January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us.

Danny Whitten was the original guitarist in Crazy Horse. He OD'd on heroin. Danny's death had a profound impact on Neil and was the driving emotional force in some of his greatest music. Tonight's The Night in particular and The Ditch Trilogy in general revolve around life with a junkie, their death and living with the wreckage left behind.

Here's Danny singing '(Come On Baby) Let's Go Downtown', a song about living to score to get high to score again. Two years later, he was gone.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live At The Fillmore East March 6 & 7, 1970

20210103_235659.jpg

Last edited:
Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us

The relationship between Neil & Lynyrd Skynyrd is pretty well known, and outlined well in the Drive~By Truckers song "Ronnie and Neil"

"Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends, their feud was just in song
Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song
So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record
But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord"

So today's post is for Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, and the other folks in that plane crash.

Lynyrd Skynyrd ~ Gold & Platinum

1609783960056.png

Day 04: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)”
Play something by someone no longer with us.
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
FAF93CCD-877D-4F76-977E-94AB4F6874B2.jpeg
I was unfamiliar with Nujabes until these reissues started dropping but I was blown away upon my first listen mostly instrumental jazz based hip-hop is right up my alley. I went through and downloaded his complete discography but was surprised that he hadn’t dropped anything new since 2011. That’s when I my mood shifted from elation from the personal discovery of an amazing talent to bummed out after discovering that he was killed in an automobile accident back in 2010 at only 36 years of age. At least his musical legacy will provide me and all of his fans great joy moving forward.

*catch-up*
Day 3 — “Hello Mr. Soul”

Nina Simone — I Put A Spell On You

B4802244-27F3-4498-9737-53D9C7C30B0F.jpeg

Wish I could’ve spent all of #soulsunday listening to Nina instead of doing ICU work. Spinning her today made up for it though. Also this album contains the definitive version of “Feeling Good” and there’s absolutely no way to change my mind.

Day 4: “He Sleeps with Angels (too soon)” – Play something by someone no longer with us.

Couldn’t choose, so I cheated and played two:

John Prine - Sweet Revenge

12A9F363-A44F-4214-B36B-24AFD0CC72CE.jpeg

Fountains of Wayne - Sky Full of Holes

E9F195E5-E6B1-4822-889F-DE5A2847AB14.jpeg
As a kid, my dad would put this Prine record on and that opening riff would induce a decent eye roll from my mom (she was not a fan of this kind of country music and “Dear Abby” drove her nuts), but it’s always been one of my favorites.

This Fountains of Wayne album was their last and it has some truly fantastic songs, as anyone familiar with their songwriting abilities would expect.

John Prine’s and Adam Schlesinger’s passing from COVID-19 within a week from each other was absolutely heartbreaking this last year and really alerted me to the spectrum of its victims.

RIP to a hip hop legend, Pimp C basically MADE Houston rap as big as it got, full of great hooks and nice beats.. RIP, lean is a dangerous drug
16098076068825772340022213176812.jpg
UGK - Ridin' Dirty

Back