January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 21 - Give ‘em the Blues

On this day in 1982 B.B. King donated his entire record collection to the University of Mississippi's Center for the Study of Southern Culture. The collection included about 20,000 rare blues records. Play some blues.

John Lee Hooker - That’s Where It's AtView attachment 125858

I almost played my beat-up copy of this. Great record!

Day 21: Give ‘em the Blues
On this day in 1982 B.B. King donated his entire record collection to the University of Mississippi's Center for the Study of Southern Culture. The collection included about 20,000 rare blues records. Play some blues.

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal
View attachment 125812
You know I’ve had this album for a few years now and had never gotten around to spinning it, now’s a good time.

The was my Rosetta Stone for the Blues. I’d had some Muddy Waters, BB King and John Lee Hooker but didn’t really get it. This album made it all click.

Day 22 - "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."

The White Stripes - Elephant

8487AC56-3889-4E99-BDF0-0DC7F4F688ED.jpeg

We’ve been playing this one a lot around here because my 4 year old created his own superhero called “Elephant Boy” in his mind, so obviously the movie and corresponding soundtrack have already been made in his world. Alexa plays “Seven Nation Army” when he asks for it to play “Elephant Boy” and he loves it

Day 22 - "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."
Jim Jarmusch was born on this day in 1953. Play something by somebody who has appeared in one of his films, or on one of their soundtracks.

1642865902537.png

I don't have that specific record, so I'll go with this one:

The Raconteurs – Consolers Of The Lonely

PXL_20220122_154302906.jpg

Day 21 - Give ‘em the Blues
On this day in 1982 B.B. King donated his entire record collection to the University of Mississippi's Center for the Study of Southern Culture. The collection included about 20,000 rare blues records. Play some blues

Albert King - New Orleans Heat
I could use some of that heat, it's been a bit nippy in MI the last few days.

albert.jpeg

Day 22 : "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."
Jim Jarmusch was born on this day in 1953. Play something by somebody who has appeared in one of his films, or on one of their soundtracks.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
547CF1E7-A675-4140-9F2D-A027ABA7A6A4.jpeg

The Jarmusch music artist as actors are flying off the shelf. Better get this one in before it’s too late.

Day 22 : "I'd rather make a movie about a guy walking his dog than about the emperor of China."

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
View attachment 125928

The Jarmusch music artist as actors are flying off the shelf. Better get this one in before it’s too late.

Surprised you didn't choose a clip from this JJ gem to go with Rain Dogs....

Jim Jarmusch was born on this day in 1953. Play something by somebody who has appeared in one of his films, or on one of their soundtracks

I should watch this one a second time...

SS.jpeg

Day 22

Everyday I sing the blues…

I feel like I could write a nice essay about my love for Folkways recordings which is how I came to own this record which immediately became my all time favorite Blues record. Interestingly, my copy did not come with the liner notes and it wasn’t until I was reading Step It Up & Go that I discovered these guys spent a big chunk of their career here in NC.

D98B4285-7EA0-4E0E-8A5F-78474C027E91.jpeg
Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry Sing

Back