January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 13 - Impeach the President

Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence
Song: “The End Of The Innocence”

8DDFA551-01FA-49C9-8F53-F163F0E5618F.jpeg

Regarding the Reagan administration:

“O' beautiful, for spacious skies
But now those skies are threatening
They're beating plowshares into swords
For this tired old man that we elected king
Armchair warriors often fail
And they've been poisoned by these fairy tales
The lawyers clean up all details
Since daddy had to lie”

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

Detroit Rising – A Cosmic Jazz Funk Adventure

I got this from my secret Santa a few years ago. Thanks again Santa!

PXL_20220114_015804849.jpg

Day 13 - Impeach the President
45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state.

Fẹla And Afrika 70 - Zombie

"The album criticised the Nigerian government; and it is thought to have resulted in the murder of Kuti's mother Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, and the destruction of his commune by the military."

PXL_20220114_021839758.jpg

Day 14 - “Turn on, tune in, drop out”
The Human Be-In launched the Summer of Love on this day in 1967. Play something psychedelic.

The Human Be-In concert featured Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Blue Cheer. I think the least well-known from that lineup is Quicksilver so let's give them some love.

I always describe Quicksilver Messenger Service to folks who've never heard them as kinda like Santana from Chicago.

This show is smokin'...

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Live At the Winterland Ballroom, December First, 1973

20220114_000141.jpg

Day 14: “Turn on, tune in, drop out”
The Human Be-In launched the Summer of Love on this day in 1967. Play something psychedelic.
8785ABA7-1696-44B9-A867-7E4802DB87D4.jpeg

“Oh, the snot has caked against my pants
It has turned into crystal”

These lyrics are very WTF!?!! but at the same time completely relatable and the primary reason I carry a handkerchief with me wherever I go.

Day 13

Stick it to the man

Of course Ian Mackaye is going to protest the state. I mean this album starts out with a song about the evils of drones. It’s Inauguration Day that really brings the bite:

One hundred thousand strong
Standing out on the lawn
There's some people here to see you
I don't think
They agree with you

3D1781C7-BE92-4C0F-BE63-C40CFE9DBF88.jpeg
Coriky

Day 14

*bong rip*

One of the interesting discoveries over the last few years for me has been that psychedelic music is not purely a US/UK thing. It’s really interesting to see a band like @AC Slaughter ’s ROTM artist GOAT from Sweden use a world of influence to create music that has that mind expanding sound.

6476DE58-DCD8-42B1-BD54-4A8BD145DDC6.jpeg
GOAT - Requim

Back