January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

well, I have some catching up to do (again), don’t I…

Day 15: "The time is always right to do what is right."

Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On

B2D930C9-54D7-49DB-B1EA-8BAA6649BBFB.jpeg

I’m honestly surprised this was still available for that theme…

Also, I just found this out over the weekend listening to an AT40 show from 1984, Dr. King apparently had a Hot 100 hit. His “I Have a Dream” speech (or at least an excerpt of it) was issued as a single by Motown after his assassination and it charted at #88 in May 1968.

E5DEBAC1-2161-4490-B292-E10568AD5CA2.jpeg

Day 17 - MLK Day

Another thing Stevie helped bring to the US public consciousness was Apartheid. This 1985 album from an Ivory Coast duo has the anti-Apartheid song just called Apartheid, which is ironically one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard.

34400589-21F8-4EE0-AED9-B3985924E6A5.jpeg

Day 17 - MLK Day

20220117_210322.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (i don't think anyone did this one for today)

So when I do challenges I refuse to look ahead and only look right before I pick the record. I feel like that makes it a more random pick for me instead of spending all month thinking about it. I've wanted to play this for several other days this month (motown. Impeachment and black prog) and something stopped me every time. I guess it was so I could use it today lol

Day 18 - Entrance Music
Professional wrestlers Batista, El Perro Aguayo & Toots Mondt were all born on this day (1969, 1946 and 1894 respectively). Play the song you would use for entrance music if you were a pro wrestler.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever To Tell

Lots of bangers on this one, pretty much any will work for intros. Here's a bit of reverse psychology...

You make me, you make me, you make me
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
Time you take it
You look so good
You take your time
Tick tick tick time

You take it, let's have a look
Tick tick tick time
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
Time you take it, time you take it

You make me, you make me
You make me want to lose
You make me want to lose

PXL_20220118_125000782.jpg

Day 18 - Entrance Music
not my own photo today as I was out until the early hours watching these boys do their finest work in that there London Town
they blew the roof off the place, incredible night
R-12449058-1549001285-2493.jpeg.jpg

Idles – Joy As An Act Of Resistance​

Label:Partisan Records – PTKF2158-6
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Pink
Released:31 Aug 2018

Day 16: Black Prog
Aaliyah and Sade were born on this day (in 1979 and 1959 respectively). Play some progressive soul

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
6928BE6D-1451-43D7-9FFB-362FC15AF694.jpeg

The term Progressive Soul was foreign to me but the more I researched it the more I realize not only do I know Progressive Soul but I LOVE Progressive Soul. Most people associate Donald Byrd with Jazz and his Jazz Fusion turn he took in the 1970s is my favorite era of his. The thing is, I don’t feel like there is a huge difference between Jazz Fusion and Progressive Soul. Their respective starting points are different but the end result feels very much of the same style. If they aren’t the exact same thing they are at least siblings. This album is Fire but the main reason for playing it was so I could share this amazing live performance of “Blackbyrd”.

Back