January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

I’ll go with both. Detroit guitar legend and member of The Funk Brothers: Dennis Coffey.
I was lucky enough to see him at a Detroit jazz club (Cliff Bell’s) over a decade ago.

IMG_20220112_173310_067.jpg

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

Diana Ross - S/T

I probably haven't listened to this since the 80s. It was one of my dad's records. But sure enough as soon as I put it on it brought back some memories of him spinning this. I have a vague memory of my mom complaining that Diana Ross did the Supremes dirty.

Screenshot_20220112-192953.jpg

Day 13 - Impeach the President
45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state
20220112_203410.jpg20220112_203423.jpg

The Homeless Gospel Choir – This Is A Protest Song​

Label:A-F Records – AF 126
Format:Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Album, Turquoise/Green
Released:23 Jul 2021
Limited to 250 from The Homeless Gospel Choir’s webstore
Red (limited to 125pcs)
Turquoise/Green (limited to 125pcs) (This Version)

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
Play something that features a song about cocaine.

I'll play some stuff until I can't - my back usually feels fine when I wake up - now is about 2/3 AM. But moving around usually brings on the back spasms eventually. I got a muscle relaxer to take at bed time, but laying down isn't a position that really hurts all that much. It's the moving around during the day just trying to be somewhat productive that causes the pain.

As for the track....I like Townes Van Zandt's version, but I heard this one first. "Cocaine" is called "Habitual Blues" on the label of this promo, along with other alternative track titles.

Hoyt Axton – Thunder'N Lightnin'
Horizon Records – WP-1613, 1963

White Label Promo - with alternate track titles on label.

Pressed at Monarch

QXH3GH.jpg

Mwc9WH.jpg

Day 12 - Motown
On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

Going for the Twofer here - Rare Earth was the label Motown set up for psychedelic and underground rock. Howl The Good was from Detroit.

Produced by Gary "Dream Weaver" Wright and also wrote a couple of the tracks. This was the bands one and only album.

Howl The Good – Howl The Good
Rare Earth – R 537L DJ, 1972

Promo

Cut at Artisan
Pressed at RCA Records, Indianapolis

hnGotH.jpg

NSiZ34.jpg

45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state

Heaven 17 "Penthouse And Pavement" (1981 Virgin, Canadian pressing)
Includes "(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang", which includes this line:

Democrats are out of power
Across that great wide ocean
Reagan's president elect
Fascist god in motion

IMG_2097.JPG

BONUS DOUBLE PLAY!!!!

LCD Soundsystem "Electric Lady Sessions"
(2019 DFA)
"(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang" is covered with this change in lyrics, updated for when this was released, making this a versatile track for telling any republican present off.

Democrats are out of power
Across that great wide ocean
The orange one is President
Fascist god in motion

IMG_2096.JPG

Day 13: Impeach the President
45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state.

Bright Eyes - Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground
60F778B8-11F6-4438-BAD9-F7DB5394ABA2.jpeg
Bright Eyes’ “Let’s Not Shit Ourselves” was a scathing takedown of the “Cowboy President”

“…And the approval rating is high
And so someone's gonna die”

45 was impeached for the second time one year ago today! Play something protesting a head of state.

A confidence man, but why so beleaguered?
He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer
Swinging for the fence, got lucky with a strike
Drilling for fear makes the job simple
Born on third, thinks he got a triple

Bu$hleaguer was not received well at some shows in 2003, see the video from Uniondale, NY below. Angry, antagonistic Eddie is my favorite Eddie.

Pearl Jam ~ Riot Act

1642104925200.png

Back