded to this interview:
I hadnt read that before, so thanks a lot! Not sure what your opinion of it is, but I found it to be quite a weak response.

I understand her analogy of being 'the architect of my creative expression' but to then state 'hire master builders and masterful artisans and technicians who play beautifully, lend their technical expertise, and who translate the language that I provide into beautifully realized music' suggests she thinks as long as she approves other peoples compositions she can claim it as her own. Weirdly I am an actual Architect and, as is the case with every registered Architect in the UK, we have to have our designs checked over by another Architect before sending them out. In this respect its like me designing a building then the Architect that counter-signs it claiming it is their design as they approved it.

She later addresses the claim that her management cut her bands pay in half just hours before a gig. She says she wasn't aware of that ever happening, but then calls-out other musicians that she knows did that exact thing. Why would she try to make it seem like a common practice when her defense was that she didn't do it?

'I’m confused as to why such a principled musician, who thought I ‘stole’ from his friends, would show up to work for me anyway.' This is actually a great point, I would love to know Glaspers response.

'Most people are probably just hearing your name for the first time because you dropped MINE in an interview, controversially.' Just checking....shes talking about 7-time nominated & 3-time Grammy award winning, 1-time Emmy winning Robert Glasper here right? 🤣

'Me being late to shows isn’t because I don’t respect my fans or their time, but the contrary, It can be argued that I care too much, and insist on things being right.' Erm....

I hadnt read that before, so thanks a lot! Not sure what your opinion of it is, but I found it to be quite a weak response.

I understand her analogy of being 'the architect of my creative expression' but to then state 'hire master builders and masterful artisans and technicians who play beautifully, lend their technical expertise, and who translate the language that I provide into beautifully realized music' suggests she thinks as long as she approves other peoples compositions she can claim it as her own. Weirdly I am an actual Architect and, as is the case with every registered Architect in the UK, we have to have our designs checked over by another Architect before sending them out. In this respect its like me designing a building then the Architect that counter-signs it claiming it is their design as they approved it.

She later addresses the claim that her management cut her bands pay in half just hours before a gig. She says she wasn't aware of that ever happening, but then calls-out other musicians that she knows did that exact thing. Why would she try to make it seem like a common practice when her defense was that she didn't do it?

'I’m confused as to why such a principled musician, who thought I ‘stole’ from his friends, would show up to work for me anyway.' This is actually a great point, I would love to know Glaspers response.

'Most people are probably just hearing your name for the first time because you dropped MINE in an interview, controversially.' Just checking....shes talking about 7-time nominated & 3-time Grammy award winning, 1-time Emmy winning Robert Glasper here right? 🤣

'Me being late to shows isn’t because I don’t respect my fans or their time, but the contrary, It can be argued that I care too much, and insist on things being right.' Erm....
My opinion on the whole thing is just that it's interesting.

Her response is BS to this in particular and something about this makes me think it was a manager/money issue.
She could have said that it was unprofessional, should not have happened, and if knew I would have addressed it.
The excuse Glasper was given, "Lauren doesn't like their playing." doesn't jibe with her view of taking her art seriously. Why would she offer half pay to go on with a band she thought was not up to standard? If this was her attitude she should have payed them for the days that they worked let them go home, and rehire a different band for the show. To me this points to that fact it was all about the money not the playing. Her response was deflection. Which makes me think that she didn't want to lie for some reason and that she knew about the situation.

Thanks! I am a bassist so I am always wanting to listen to bass heavy stuff, especially with my jazz.

Favorites: Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Jaco / Weather Report. I am much more into fusion stuff than cool jazz. I love horns, but I prefer them to a sweet funky drum beat vs a swing. I doubt I'll ever be able to get too deep into older jazz, but I truly appreciate the nature of the genre.

Thanks! I am a bassist so I am always wanting to listen to bass heavy stuff, especially with my jazz.

Favorites: Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, Jaco / Weather Report. I am much more into fusion stuff than cool jazz. I love horns, but I prefer them to a sweet funky drum beat vs a swing. I doubt I'll ever be able to get too deep into older jazz, but I truly appreciate the nature of the genre.
I'm digging the bass on the new Muriel Grossmann record "Reverence". Nothing flashy but very nice all the same. Possibly hitting Spotify etc tomorrow or next Friday...

Hi all! New member here big jazz fan. Definitely want to cosign the Junius Paul shout out. His bass playing on the Makaya stuff is fantastic, and his just released solo record is fantastic too, although a little disjointed.

This set from LA is some of my favorite stuff Makaya is on, would definitely pay up for vinyl release! https://grownkidsradio.bandcamp.com/album/raws-la

Anyone hear dig Wildflower? WILDFLOWER Their first LP is one of my favorites of the whole modern Jazz explosion that has been going on and they just put up orders for a second.

You should check out the Donald Byrd stuff with the Mizel brothers if you're not familiar. Blue Note just did a nice reissue of his record "Ethiopian Knights" too, which is funky as hell and so good.

Anyone hear dig Wildflower? WILDFLOWER Their first LP is one of my favorites of the whole modern Jazz explosion that has been going on and they just put up orders for a second.

Welcome mate! Yeah, a few of us ordered the white label pre release of Wildflower 2. Hoping mine will be here tomorrow or Saturday.

Hi all! New member here big jazz fan. Definitely want to cosign the Junius Paul shout out. His bass playing on the Makaya stuff is fantastic, and his just released solo record is fantastic too, although a little disjointed.

This set from LA is some of my favorite stuff Makaya is on, would definitely pay up for vinyl release! RAWS:LA, by Makaya McCraven, Jeff Parker, Justin 'Justefan' Thomas, Benjamin Shepard

Welcome buddy, you are in good company here. Makaya is killing the scene lately, and his live shows are superb.

As @Mr Moore said, a handful of us managed to snag the white label early release of Wildflower so hopefully we will be able to listen to the full thing over the weekend! Maybe you already know, but they also have a second group with a slight change in line-up called Ill Considered which are superb as well.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Comet Is Coming live last night. It was the 3rd of of us seeing them but the first when we weren't standing. It was a fantastic show as always, and amazing to see everyone jumping up and down, even those people that were seated. Even more brilliant was the mix of ages in the audience. There were SEVERAL older couples (im talking 60s-70s here) who were waving their hands and dancing as much as everyone else. Incredible to think such a lively and 'modern' sounding group is attracting such a diverse audience!

IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG

Back