January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features Keith Richards

While it’s clearly Marc Ribot on much of this record, Keef plays some guitar on Union Square, Big Black Mariah and Blind Love and even threw in some backing vox in there too.

IMG_20220111_172257_373.jpg

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

I'll take one off the beaten Motown path. Detroit Boys as well.

The ever elusive drummer who's the lead singer...

Ray Charles gets the psych soul treatment...

Bought this copy in 1974. She still looks pretty good...

Rare Earth - One World

20220111_235342.jpg

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features a song about cocaine OR play something that features Keith Richards.

Steppenwolf - 7

View attachment 124584

Snowblind Friend

Growing up this was one of my favorite songs and I played it constantly. I remember I watched The Outsiders and then immediately went and checked all of S. E. Hinton's books out of the library. I must have read That Was Then, This Is Now at least ten times. This song captured that book so well. I spent a lot of afternoons with Steppenwolf and Hinton. It seems like neither gets the attention they deserve anymore, but I sure loved them.

"He said he wanted Heaven but prayin' was too slow
So he bought a one way ticket on an airline made of snow"
Written by Hoyt Axton and his mom, Mae...

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit
Have no Motown in my collection, so this is the closest.
Recorded Aug/Sept 1969 at Tera-Shirma Studio, Detroit, MI.
View attachment 124720

So Detroit he even ran for Mayor too. Twice.

Day 12 - Motown
{Twofer} On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown OR play something from Detroit.

I'm also going down the Detroit path
20220111_220427.jpg

Suzi Quatro – Suzi Quatro​

Label:RAK – SRAK 505, RAK – 0C 062 o 94737
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Released:1973

Suzi Quatro​

Susan Kay Quatro
Profile:
American bassist, singer and songwriter, born June 3, 1950 in Detroit, Michigan

Day 9 - "I’m not a crook."
Richard Nixon was born on this day in 1913. Play something by somebody with a criminal record.

Since I hurt my back last week and re-tweaked it again trying to work this past Sunday, I really haven't been spinning much. It just hurts to get up and down. It's just easier to lay in my chair or in bed listening to podcasts or watching a movie.

But while this muscle relaxer is still working, I'll do what I can.

Arrested in Memphis on a misdemeanor charge of public intoxication and was held for five hours until he sobered up.
D8qnHq7XsAAcwaM.jpg

I just like posting this because he was arrested in a St. Louis Blues shirt.

The Blues lost that Game 6, but won Game 7 and the Stanley Cup a few nights later.

Ozzy Osbourne – Diary Of A Madman
Epic/Legacy – 88697 86665 1, 1981/2011

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling
Pressed at RTI

A1w00t.jpg

xiYCES.jpg

Day 10 - London Underground
The Metropolitan Railway opened between Paddington and Farringdon on this day in 1863, marking the beginning of the London Underground. Play something that features a train song.

Sticking with Ozzy. I was originally going to play this one for yesterday's "arrested" theme, but saw that Crazy Train fit for this day.

Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard Of Ozz
Jet Records – JZ 36812, 1981

Cut by Brian Gardner at Allen Zentz Mastering
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

mVHdMb.jpg

tkLrCH.jpg

Day 12 - Motown

Twofer! Mick Collins is Detroit to the core, and this album features a number of Motown covers.

The Dirtbombs ~ Ultraglide in Black

1642009114466.png

Day 12: Motown
On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown.

Erykah Badu - Baduism
5DC02196-C0EB-462D-8DB6-73F55FF848F9.jpeg
I decided to play a Motown album but I now realize that I really don’t have many classic Motown records in my collection… actually outside my couple of Badu records I don’t have any.

Day 12: Motown
On this day in 1959 Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Tamla Records, the beginning of the Motown Empire. Play some Motown.

Erykah Badu - Baduism
View attachment 124782
I decided to play a Motown album but I now realize that I really don’t have many classic Motown records in my collection… actually outside my couple of Badu records I don’t have any.

Check this. I guess I do have a few other Motown albums my 3 Stevie Wonder records did come out on Motown subsidiary Tamla.

Back