January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features a song about cocaine

Cocaine etc...
"
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol

CCCCCCCC Cocaine"

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R (X-Rated)

4EBC942E-EEAF-4581-9061-795328730BCC.jpeg

Day 15 - "The time is always right to do what is right."
Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on this day in 1929. Play something that focuses on civil rights or social justice.

Donny Hathaway "Everything Is Everything" (1970 ATCO; 2019 Speakers Corner remaster)
Voices Inside, Tryin' Times, The Ghetto and To Be Young Gifted And Black all relate to civil rights and justice, circa 1970.

IMG_2099.JPG

Day 14 - “Turn on, tune in, drop out”
Various – Stay Holy!

20220115_165651.jpg

This compilation was my first real foray into psych rock. Unsurprisingly, the silkscreened Sun Ra grabbed my attention while flipping through the bins at a pretty kick ass record shop by my folks' place. The price was reasonable enough that I decided to commit to it, regardless of what it was. The fact that the compilation was released to celebrate the Cardinal Fuzz Sonic Attack segment of Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 2015 sounded interesting and I've enjoyed this quite a bit the few times I've spun it. I'm going to make a point this year to explore the included bands further as I've not yet done so.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on this day in 1929. Play something that focuses on civil rights or social justice.

I had a couple picked out for today, but changed last minute because I needed this in my soul. Neil is one of those musicians I've had a lot of respect for over the years for the messages of social justice in his songs. Plus this is one of the best sounding albums of all time imo.

Screenshot_20220115-202658.jpg

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features a song about cocaine

Cocaine etc...
"
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol

CCCCCCCC Cocaine"

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R (X-Rated)

View attachment 125201
Amazed that this was not played on Day 11

Day 16 - Black Prog
Aaliyah and Sade were born on this day (in 1979 and 1959 respectively). Play some progressive soul.

Doesn't get much more progressive than George Clinton and all his projects and personas. Truly visionary.

Lucky enough to tape one of the shows on George's last full tour in 2019. Blackbyrd McKnight does Eddie Hazel proud.....

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

20190723_012224.jpg

Pretty much any track is a song about civil rights or social injustice.

Rage Against The Machine – Evil Empire
Epic – E 57523, 1996

hJPd9T.jpg

tKFcEh.jpg

Day 13 - Impeach the President
45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state.

Spinning a CD for this prompt.

"
The song was initially released as a UK single in June, 1985 with the title “Bonzo Goes to Bitburg”. It was renamed “My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)” when it appeared on their 1986 album, Animal Boy.
The song is one of the Ramones few directly political tunes. The song protests then President Ronald Reagan’s visit to the Bitburg military cemetery in Germany, which included grave sites of Nazi soldiers."

The Ramones - Anthology

7AAAAF1B-8AF2-4D1C-8F84-3F2EB95D1AC7.jpeg

Back