January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 10 - London Underground
{Twofer} The Metropolitan Railway opened between Paddington and Farringdon on this day in 1863, marking the beginning of the London Underground. Play something by an independent artist from London OR play something that features a train song.

Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman

PXL_20220111_022531433.jpg

Day 11 - Snorting Keef
{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features a song about cocaine OR play something that features Keith Richards.

During Keef's trial after his Canadian drug bust, a blind fan named Rita managed to get her story about hitchhiking to see The Stones because their music meant so much to her to the judge and it's credited as a main reason in keeping him on the street. In lieu of prison, the judge ordered Keef to play two benefit concerts for The Canadian National Institute For The Blind.

I just happen to have this bootleg of the Oshawa CNIB Benefit show laying around and I'll never have a better reason to bust it out...

The New Barbarians & The Rolling Stones - Blind Date

20220110_235725.jpg

Last edited:
Day 11 - Snorting Keef

{Twofer} On this day in 1977 Keith Richards was tried in London for possession of cocaine. Play something that features a song about cocaine OR play something that features Keith Richards.

David Bowie - StationToStation (2010 Maslin mix - I have trouble telling the difference between this mix and the original. I do prefer this cover art though.)

It's not the side effects of the cocaine / I'm thinking that it must be love

With Bowie on my brain this week, this is the first song that popped into my head. Working from home so got to play it early.

IMG_11_1033.jpg

Day 11 - Snorting Keef

Steppenwolf - 7

Screenshot_20220111-083410.jpg

Snowblind Friend

Growing up this was one of my favorite songs and I played it constantly. I remember I watched The Outsiders and then immediately went and checked all of S. E. Hinton's books out of the library. I must have read That Was Then, This Is Now at least ten times. This song captured that book so well. I spent a lot of afternoons with Steppenwolf and Hinton. It seems like neither gets the attention they deserve anymore, but I sure loved them.

"He said he wanted Heaven but prayin' was too slow
So he bought a one way ticket on an airline made of snow"

Day 11 - Snorting Keef

Paul Cauthen "Room 41" (2019 Lightning Rod Records)
A little cocaine country dancing on this fine frigid day.

IMG_2094.JPG

Melt Yourself Down – Melt Yourself Down

20220111_095801.jpg

They are on Decca these days which is significantly less underground than the Leaf label where they released this, their debut album, in 2013 but I still don't see their names come up much on this side of the pond, so I'd say they're still somewhat underground. Their 2020 album was their best one yet and they have a new one slated to come out at the end of next month, which will hopefully put them on more peoples' radars.

Day 09: "I’m not a crook."
Richard Nixon was born on this day in 1913. Play something by somebody with a criminal record.

Paul McCarthy & Wings - Band On The Run
3B07201D-766B-41D0-8FBB-60FB7F18D92A.jpeg

That time Macca got busted for trying to smuggle a half pound of weed into Japan while on tour…

“We were about to fly to Japan and I knew I wouldn’t be able to get anything to smoke over there. This stuff was too good to flush down the toilet, so I thought I’d take it with me.”

Day 11 - Snorting Keef

Paul Cauthen "Room 41" (2019 Lightning Rod Records)
A little cocaine country dancing on this fine frigid day.

View attachment 124626

Also, I fucking love that song. Insanely groovy track. Don't need cocaine to bop to this. Maybe play it at 45 for the coke heads.

Melt Yourself Down – Melt Yourself Down

View attachment 124624

They are on Decca these days which is significantly less underground than the Leaf label where they released this, their debut album, in 2013 but I still don't see their names come up much on this side of the pond, so I'd say they're still somewhat underground. Their 2020 album was their best one yet and they have a new one slated to come out at the end of next month, which will hopefully put them on more peoples' radars.

Oh, thanks for this! New to me and completely my speed. Going to go down a rabbit hole. Kind of like a modern version The Pop Group off my quick listen of a few tracks.

Day 11: Snorting Keef

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
379853D8-FDB6-463F-BBCE-B681417983DF.jpeg

“Pharmaceutical cocaine cannot be compared in any way to cocaine produced in Central or South America. It is pure, does not bring on depression or lethargy. A totally different type of euphoria, one of creativity, exists immediately when it is absorbed by the central nervous system. There are absolutely no withdrawal symptoms.”

Day 11 - Snorting Keef

Includes "My Brother's a Basehead"

Throughout high school our minds we'd waste
High off all the cheeba that we could taste
Soon you had converted to nasal sports
Every five minutes cocaine you'd snort
Told me that you needed a stronger fix
Stepped to the crack scene in '86
Unlike the other drugs where you had control
This substance had engulfed your body and soul

De La Soul ~ De La Soul Is Dead

1641925274994.png

Back