January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 22 - "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."
Jim Jarmusch was born on this day in 1953. Play something by somebody who has appeared in one of his films, or on one of their soundtracks.

Mulatu Astatke "Mulatu Of Ethiopia" (1972 Worthy Records; 2003 reissue)
Bill Murray's Don receives a mysterious letter. After discussing with his Ethiopian neighbor Winston (played by Jeffrey Wright), in an attempt to solve the mystery, Winston plans a road trip for Don to visit his old lovers. Winston also gives Don a mix CD featuring several Mulatu Astatke tracks to play in his car, which soundtracks much of the film Broken Flowers.

IMG_2117.JPG

Last edited:
Day 22 - "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."
Jim Jarmusch was born on this day in 1953. Play something by somebody who has appeared in one of his films, or on one of their soundtracks.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Year Of The Horse - A Film By Jim Jarmusch

View attachment 125876

It's All One Song!

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ Way Down in the Rust Bucket

1642887840372.png

Day 21 - Give ‘em the Blues.
Play some blues.

Some Blues Rock featuring some other famous blues artists...

Fleetwood Mac – Fleetwood Mac In Chicago
Sire – SASH-3715-2, 1969/1975

Featuring: Otis Spann / Willie Dixon / Shakey Horton / J.T. Brown / Guitar Buddy / Honey Boy Edwards / S.P. Leary

Cut by Robert Ludwig at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

mFAia2.jpg

khTsX5.jpg

Day 22 - Jim Jarmusch

So, I was convinced in my mind that Nick Cave was in a Jarmusch movie. Googling it, I don’t think so - I think I was confusing it with a Wim Wenders movie. All three guys are friends though, and I was set on hearing the Cave LP so I’m playing it anyway 😂.

4DC2B886-2378-454B-AEA5-635AA3F57B26.jpeg

Here’s a pic of them together for good measure:

1642895635996.jpeg

Caleb Landry Jones – Gadzooks Vol. 1
Sacred Bones Records – SBR-279, 2021

Cut by Chris Muth

ZEddcW.jpg

MxJoh1.jpg

Day 23 - “I never thought a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland or anywhere else was a good idea”
On this day in 1986 the first musicians were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Play something by an artist who was then or has since been inducted.

Pearl Jam was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017 in its first year of eligibility.
237AA2EC-7A9C-40A4-9D65-BF6278110C8A.jpeg

Day 23 - “I never thought a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland or anywhere else was a good idea”
On this day in 1986 the first musicians were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Play something by an artist who was then or has since been inducted.

Class of 1989

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You

98037E8D-BBEA-4493-815E-F813FE0C7DBA.jpeg

I really wish I had some Tina Turner or that my Carole King albums sounded better, because they deserved to be in this farce of a museum way sooner than they were. But instead I'm going with Roxy Music because this Steven Wilson mix is excellent and it's one of my favorite RSD grabs from the last couple years.

Screenshot_20220123-094826.jpg

I guess I'll choose an artist from my mug....

cup2.jpegcup.jpeg
sab.jpeg

The Clash - Combat Rock
View attachment 126042

My #1 for 1982!

I don't listen to this one too often. It's not really a sonic masterpiece since it's a Cheppa/Rainbo colab,I'd be interested if they can do anything with this when they get around to reissuing it.

Nine Inch Nails – The Slip
The Null Corporation – HALO 27 V, 2008

Cut by David Cheppa
Pressed at Rainbo

XXQLcW.jpg

MeqWyP.jpg

Back