January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 16 - Black Prog
Aaliyah and Sade were born on this day (in 1979 and 1959 respectively). Play some progressive soul.

Fine Young Cannibals "Fine Young Cannibals" (1986 London Records, original pressing)
Going with 80's progressive soul. I love this record so much. Roland Gift has such a singular voice. Suspicious Minds is a wonderful cover. Blue and Funny How Love Is are beautiful and Johnny Come Home is one of my all-time favorite songs.

IMG_2100.JPG

Day 16

Progressive Soul

Since the Stax/Motown hey day, soul has not been the most exciting genre. I’m not saying there hasn’t been good soul, there has. D’Angelo and Eykah Badu certainly injected some awesome in the 90s. I’m hard pressed to think of anyone who has turned the genre as much on its ears as Mr Sumney and I’m here for it.

F93C3280-1A3C-43C2-9325-7FD63D2837C7.jpeg
Moses Sumney - Live from Blackalachia

Day 17 - MLK Day
Stevie Wonder was one of the main figures in the campaign to make King’s birthday a national holiday. Play something by or connected to Stevie Wonder.

Going with the same song as @SpintheBlackcircle, but different album.

Red Hot Chili Peppers – Mother's Milk
EMI USA – E1-92152, 1989

DMM cut at Sterling
Pressed at Specialty

FMAAW2.jpg

uYx7BX.jpg

Day 17 - MLK Day
Stevie Wonder was one of the main figures in the campaign to make King’s birthday a national holiday. Play something by or connected to Stevie Wonder.
track 1 Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours
20220117_151053.jpg

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Rendition Was In)​

Label:Daptone Records – DAP-066
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Stereo, Blue With Black Splatter
Released:27 Nov 2020

Back